Barrel replacement on MKII - Page 13 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:05 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)

Mostly because you'll likely end up with twice as much in the rebarreling as you paid for the rifle to begin with. But it likely be a very good shooter.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:14 PM
titleIIredneck

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Send a message via Yahoo to titleIIredneck
Ok guys, just bought a mark ii F no accu trigger since I did not like te sloppiness. I pulled the '2' pinsholdingvye barrel and sent it off to be cut to 16.25 and threaded 1/2x28x.400. Trigger polish did wonders and it breaks at 17oz with 0 creep and no sloppiness from side to side. Once the barrel comes in I will see how it shoots and decide to do this or not. Great thread!

Titleii
Old 10-28-2013, 01:46 PM
Doodaddy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Kind of disappointed in the lack of posts containing accuracy results for this. I'd really like to do such a thing to my sporter, but am a bit hesitant as I don't know how well it's worked for others.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:00 AM
mr2.0

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodaddy View Post
Kind of disappointed in the lack of posts containing accuracy results for this. I'd really like to do such a thing to my sporter, but am a bit hesitant as I don't know how well it's worked for others.
A bump for this thread and hopefully we can get some responds
Old 11-22-2013, 11:37 PM
HJA8

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've talked to Doodaddy privately about what can be achieved with a Mark 11 if you have the end result in mind, plenty of determination and a VERY deep pocket to achieve your goal.
I've also posted targets on here previously to illustrate how well a re-worked Savage can shoot.
My heavy barrel project build is the most accurate and consistent rim fire sporter I've owned and I would call it a .3" or better rifle at 50. Don't shoot it a lot at 100 but easily competitive with all the Anschutz 54's that I own.
I have no regrets about this project and have another on the go right now.
I certainly wouldn't advise anybody to get involved in a re-barrelling project unless you are capable of doing the work yourself. A replacement barrel is no guarantee that the rifle will shoot any better - Everything has to be up-graded to see any real advantage IMO.
I sat down last night after seeing this thread bumped and worked out just what it cost to set this rifle up.
Bear in mind that most of the parts were shipped from the US and the rifle has been up and down the east coast of Aus. several times so even the freight costs are substantial.
Make up your own mind as to value for money and no, I won't object if you think I'm a little crazy
Mark 11 - $350.00
Barrel blank - $550.00
Stock - $100.00
DIP bottom metal - $50.00
Scopes, rings & rail - $920.00
Magazines, bolt protector & bore guide - $200.00
Adjustable butt plate & recoil pad - $130.00
Trigger kits - $150.00
Gunsmithing costs - $1,100.00
Freight (approx.) - $500.00
Total - $4,050.00
Here's some info. on this rifle that I posted some time back:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=507334
Old 11-22-2013, 11:51 PM
mr2.0

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Holy!!!!
Old 11-23-2013, 06:32 AM
Zoltron.22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Exclamation

I asked santa he said No , ...I SEEN allans targets AND that thing Shoots !!! like a 22Lr RailGun.....speaking of railguns seen 6mm - .145 at 200yrs ? OMg love those lil wierd rifles

Last edited by Zoltron.22; 11-23-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:38 AM
Shynloco
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Mostly because you'll likely end up with twice as much in the rebarreling as you paid for the rifle to begin with. But it likely be a very good shooter.
INDEED VERY MUCH TO THE POINT OF SUCH AN EFFORT. And that addresses another post where disappointment set in due to the lack of posts addressing a positive accuracy result in such a venture. I dare say that's because many have come to realize such an effort AIN'T WORTH THE INVESTMENT. Now I know (from personal experience) we all are trying to get the best bang for the buck. But spending $600 on a $400 dollar rifle/ barrel change, makes no ECONOMIC sense and most don't have the bucks to burn. That's like a guy the other day who was trying to convince me that his spending $2200 on a Nightforce scope to sit atop his $700 Centerfire Remington made good sense...NOT! Now it ain't my money so I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from "burning" up their bank roll. But common sense suggest to me to just go buy a better rifle if you are chasing accuracy and rethink trying to make something what it ain't. Just my thoughts.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:03 PM
moorepower

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Here is the deal guys, 10/22 owners change their barrels because mostly, the factory barrels don't shoot well. For the most part, a rechamber and crown job will make a huge improvement on them. I still believe that the same thing done to a Savage barrel, would see similar improvement. The problem is, the end user would have to be comfortable with pinning his/ her barrel. If not the gunsmith costs would be too much.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:18 PM
Doodaddy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I've lapped my barrel and chamber as well as re crowned and it's still not quite good enough. To me, it's not about "bang for my buck". It's about shooting the rifle I want to shoot. I want to shoot my Savage, but it can't perform to my standards yet.

Allan is royalty in my book!!!!!
Old 11-23-2013, 09:17 PM
moorepower

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
It probably won't happen until summer, but I bought an FVSR that I am going to do a before and after rechamber/ crown. Hopefully it will be a shooter.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:05 AM
kkd

TPC Rating: 
100% (60)
How about a 17mach2 to 22lr conversion?

This is a real interesting thread, so I am going to bump it.

I have a MkII in 17mach2. Shoots great for what I am doing with it. It's a straight shooter and pops ground squirrels with ease.

The issue for me is ammo. I can't seem to find Mach2 at any price and hear that in the near future, the stuff might be produced only in limited quantities, if at all.
And the new price of it will most likely, not be cheap.

So for my rig, I envisioned trying to find a Savage take-off barrel in 22lr and getting someone to swap the barrels for me.
I really found this thread very interesting because, at the moment, I have a 1022 GM Heavy Taper Sporter barrel that's just sitting around not being used......
Old 02-16-2014, 10:47 PM
110FLPshooter
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I started this thread and shortly after only had time to get a couple boxes of ammo through it to adjust a newly mounted scope then I was unable to get to the range due to the long work hours and for the last 3 years I haven't been able to shoot due to a wrist injury and two surgeries. I have waited a long time to get back to this and show what this gun is capable of. I am very happy I did this mod and am planning the same thing with the 93f 22wmr I just purchased. The barrel is a GM fluted I got from here.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:39 AM
BLUElixir

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
I was one of the guys that did this mod a while back. I put a Tactical Solutions barrel on mine. My opinion is that the need for barrel swaps is less than it was before. One of the main reasons I did my swap was to get a threaded barrel. Now you can get that from Savage. I do enjoy the light weight of the TacSol barrel but it's not a huge deal. I think it would be a similar cost for you to just buy an additional gun in .22lr and keep your .17hm2 gun. If you do the work yourself, it will be cheaper to swap barrels but I'm still not sure that I would do it considering how easy it is to get a good .22lr directly from Savage. Having said that....custom is cool.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:13 PM
Zoltron.22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Must be Nice