Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:08 AM
desi23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumlord44 View Post
Picked up these 7 full boxes of Remington Target at St. Louis gun show today for $20 out the door. Thought the price was right for cheap shooting target ammo at todays prices. Anyone know when it was made? My plan is to wrap the best box in plastic wrap and put it in my ammo collection and put the rest in my shooting supply. One box is pretty nice. The rest are on the shabby side.
It could be from the 80's up through the 90's. A U headstamp would be earlier, 1980's era. The REM headstamp is later, I first remember seeing it in the 90's.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:22 AM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by desi23 View Post
It could be from the 80's up through the 90's. A U headstamp would be earlier, 1980's era. The REM headstamp is later, I first remember seeing it in the 90's.
From the late 90's to 2000's. Local gun shop has several bricks the last I was there. I have at least one brick myself. Not a good rifle target ammo, I use it in my target pistols as practice ammo or for plinking.

Last edited by usmc69; 01-31-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:24 PM
PWNolan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc69 View Post
From the late 90's to 2000's. Local gun shop has several bricks the last I was there. I have at least one brick myself. Not a good rifle target ammo, I use it in my target pistols as practice ammo or for plinking.
According to this document it looks like Remington began using the green and blue "Target" box in 1974.

http://www.22box-id.com/Dunn/REMINGTON.pdf

Old 01-31-2014, 02:56 PM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWNolan View Post
According to this document it looks like Remington began using the green and blue "Target" box in 1974.

I have a Remington Race Car Tin that is dated 1997 that contained seven different boxes of Remington .22 ammo. One of those boxes was REMINGTON TARGET.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:36 PM
doc540

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Old 02-04-2014, 10:36 PM
PWNolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
I have a Remington Race Car Tin that is dated 1997 that contained seven different boxes of Remington .22 ammo. One of those boxes was REMINGTON TARGET.
I was simply stating when they started using that box. In response to the original question you had stated that they were "From the late 90's to 2000's" and that's not necessarily true.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:11 PM
pepperbelly

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc540 View Post

Why can I never find something like that? It almost looks new/unfired, and in the original box.
Very nice wheelgun!
Old 02-05-2014, 12:12 AM
pepperbelly

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
From the above linked website my green and white boxed standard velocity Remington ammo is from 1967.
From many of the pics posted here of much older ammo that obviously collectible mine doesn't seem like it's worth much.
I did have someone from the Remington Collector's Society, or Association, something, send a link to a site with auctions of Remington ammo boxes. Boses like mine were up for sale for $15.00. The problem I see is that there aren't many collectors for them. I also don't understand if it's just the boxes they are collecting, or boxes of ammo.

I hate to ask again, but is the ammo I have collectible or not? If not I will probably end up shooting it unless .22 ammo starts showing up at stores again. I shoot the Federal bulk in matches but my supply is getting low. I do have 3 bricks of Winchester Super-X I will shoot after my Federal is gone, but I need to decide if I should shoot this Remington ammo or save it. It is standard velocity and I am not entirely sure how it will cycle through my Ruger MkII. I have 3 bricks of it, and between the 2 boxes of Federal bulk and 3 bricks of Winchester I have it will be some time before I may need to shoot the Remington.

So, is the green and white boxed Remington standard velocity collecting ammo or shooting ammo?
Old 02-05-2014, 05:51 AM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
I was simply stating when they started using that box. In response to the original question you had stated that they were "From the late 90's to 2000's" and that's not necessarily true.
Then from what you found to what I have shows that those boxes were in use from 1974 to at least 1997. What was untrue about my statement considering the box the tin car came in was dated 1997? I have never seen dates on any ammo boxes I can remember, unless they were some kind of commemorative.

Last edited by usmc69; 02-05-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:48 AM
doc540

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperbelly View Post
Why can I never find something like that? It almost looks new/unfired, and in the original box.
Very nice wheelgun!
Thanks

all it takes is vigilance and money

(and it got fired)
Old 02-05-2014, 12:57 PM
pepperbelly

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc540 View Post
Thanks

all it takes is vigilance and money

(and it got fired)

It was fired? Oh no- it's ruined! Send it to me and I will dispose of it for you.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:12 PM
Sav99age

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Arrow

Pepperbelly, there was a lot of the Rem green and white box Target ammo made. As you have noted there are not a lot of buyers for this as a single box. There has been a surge in buying bricks. If you have to shoot it then do so. Keep the brick/s that are in the best shape and save the empties/sleves.

I only collect full boxes but pick up clean empties and part boxes if the price is cheap. With the ammo shortage the low end collector boxes have fallen into the price range of what some are paying for shooting ammo.

.22 ammo collecting has gone the way of coin collecting. Common high production boxes that had little interest to collectors are now worth good money as shooters. Same thing happened with coin collecting (silver). A common silver coin that you couldn't get much over face value for suddenly was worth several times its face just for the silver it was made from.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:11 PM
pepperbelly

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav99age View Post
Pepperbelly, there was a lot of the Rem green and white box Target ammo made. As you have noted there are not a lot of buyers for this as a single box. There has been a surge in buying bricks. If you have to shoot it then do so. Keep the brick/s that are in the best shape and save the empties/sleves.

I only collect full boxes but pick up clean empties and part boxes if the price is cheap. With the ammo shortage the low end collector boxes have fallen into the price range of what some are paying for shooting ammo.

.22 ammo collecting has gone the way of coin collecting. Common high production boxes that had little interest to collectors are now worth good money as shooters. Same thing happened with coin collecting (silver). A common silver coin that you couldn't get much over face value for suddenly was worth several times its face just for the silver it was made from.

What are full bricks of this selling for? I need to decide whether to keep it or shoot it.
I may not have understood your post. I have 3 full bricks of ammo in the green/white boxes in the green/white brick boxes. It isn't empty boxes.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:33 PM
Sav99age

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperbelly View Post
What are full bricks of this selling for? I need to decide whether to keep it or shoot it.
I may not have understood your post. I have 3 full bricks of ammo in the green/white boxes in the green/white brick boxes. It isn't empty boxes.
$75- 125...? ... but you need a buyer.

"... (if you shoot part of them )Keep the brick/s that are in the best shape and (if you shoot them) save the empty (boxes) /sleeves.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:02 PM
FPrice
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stoeger .22 Ammunition Box

The guys in the LGS, knowing how I like older firearms and related items saved this for me. A wooden storage box containing 20 rounds of .22 Long cartridges and the name Stoeger on the top with a NYC address. I've seen similar boxes but never one for Stoeger. Has anyone else seen something like this? I am wondering how old it is and if it has any value.