.22lr, 45acp, or .357 magnum? - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-31-2019, 11:19 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

This is not a gun fight. Most animals will shy away from humans. Weight is the enemy and for every pound you carry is greater need for a lot more stamina and energy for your trip. The handgun is just extra weight to pack and something valuable to lose. I suppose there is an argument to be made to trade 10 rifle rounds for a handgun and a few speed loaders worth of ammo. The knife is cheap but essential. I agree a gun would be better than a knife up close but one must make choices in life. If one were hiking without the rifle, the handgun makes a lot of sense, but not when you have your main rifle with you. If I were dropped in the woods and could have one item to save my life, it would be a knife. One with an integral sparker would be even better. A knife can fabricate spears, help build shelters and prepare food. A handgun can shoot stuff if you are close or work as a hammer. It Can't prepare food or shelter like a knife. A skilled woodsman with a knife might also be able to fabricate traps to catch more game than you can carry rounds of ammo.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:51 PM
A square 10
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
im in accord with the J-frame , im not going there depending on a 22 backup , nor hells kitchen either , just sayin , i love all of my 22s , dont carry one daily tho
Old 11-01-2019, 12:03 AM
Hovannes
US Army Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
Considering all the weight he's planning to carry out I think his first consideration should be a pack mule. Then he can carry whatever size handgun he wants.

If it were me I would go with the 357 in a 4" model 19 S&W. Not too heavy and plenty capable for the use he has in mind.
FWIW, a good pack mule can kick the stuffings out of a cougar.
Don't ask how I know this.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:13 AM
JDWinCO

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I was hunting an early season and camped about 200 yards of a cougar with kittens. We left each other alone. If a mama cat ever needed easy pickings for a meal I was there and furthermore, here now.

I have also tripped into bears along the way, while they were a bit upset no blood was let.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:27 AM
KRD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Since he said Lion and not bear, the .357 would be my recommendation.

In fact, I prefer a 13 oz. Ruger LCR in .38 special. Today's ammo is so good that you can buy 158 gr hard cast that has been tested at 1079 fps from the LCR with 409 ft lbs of energy.

I have lived , hiked, fished and hunted in bear and lion country for the past 40 years and have not been attacked yet.
Actually, the 30-06 is probably enough.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:15 PM
edree
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
.357 for all around conditions. Minimal for bear but entirely adequate for others in defense. Hard to get my favorite, 30-06, into and out of the sleeping bag easily. My favorite handgun of all time is 1911A1, but in this case I would choose my M66.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:28 AM
jerryd
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
"Most animals will shy away from humans. Weight is the enemy and for every pound you carry is greater need for a lot more stamina and energy for your trip. The handgun is just extra weight to pack...."

At this point in time this issue is probably water under the bridge, but...

I've worked in the mountains for 25 years plus, I backpack hunt, I solo hike & camp.

*If your friend is archery hunting, then the 357

*If your friend is rifle hunting then his rifle will suffice for any issues.

Otherwise as previously stated it is just extra weight and he is already carrying a heavy pack,

Jerry
Old 11-29-2019, 05:35 PM
C.C.
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
There are a few circumstances where neither rifle, handgun or knife will be of much use.
Have the rifle at hand at ALL times, no matter how "inconvenient" it may be. Save the weight...he will be packing enough with the addition of rack and hide of any animal he collects. I envision someone akin the the HULK, if he really can carry all that!