Winchester 74 project - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:52 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Unhappy i don`t have a 74 YET

but I love my 1962 Winchester 77 though. 98%, with the end of production bolt hold open feature. not last shot HO, manual operated. I am looking for a nice condition LR 74 I can afford, LGS had one 325.00, wasn`t THAT NICE ! I passed.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:08 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Talking WOW, I AGREE !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEC View Post
Gorgeous! And about as clean as an old rifle can get. Looks like new.
you have a WINNER there, my friend, not many 74`s around in that pristine condition ! enjoy it and treasure it. JUSY REMEMBER the rule for ALL 74`s, NEVER cock the rifle with the safety ON, it really screws up the action.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:32 PM
JEC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
MajorD, PM sent responding to your question.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:12 PM
Bolz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice shooter! it has some nice figure in the wood too
Old 09-12-2019, 07:58 AM
killerv

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not to revive an older thread, but a win 74 is something I do not have in my collection and I ran across one needing some love in a pawn shop yesterday. Alot of warn bluing but no rust/pitting. Stock dark as all getout from oil/grime etc. Marked 249. I like a project every now and then but still don't want to over pay. I recently rust blued an old ruger standard and feel confident I could do the same with this gun. Of course some googling about the 74 brought me to rfc. I'm thinkin 175 possibly, 200 otd at the most, I may bring it home. Is that fair if functionally fine? Are they relatively easy to dissemble and reassemble?
Old 09-12-2019, 08:45 AM
WalnutBill22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In the condition you describe, I'd say $125 to $150 max. If it has a grooved receiver, it's worth more, but $249 would still be way too high.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:15 AM
killerv

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree, 250 is crazy. I'm always on the lookout for a project gun though, guess this one won't be it.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:52 AM
killerv

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Patience paid off and I ran across a different on in much better condition. Stock looks great, bluing on barrel is really good, but bluing on the receiver is worn, seems to be a common issue on these things, wonder why that is. No rust or pitting, just a mottled colored receiver. Looks like rear site was changed out to a king buckhorn, don't know how common that was/is for these. Dated it to 1940. I'll probably go over the existing bluing on the receiver with some rust blue at some point to blend it back together. Don't know if I'll replace the rear sight back to factory. This will be an after deer season project of course. Paid 200 otd.

From what I read, never cock with safety on...correct? I know dry firing isn't optimal but that can be hard to do on a rifle with no last round open feature....so what are yalls experience with accidental dry firing on these things?
Old 11-06-2019, 04:21 PM
USCGret
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great project! I saw a 74 in similar condition and had the same thoughts as JEC. Killerv, I saw two 74s in poor shape at $279 and $229 last week, I passed (but almost bit). I think you did well.

Last edited by USCGret; 11-06-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:57 AM
Steve Newman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Killery, you can use the yellow #4 drywall anchors from Home Depot as action proof testing dummies and dry fire snap caps. They will feed through the magazine and chamber just like .22RF cartridges. To avoid peening the chamber mouth with the firing pin on an unloaded chamber, just retract the bolt about 1/8 inch and pull the trigger, which will release the firing pin; ease the bolt back forward. If the firing pin was factory fitted, it should be fine for the occasional snap on an empty chamber; if it has been replaced (fairly common on 74s) and left too long (too much firing pin protrusion from the bolt face), you may raise a burr on the chamber mouth causing chambering and extracting issues. The Model 74 is an often overlooked "sleeper" among Winchester RF rifles and can hold its own accuracy wise, with any of its other sporter style kin, bolt action, lever action, pump or semi auto, save perhaps the Model 52. They have some unique idiosyncrasies, but aren't that difficult to understand....see the YouTube post about complete bolt disassembly. Very durable and reliable if maintained properly, accurate and fun adult sized rimfire. Enjoy yours.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:25 AM
killerv

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
thanks!
Old 11-23-2019, 09:52 AM
NHcollector

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Today I finally found my Model 74, some pics were posted last April. I loaded up some American Eagle Suppressor 45gr. ammo and went at my backyard steel, it functioned perfectly. Unfortunately CCI Quiets didn't cycle the action, though they were quieter than the American Eagle ammo. A rifle that will cycle pretty much any ammo is the Remington 552, those also have the benefit of a less awkward loading drill. I do think that the Model 74 has the better trigger though.