Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:35 PM
rolltide
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)

Last year, I fell in love with this ammo. It shot like match ammo in several rifles, and was HARD on squirrels, especially when used in my Sako Quad.

I'm perplexed with it now though...when I went to make sure all was good with the Quad before season this year, the groups were terrible. I thought maybe something was up with the rifle, but can't seem to get decent groups with any of the remaining ammo I purchased last year.

The ammo has been stored inside my office, with no exposure to extreme temps or moisture, but it shot so poorly, that I used other ammo to hunt with on opening day.

Any idea what would cause the change in performance?

I was so happy with the ammo last year, that I stocked up with a case or two from SG....

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Old 09-21-2019, 08:58 AM
flylo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
97% (149)
That happened to me with TAC 22, the 1st box shot 10 great groups at 85 yards the best being .198 C-C & did well for several years than the accuracy just fell off.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:02 AM
K22
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide View Post
Last year, I fell in love with this ammo. It shot like match ammo in several rifles, and was HARD on squirrels, especially when used in my Sako Quad.

I'm perplexed with it now though...when I went to make sure all was good with the Quad before season this year, the groups were terrible. I thought maybe something was up with the rifle, but can't seem to get decent groups with any of the remaining ammo I purchased last year.

The ammo has been stored inside my office, with no exposure to extreme temps or moisture, but it shot so poorly, that I used other ammo to hunt with on opening day.

Any idea what would cause the change in performance?

I was so happy with the ammo last year, that I stocked up with a case or two from SG....

Any input is greatly appreciated!
This is my go to Squirrel ammo and has been since the late 70's. It shoots very well in most any rimfire I have. I've compared it to the older rounds which I still have plenty of and the new rounds shoot the same as the older.
I've never had accuracy fall off using this ammo, makes me wonder if your barrels are leaded up or maybe carboned up. After that I would start a scope, ring mounts, and then rifle check.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:58 PM
Shorty123

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Received my 2 bricks today. Lot# 47LL7. Hope to get to try it this week.
Thanks!
Old 09-26-2019, 12:50 PM
Shorty123

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I stopped in my LGS this morning. I try to stop once a month and check out the used 22 rack. I looked below the rack on the shelves at the ammo and saw this very same ammo by the brick and box. I cant see very good anymore and couldnt see the pricing. A salesman came over and I asked the pricing. 10.75 a box or 107 a brick. I asked are you sure. He said oh yes. That is German target ammo. I ddint elaborate with him, just said Thanks.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:45 PM
1longshot
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post
Great stuff. Bought a case awhile back.
https://www.sgammo.com/site_search?p...e=RWS+SUBSONIC
Thanks for the heads up. Seems like a good deal. I just purchased some. This is the highest quality 22 ammo I have ever purchased. Hopefully it shoots well. If not, it wasn’t much more expensive than some bulk ammo I have purchased.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:24 AM
Frank3

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
does this cycle your 10/22 fine?

They have RWS high velocity HP for about the same price too (haven't shot any of this)

I am usually an RWS pistol match or rifle match and those shoot really well in my guns.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/22-lr...ield-line-ammo

What do you guys think between the Subsonic and High velocity?
Old 10-02-2019, 08:18 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by K22 View Post
I've compared it to the older rounds which I still have plenty of and the new rounds shoot the same as the older.
I've never had accuracy fall off using this ammo
K22...I don't know what that other poster's issue is because like you I haven't had any issues like he said he was having...zero-zippo issues for me with this ammo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty123 View Post
A salesman came over and I asked the pricing. 10.75 a box or 107 a brick. I asked are you sure. He said oh yes. That is German target ammo. I ddint elaborate with him, just said Thanks.
That's a going price (and not all that bad a price) at an LGS not to mention a going price at some of the online dealers as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1longshot View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Seems like a good deal. I just purchased some. This is the highest quality 22 ammo I have ever purchased. Hopefully it shoots well. If not, it wasn’t much more expensive than some bulk ammo I have purchased.
You're welcome. What's to lose? Right? These rounds SSHP as well as HVHP are less that 5 cents per! You can not go wrong because if they do not perform extremely perfect in your gun you pretty much can't buy better ammo any cheaper. Nada...no way...no how! I honestly believe that if you do your part this ammo will do its part. Don't shoot 10 or even 15 and expect these to then be spectacular...anoint the bore with their lubrication for 15 or more rounds and do your part by practicing and submitting your very best shooting behavior. Do your part and as I said I do believe you will then see that this ammo is capable of doing its part!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank3 View Post
does this cycle your 10/22 fine?

They have RWS high velocity HP for about the same price too (haven't shot any of this)
I bought some of the RWS HVHP's but didn't accuracy test it yet. I did accuracy test the RWS SSHP's I bought from SGammo and they shot five under a dime at 52 yards from a Weatherby/Anschutz! I'm a happy camper!
Old 10-02-2019, 11:01 PM
Frank3

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post

I bought some of the RWS HVHP's but didn't accuracy test it yet. I did accuracy test the RWS SSHP's I bought from SGammo and they shot five under a dime at 52 yards from a Weatherby/Anschutz! I'm a happy camper!

Is the HVHP lubed as much as the rest? Got a match chamber on my boys RPRr and I have to clean it often with the RWS pistol match ammo due to lube causing cases to stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2019, 08:58 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank3 View Post
Is the HVHP lubed as much as the rest? Got a match chamber on my boys RPRr and I have to clean it often with the RWS pistol match ammo due to lube causing cases to stick.
Iv'e never shot RWS Pistol Match but I have shot RWS SSHP's in the Wby/Ann which is a bolt action as is your Ruger Precision Rimfire and the Wby/Ann has a Tight Chamber. Iv'e never had a problem with extraction. The RWS SSHP's and HVHP's have similar lube thickness, thin (not a dump truck worth) and it seems that the same type of lube is used for both SSHP and HVHP. The HVHP's may have slightly less at least in the two lots I just now compared.

I'm going to go out on a limb here. Not a too small limb I hope.

Personally I'd think it not an ammo issue but rather a gun issue.

Perhaps your Extractor Claws are somewhat rounded? Or your Extractor Spring is a bit weak? Both could allow the action to bypass the slippery rim leaving the spent case in the chamber.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:15 AM
RickClark28

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the links! Good prices and another good source for keeping up on stock for the family. Good prices an 22LR, 9mm and 45ACP. I have a good local source and get the same here at times but these sites compete at the same rate and deliver. Love it. Being older I sometimes hesitate to use the internet but this year have ordered ammo form Midway and Sportsman guide (22LR) and was very happy.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:12 PM
Frank3

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Couldn’t resist.

Bought a box of Subsonic HP and some RWS semiauto to test out in my guns. My kidd 10/22 and my boys RPRr loves RWS rifle match and pistol match so I hope it works just as well