Ruining the Mustang Brand - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-19-2019, 04:53 PM
thesandman
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

I think Chrysler helped ruin Shelby. I feel Ford didn't apply much effort in naming a new vehicle with a new propulsion system. I think the new ev needs a new name, it's certainly not a mustang.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:30 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I too think that naming the new EV as a Mustang is dumb. But I do understand some of their thoughts behind the naming decision. The Mustang is a strong seller and very popular, while the Ford sedans such as the Focus, Fusion, Taurus, etc., are discontinued. The Mustang name is supposed to bring a strong brand associated success recognition along with it instead of associating the new vehicle with past names that are dull and declining or axed altogether. Maybe the Taurus name would have been better instead of riding the coattails of a sport coupe. At one time the Taurus was a huge seller. Ford screwed up when they named the replacement Taurus as the "Ford 500", sales plummeted, they quickly reverted to the Taurus name but too late as the decreased sales trend kept on.

I think surrendering the medium and small sedan market for suv's and "crossover vehicles" is a mistake. GM seems todoing the same. But I see zillions of Kia, Hyundia, Honda, Toyota, Mazda etc., small to large sedans and hatches every day. I don't think that the problem is declining sales overall of ALL sedans, the problem is with what Ford, GM and Chrysler were making.

In the meantime, sales of two door sport coups like the Mustang, Challenger and Camaro seem to be booming.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:57 PM
RichJ
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
So lets say you wave the magic green wand and tomorrow all the cars are electric and you can charge them as quickly as you can fill your gas tank. What do we do with all the unused gasoline? A barrel of crude is mostly gasoline, in order to keep all the jets flying and trucks rolling we would need to extract the same amount of oil. Do we dump it like they did when all they wanted was kerosene for lamps because chasing them whales was tough and time consuming.
Unless thereís a lithium powered 737 on the horizon Iím unaware of.
Donít get me started on container ships.......probably the dirtiest things on the planet.

My 2 cents...........just leave it on the counter.......thatís what itís worth

Rich
Old 11-19-2019, 07:14 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Oh yeah, lets be sooo green! But where does all that electricity come from? Lets see, gotta hire an electrician to put in a charging station at home or in your storage place too and how about that sinking feeling when you are tooling down the road watching your voltmeter quickly dropping yet miles from a plug-in?
No worries, though, at the sticker price they arent going to sell many.
Mustang? NO. Elec Pinto, maybe.....
Ha! That's it! They should've resurrected the Pinto! That name would've fit the car better.

BTW, any car that requires us to increase the deficit with "subsidies," by definition, can't compete in the market place. I like the idea of an EV, but the application must be able to sustain itself.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:18 PM
scooter22

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
They should call it the Moray, as in eel. There are electric eels ya know.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:37 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I like it
Old 11-19-2019, 08:47 PM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong View Post
Tesla Model 3
Thank you, but no. I'd much rather have a car that's not an expensive POS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCIo8e12sBM
Old 11-19-2019, 08:51 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I saw that electric Mustang on the news and was it ever ugggg-lee!!!!! It looked nothing like a traditional Mustang. It had a body style similar to a Prius. I shook my head and mentioned to my wife that nobody would think of it as a Mustang. I tend to appreciate hybrid autos more than the strictly electric. If you have rolling blackouts similar to those that Californians have recently experienced, your electric vehicle might as well be a buggy in your garage, without a horse to pull it. An electric vehicle has to have a dependable source of electricity! A hybrid vehicle has the benefits of a gas auto (with great gas mileage), and excelllent get-up-and-go, like an electric vehicle. The new Mustang...NO THANKS!
Old 11-19-2019, 09:38 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Like it or not l couldn't buy one, prices from $45,000 to $65,000. Have to get an old worn out one.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:00 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think that the mustang brand suffered irreparable harm with the introduction of the Mustang II. As for EVs , ill use one, when Uber has self driving ones.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:06 PM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichJ View Post
So lets say you wave the magic green wand and tomorrow all the cars are electric and you can charge them as quickly as you can fill your gas tank. What do we do with all the unused gasoline? A barrel of crude is mostly gasoline, in order to keep all the jets flying and trucks rolling we would need to extract the same amount of oil. Do we dump it like they did when all they wanted was kerosene for lamps because chasing them whales was tough and time consuming.
C'mon dude, don't you know how much of that oh-so-clean electricalism can be produced by burning a gallon of gas at a power plantation?
Old 11-20-2019, 12:09 AM
RichJ

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee3 View Post
C'mon dude, don't you know how much of that oh-so-clean electricalism can be produced by burning a gallon of gas at a power plantation?
When I was still working at the ĎLiberal Arts Colledgeí in Chicago I would tell the youngsters their grand kids would still be driving gasoline powered vehicles.
And unlike the Apple plants in China there were no oil drilling platforms that had suicide nets around them.

Rich
Old 11-20-2019, 06:16 AM
tommyt654

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
LOL,So much disinformation here.I was in Chattanooga recently and have seen these elsewhere as well.Charging stations being built at Wamarts located near U.S. Highways,so there's that issue resolved then there's the fact less than 35% of a barrel of oil is used to produce gasoline.It is the future and it is coming and the car manufacturers have realized it is the future.You can sit and watch it go by(and many will probably be gone) before it is completely realized or you can adapt and recognize the savings early on and help to reduce pollution globally(as we all should be doing) for our future generations or sit on our hands or twiddle out thumbs while the fututre pass's us by
Attached Images
File Type: jpg charging station.jpg (296.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: png Barrel.png (216.7 KB, 60 views)
Old 11-20-2019, 07:53 AM
TrblShtr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Has the brand ever got over this mess?

Old 11-20-2019, 08:54 AM
Tex45LC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
After growing up around a couple of oldies that had the deep muscle car rumble...EV's are an insult to the god of horsepower and the almighty internal combustion engine. As far as Ford using Mustang on an EV....do they still burn heretics?

Anyhoo...EV's got their own set of problems...I mean all that electricity still has to come from somewhere. Last time I looked...I could by a new car w/ IC engine for what it'd cost to replace the battery.