Built to tune - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:49 AM
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Built to tune

I was wondering if there is a barrel size favored by builders for tuning. Also is there sizes that don't react well to tuners? Thanks.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:56 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Typically from what I understand shorter barrels don't respond well to a tuner. I think anything 20" and longer is gtg. But then again I don't use tuners so maybe someone else can give you better info.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:57 PM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
My experience has been good with .850, .875, and .900.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2019, 02:39 PM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesandman View Post
I was wondering if there is a barrel size favored by builders for tuning. Also is there sizes that don't react well to tuners? Thanks.
Longer is better. I am currently shooting a .850 28" BM it goes from 1.00 to radius taper to .850 originally it was 1.200 and I had the smith turn it down to 1.00 my reason to open the bore slightly on the chamber end.

a RFC member here is shooting 25"+ .920 shilen and a lite tuner shot his first 2500 first time out so barrel diameter plus length will create it's own situation

Lee
Old 09-28-2019, 03:05 PM
mwezell
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesandman View Post
Just by the fact that you're asking this question, I believe you're thinking along the right lines for tuning.
I've tested barrels from .750 straight on air rifles up to 16" of 1.450 barrel in front of a barrel block. I made a jig to simulate a receiver to be held in a vise on a mill and used a dial indicator to measure barrel droop. The idea being to get the same droop from a stiffer or a less stiff barrel with differing weights at the muzzle. It was predictable and I was able to calculate what I felt was the ideal weight of the tuner for that rifle. Even if the ideal weight is not a major factor, it allowed me to expect barrels of different stiffnesses to respond similarly to a different barrel and tuner combination. I used some of what I learned to design a barrel contour that is working well for me. Well enough that it just won a national championship, although in cf.

I also have a 24" 1.250 straight barrel on a different rifle. It shoots very well but initially, I struggled "seeing" tune on target. It just didn't have enough muzzle deflection to show the state of tune on paper as clearly as the less stiff barrels do.
I'm not sure what the ideal weight to stiffness ratio is for rf but I think you're on the right track. Keep in mind that stiffness goes down much faster with added length than with added diameter. There's a good barrel stiffness calculator on Lilja Barrel's website for doing it on your computer. Just google lilja barrel weight calculator. The stiffness formula is built into the weight program. Good info. Just play with the numbers a bit once you find it.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:56 AM
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thanks for the replies. I have a heavy barrel m12 that i was also wanting to tune. Thought maybe some smiths liked a certain length and profile?