Update on ammo for my 617 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-04-2019, 09:13 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Update on ammo for my 617

Today I fired a number of rounds of different ammo to test accuracy, dependability and cleanliness.

As always Blazers came out ahead of everything I've tested so far in the accuracy department shooting nice rounds groups of just over 1 inch. but it was so dirty that after three cylinders full I had to scrub the cylinders because the cases were sticking. I also got a 10% failure rate. The rounds went off the second time they were hit but that eliminates them from competition

I tried CCI-SV and was pleased with the accuracy about 1 1/4 inch for the best groups and again I had to clean the cylinders after only a few rounds. Same problem with Failure To Fires, but only about 2 %.

The Remington Golden Bullets shot groups averaging 2 1/2 inches at the 25 yard targets. They fired 100 % of the time and all rounds stayed into 6 inches off hand at the same distance. Not great but I was able to fire over 100 rounds and the cylinders stayed clean with easy extraction.

Federal Automatch came in about the same as Blazer and I was very please but had 1 FTF after 100 rounds. A bottle of BYOB from Federal was as clean as the Golden Bullet and groups tighter staying inside 2 inches. They were also very clean.

I may go for reliability instead of accuracy with this gun. It has a 2 1/2 pound Single Action Trigger and checks out at 7 pounds Double action. I think that is what's causing the FTFs but I like the trigger being that light. I'll experiment over the next few weeks to see how much better the gun does at 8 pounds.