bolt buffers and malfunctions? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:46 AM
mpolk
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

BTW, not much machining there anyway. Nearly all of the ruger receiver cross pins fall out. That is why they sell tighter replacements, LOL
Old 06-24-2019, 08:08 AM
twodollarpistol
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpolk View Post
BTW, not much machining there anyway. Nearly all of the ruger receiver cross pins fall out. That is why they sell tighter replacements, LOL
No machining at all to a piece of steel rod and $ .06 worth of fuel line but some people pay $6.00 for that. Then you have to face the east and bow 3 times while standing on your head to install and call it good. Which is cool if you like those.
After reading this thread, especially Dr Gunner, from whom I have gleaned much good info from his knowledge and experience, Im considering just leaving the thing out all together. Can't hurt. Can it?
But all joking aside I have started thinking , which has been known to be almost fatal at times, about experimenting with a wooden dowel just for kicks and giggles.
Let you know how that turns out.
TDP

P.S. Yep, d*** things do fall out
Old 06-24-2019, 11:02 PM
Horsefly

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Wink I suggest that....

You use whatever "floats yer' boat". Some things are simply personal preferance & if you don't want to follow the heard, go your own way. I suggest that you use buffers & whatever else that works for you & that you have confidence in.

If going with wood, I highly recommend mesquite dowles as they are much more supple & hold up better than than what's available from the local hardware store. Especially with HV ammo......

BTW....I cut my own from a proprietary stock....
Old 06-25-2019, 12:15 AM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodollarpistol View Post
No machining at all to a piece of steel rod and $ .06 worth of fuel line but some people pay $6.00 for that. Then you have to face the east and bow 3 times while standing on your head to install and call it good. Which is cool if you like those.
After reading this thread, especially Dr Gunner, from whom I have gleaned much good info from his knowledge and experience, Im considering just leaving the thing out all together. Can't hurt. Can it?
But all joking aside I have started thinking , which has been known to be almost fatal at times, about experimenting with a wooden dowel just for kicks and giggles.
Let you know how that turns out.
TDP

P.S. Yep, d*** things do fall out
I had to laugh at your “$.06 worth of fuel line” comment.
I said that I run Kidd buffers, but that’s only partly true- I have one in my SG and in my Lilja barreled Kidd classic receiver, because they came with buffers. I made my own for the other 4 customs.
I’m in the habit of breaking and/or dulling 1/8” drill bits.
I buy them by the dozen, and use them to drill & tap rod stock for my chamber cleaning tools. When I break a drill bit, it goes in the “10-22 buffer stock” container.
I grind the drill bits to length, cut and slip them into a $.06 piece of fuel line, and make my own buffer. For the cost of a broken drill bit & some tubing.

DrGunner

Last edited by DrGunner; 06-25-2019 at 12:20 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:50 AM
twodollarpistol

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post
I had to laugh at your “$.06 worth of fuel line” comment.
I said that I run Kidd buffers, but that’s only partly true- I have one in my SG and in my Lilja barreled Kidd classic receiver, because they came with buffers. I made my own for the other 4 customs.
I’m in the habit of breaking and/or dulling 1/8” drill bits.
I buy them by the dozen, and use them to drill & tap rod stock for my chamber cleaning tools. When I break a drill bit, it goes in the “10-22 buffer stock” container.
I grind the drill bits to length, cut and slip them into a $.06 piece of fuel line, and make my own buffer. For the cost of a broken drill bit & some tubing.

DrGunner
My wife tells me I have a strange sense of humor, and I guess I do. I hope I haven't offended anyone with my tongue in cheek comments, Especially the good folks at Kidd. They are top notch with many fine products that I kike and use. I just aint a fan of the buffers on several levels. Mainly, however, Im just too fumble fingered with my seventy two year old messed up hands to install them. And as far as using wood, I would only use Bois D'Arc....Cause its pretty.
Again I was only stirring the pot for fun and if I have offended any one I do apologize. And by the way Dr G.,you ARE awesome.
Yall have a great day. TDP

P.S. Horsefly, Im sorry but I rarely "follow the heard". Far too much BS on that trail. I generally cut through the woods and make my own way.

Last edited by twodollarpistol; 06-25-2019 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:14 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I'm not really concerned about the OEM buffer causing any damage, although I have seen pictures where the receiver has cracks coming from the buffer hole. I just prefer the aftermarket ones. One of the reasons why Ruger probably still uses them is because, unlike a derlin buffer the steel ones never wear out and have to be replaced. Also they're impervious to all the different solvents and oils that people use. I don't think they necessarily "machine" them. They probably get lengths of steel rod and cut hundreds of them at a time. It probably cost them a couple cents each. I'm assuming there's a reason why all the other companies other than Ruger making 10/22's don't use steel buffers.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:04 PM
Sitka Charlie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up It is to larf...

Maybe that's why my 10/22 is so much quieter. I thought it was the buffer, but it could be all the machined pins that require finger pressure to seat in the receiver. No rattling...
Old 06-29-2019, 04:18 PM
Steeveedee
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I went with the Kidd style bolt buffer pin. I should/could have made my own, but I did buy the first one. I didn't care about any clanking. My issue was that the scope screws (replaced the factory mount with a Pic rail setup) kept coming loose, and with the original dovetail scope mount, the scope actually started to slide off the rail. This was with any ammo I've shot through it. With the vacuum hose buffer pin, I've run about a thousand rounds through it without scope issues. I've never seen this with anyone else's rifle. I was scratching my head for quite awhile.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:42 PM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
I went with the Kidd style bolt buffer pin. I should/could have made my own, but I did buy the first one. I didn't care about any clanking. My issue was that the scope screws (replaced the factory mount with a Pic rail setup) kept coming loose, and with the original dovetail scope mount, the scope actually started to slide off the rail. This was with any ammo I've shot through it. With the vacuum hose buffer pin, I've run about a thousand rounds through it without scope issues. I've never seen this with anyone else's rifle. I was scratching my head for quite awhile.
Blue Loctite on all scope rail screws.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:53 AM
Steeveedee
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post
Blue Loctite on all scope rail screws.
Believe it or not, they still worked loose! I haven't had a loose screw (on the scope) since I installed the Kidd buffer. I know it sounds crazy. I may have gotten some gun cleaning solvents on the screws, which could have dissolved the Loctite. No Loctite presently, but I'm keeping an eye on the screw torques, just in case.