Old 10-31-2019, 12:04 PM
Plinkhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
Here's another good link from the article above, to an interview with a former supervisor.
wi
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/front...ws/bryant.html
Talk about hype. That employee had a discrimination lawsuit against the company. Do you think he can be believed as voicing fact? He also said dishonest employees were stealing from the company and selling out the door to gangs. The company selling out the door is a different deal than dirty employees.

I'm not defending sat nite specials but if they were 1/2 as bad as what I read in the first link there would be a lot of injured people out. Finding credible facts to support that is going to be a wild ride at best. I still see these pieces of cheap work at gun ranges all the time and nobody has gone home bloody. What I see most is failures to cycle.

I can't argue about most RGs. Many yrs ago I was gifted one like in the pic. I think it was a Mod 23 but went out of time right out of NIB. A friend asked me to check it out and all of the internal parts looked fine. It was so loose from the factory it wouldn't shoot one full cyl without locking up. He didn't want it back so I used it as a trader gun. On the flip side I bought a NOS RG Super 66 SA Colt 22 clone on a lark in the 80s because it had a 9" barrel...totally different gun quality but still under the gun control act. Still shots same as new and only shows a little top strap wear at the flash line. This is with maybe 5k of high vel rds though it. It's more fun to shoot than my much better quality super single sixes.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:06 PM
nwmousegunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
jennings J22

The question was did anyone have one. I have one that I bought in 1991 at a gun show. I still have it, the box it came in, instructions and parts list, and a spare magazine that came with it. I also have and Iver Johnson TP22 that was mentioned. Mine have been completely reliable with high-speed ammunition. I collect pocket pistols and have some in .22 short, long, and long rifle, plus .25 acp. I use mine as strictly plinking and fun guns. I have never suffered slide bite or hammer bite.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:08 PM
GreggieBoy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shot Stingers in mine just once. Figured too many rounds might be too much.

One thing I like about it is the bluing. Even for an inexpensive gun the bluing is very decent.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:48 PM
BigLoop22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Toomany22s,

See if a "Long" round will fit in that RG10. Originally, they were advertised as shooting .22Long, and .22Short. Mine says ".22Short", but longs fit the cylinder, too.

BigLoop22
Old 11-02-2019, 07:39 AM
Andyd
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Back in the 90s I had bought guns by the shoebox from a dealer that bought blue 55 gallon drums at law enforcement auctions in Indianapolis and there was a Raven among it. I shot it only 50 rounds but the gun performed flawlessly.

I had also gotten a lot of Roehm revolvers and there was a huge difference in their quality, some were actually fairly nice revolvers.

At that time I was very actively shooting matches and, of course, one other match shooter spotted me trying a .38 Special Roehm with a swing out cylinder right before one match and laughed about the gun and could stop making fun of it. I shot that Roehm the same night in the revolver league and he stopped laughing when he came in behind me with his tricked out S&W 686.

I enjoyed the experience to own and shoot a wide variety of firearms but, while some Roehms and Jennings do work, there are definitely better guns that offer better accuracy and longevity.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:03 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLoop22 View Post
Toomany22s,

See if a "Long" round will fit in that RG10. Originally, they were advertised as shooting .22Long, and .22Short. Mine says ".22Short", but longs fit the cylinder, too.

BigLoop22
Only shorts, and 3 out of 6 cylinders fire, rhe other three have chronic light strikes! But the holster is awesome
Old 11-02-2019, 02:00 PM
dimeman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The only problem I have had with mine in the 30+ years is failure to feed on some standard velocity rounds and some of the bulk HV. I have seen a few people shoot them at the gun range over the years, and never saw any Jennings pistol blow up or hurt anyone.
Just a guess but I bet more people had one than will admit to.......
Old 11-03-2019, 02:36 PM
Plinkhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I found this blog about Jennings while searching on the gun control act. Interesting history and timeline. Evidently they were introduced after the gun control act and mfg in the USA but never banned. http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/201...ings-j-22.html
Old 11-16-2019, 07:02 PM
dimeman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just picked up a Jimenez JA22, the newer version of the Jennings J22.
There has to be some improvements, even slightly, in the 30+ years of this pistol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ja22 left.jpg (141.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg ja22 right.jpg (145.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-16-2019, 07:24 PM
gray-beard

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Raven 22

Another cheap 22 was the Raven from the same time frame.
A friend picked on up in the mid 70s and when she took it to the range for the first time she loaded the magazine (7 rounds?) pulled the trigger and it zipped out all 7 rounds. ZZZIIIPPPP!!
She got rid of it........
Old 11-16-2019, 10:07 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A friend gave me a Raven 25 acpNIB. With a box of 22lr.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 768ADACE-F5B3-4BEE-B5D5-551BDD853A53.jpg (510.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 11-17-2019, 09:35 AM
Plinkhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
A friend gave me a Raven 25 acpNIB. With a box of 22lr.

Compare the Raven to the Jennings slide where the web of your thumb rides on the grip. Jennings has more space to keep the slide from rubbing on your hand if gripped high. That's an improvement.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:29 PM
NHcollector

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
With all the better quality firearms out there why would anyone waste their time with this junk?
Old 11-17-2019, 07:02 PM
dimeman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
'cause we want to
Old 11-17-2019, 07:34 PM
laylow

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHcollector View Post
With all the better quality firearms out there why would anyone waste their time with this junk?
They are interesting pieces of history, and sometimes cheap guns can be fun and reliable. Sometimes.