Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:29 PM
12c plinker
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Want to remove paint from a model 33

Picked up a remington model 33 bolt action 22 mfg dec.1934. It was 79.00 dollars at Cabela's with a 10% clearance discount and another 20.00 for opening one of their credit cards which I'll never use ,but why not take the extra discount,I couldn't resist and it followed me home.It is a great little accurate shooter with a super tight smooth action that functions perfectly.I ran 100 Super Colibri's through it without a hiccup when I got it home(I live in a semi urban area and these are about as quiet a cap gun as not to rile the neighbors).Question I have is if anyone here has had a firearm that was painted and wants to remove it to get down to the original finish without destroying it.Looks like someone long ago painted over the original old plum patina it had as I can see it though scrapes and scratches .Haven't been on here in a long time and am now finding the time to plink with my 22's again as of lately.The paint seems to scrape off with a fingernail .Just want that old finish back.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:07 PM
slumlord44
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Most any paint striper will take the paint off the metal without damaging it. Wood is a different matter if it has been painted and you want to preserve the original finish. Careful cleaning with lacquer thinner and a once over with Tru Oil may work if you are careful.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:09 AM
12c plinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
paint

Thanks.I kinda figured that and will experiment with something mild on the paint hidden by the stock first.I just don't want to damage the old patina and whats left of the bluing if any underneath.Thankfully the wood was left alone and looks pretty nice.I hit it up with some puroleen linseed oil and it came out nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2014, 09:08 PM
W1EAT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Of all the simple single shot 22s, i like the 33 the best. Mine is absolutely reliable and accurate, and it is as light as a magic wand.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:12 PM
12c plinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
painted 33

mine is as accurate as can be and looks real simple to maintain.great little rifle.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:16 PM
Old Man 58
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
You might also try using mineral spirits or Naphtha on rag and see it it will remove the paint, shouldn't hurt the metal or wooden parts.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:36 AM
12c plinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
paint on model 33

I'll try that first.Thanks for the advice.That sounds a lot gentler on the old finish than chemical paint stripper.