Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:19 PM
skwerl58
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I used scopes on my rimfires for years, they have their place. But last year I hunted with only open sights (peep) and did fine. I have added peep sights to my muzzle loader and killed a 7 and 8 pointer with it. I enjoy my old 22's with peeps and regular sights but at 60 I shoot much better with the peeps. Hope to get out again this fall and shoot some bushy tails!
Old 07-09-2019, 03:43 PM

TPC Rating: 
90% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwheel View Post
Yep. For me 40 is when the lights went out. Canít focus as fast and low light is a challenge.
Yep !
Old 07-09-2019, 05:23 PM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
I've been trying to follow this thread but I can't find my glasses.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:46 PM
rswink

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alum572 View Post
I've been trying to follow this thread but I can't find my glasses.
You mock, but that is real. I have most things available on a 60" plasma across the room as a back up plan.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2019, 10:43 PM
tbates66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I was a young kid around 10-12 years old, I was puzzled as to why older guys couldn't hit a squirrel in the top of a 40-50 ft oak tree with open sights. It seemed easy to me. Of course, the operating variable is eyesight. I was blessed with superb eyesight as a youngster, which followed me through most of my adult life. It finally caught up with me and now I really need help for any close up work. About 20 years ago (I'm now 72) I had to start wearing readers to work on my guns and of course reading. Still don't wear glasses for anything else, but I have lots of scopes and can't see open sights worth a crap. I started using scopes long before my eyes started to change for long distance. I still keep my Winchester 67 single shot .22 and shoot the occasional backyard varmint. And I plink with it. The sights are fuzzy, but still good enough for plinking.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:15 PM
Bloodhound
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have 2 rifles that regularly get carried to the woods. Both are Winchester 72s, one scoped and they other un-scoped. It depends on the cover and the light and the "Mood" as to what is in my hands...I love them both...my skills with iron sights have fallen off with that %$^$$## aging eyesight...oh well that's just part of it.

Last edited by Bloodhound; 07-10-2019 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:33 PM
BadgerJack
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I LOVE hunting/shooting with open sights, but necessity dictates they are unusable, or, MOST of them are.
Anything with the rear mounted on the barrel is not, but if it has a properly mounted receiver [peep] sight or tang sight, I can still put rounds downrange.
If a receiver/tang sight cannot be mounted, then the scope is king!
Old 07-11-2019, 11:14 PM
prairie maggot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I hunt with both open sights and optics. Love them both. I have an old marlin 39A with open sights as well as two CZ 455 trainers and a Win 75T with aperture sights. I find shooting something like rabbits with them much more effective with fast target acquisition. It is easier to get tight groups from a scope on a bench, but if shooting freehand I believe that the lighter and better balanced rifles with open sights can group better. I do three things to facilitate shooting with open sights.

first, I always keep both eyes open and on the target. That helps with fast target acquisition and gives better depth perception.

Second, you need to make sure that your rifle fits well - shoulder placement, cheek weld, etc so that when you bring your rifle up it is on target and the rear and front sights are in proper alignment.

Third, if your gun fits properly and your sights are in alignment, then only focus on your front sight and your target. This helps with old eyes and focus. Trying to line up the rear sight and focus on it, your front sight and your target is just too much for even many young eyes. BTW, I am 65 yrs. old.

If I am out in the field using open sights, I can usually out shoot others (and myself) who are using optics when shooting targets of reasonable size - this may be 4-6 inch targets out to 100+ yards. Shooting small targets like a ground squirrels head poking out of a hole is better done with a scope. Burt

Last edited by prairie maggot; 07-11-2019 at 11:16 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:46 AM
gastooon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think scopes are good tool for successful hunting. I use scopes too but sometimes I use biniculars. I have CenterPoint 72002 1-4◊20 MSR Rifle Scope. Have you ever tried it?? The CenterPoint 72002 1-4◊20 MSR Rifle Scope features an etched glass, quick aim, 3 MOA center dot reticle, designed with high precision for all your long-range shooting needs. I found it in review https://opticzoo.com/best-scope-for-...fle-under-100/

Last edited by gastooon; 07-18-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:13 PM
JG26_Irish

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Iron sight hunting

If I was hunting for only food and survival, I would use my scoped rifles but since it is more for sport in my case, I removed the red dot sight from my Winchester mod 97 trapper in 44mag and installed a set of Williams ghost ring sights. That simple mod simply made that rifle. For short range deep woods shooting it is the bomb. I have two single shot 22's for squirrels. An old Mod 41 Rem that was a family heirloom which I learned to shoot with as a kid and a recent acquisition in a Winchester mod 67 single shot. I just finished regulating the sights to get it centered with Lapua CX ammo. From a bench at 50y I was able to place three shots in a row into the 10 ring of the NRA A23 tgt. 5sh groups were reasonably well centered and running about 1-1.5" most of the time. I am planning to squirrel hunt with it some this season.

I shot a iron sight BR postal match back in the spring with a peep sighted Rem mod 540XR. That rifle was also using Lapua CX ammo and scored a 200 out of 200 from 50y on the std NRA A23 tgt. I am 62 and my eyes are not as clear as they used to be but I can still see the sights for a while but I tire faster than I did when I was on the rifle team in college. I have found that a Men's multi vitamin that included Lutein helps my eyes to stay sharp and focus better. I am thinking about trying the Remington or a old Vostok CM2 that I have also with peeps to hunt squirrel some weekend. They both are too heavy to lug around for too long but it would be fun to try since they both are about twice as accurate as the little Mod 67 or Mod 41. None of them can compete with my scoped rifles but have both the benefit of having the sights very close to the bore axis and easier to acquire moving tgts. This will help with closer tgts where a scoped rifle can be tough to stay in contact with a tgt jumping from one leafy branch to the next. Should be an interesting season. I can't wait.

Irish
Old 07-19-2019, 10:50 PM
savagelover22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 45 year old eeyes are not as good as when i was a sharpshooting youth but give me an 80s model marlin 60 with the cheap factory sights or my savage springfield 187 click clack and I can still shot the bullseye out at 35 yards lol. Scopes are great too but when I get 'over 6x I concentrate too hard on the movement I see in the crosshairs. With the irons I just throw em on the bullseye or critter and pull the trigger. My uncle used to tell if you study long you study wrong! How true it is. Never cared for tech sights though. If I could swap out the peep/ghost ring or techs (whatever you call em') on my m1 carbine clone for a v-notch and front blade i gladly would.