First time Henry owner... - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:30 PM
JDouglas

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
First time Henry owner...

I have never owned a lever action rifle but have always wanted one. I was lucky last night and I won one from Pheasants Forever. It's a Henry Golden Boy 22 Mag and it has Pheasants Forever on the stock. I will be picking it up at the gun shop tomorrow. Is there anything I need to know as a new Henry owner? My eyesight isn't as good as it once was so I may be upgrading the sights or putting on a small scope. Will a small red dot work on this rifle?
Old 03-31-2019, 09:34 PM
judgejohnmd
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Put a Skinner rear with fiber optic front; great sight picture. LOVE my golden boy .22 mag!!
John in MD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2019, 10:07 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Congratulations! Youíre gonna have a lot of fun. Yes they take scopes and red dots and peep sights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2019, 08:45 AM
briggleman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Depending on your eyesight issues, you may find all you need is a good pair of 1.0 or 1.25 shooting glasses. The main thing is to see the front sight. I use a pair of the 1.25 shooting glasses at the range and it makes hitting 3" clays at 50 yards easy. I have a few Henry rifles, but only one with a scope (see thru rings though to use the irons if needed). My small game came with the Skinner sights and it makes target acquisition quick. It is definitely a hunter's rifle, not a target one (at least for me)

On my 357 Big Boy I added fiber optic sights and it is a tack driver with 38 specials or 357 mags at 50 yards. I really do not shoot beyond that distance with any of my arms.

Brad

Last edited by briggleman; 04-01-2019 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:31 PM
BCRider

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Golden Boy isn't a great setup for scopes or high axis red dots. First off there's no dovetail mount on the cover. Secondly the drop angle of the shoulder stock is relatively extreme compared to the other Henry models. So it's already more of a "jaw weld" than it is a higher "cheek bone weld". And a scope or higher axis red dot will only make that worse.

If your eyesight is such that the other worthy suggestions above simply won't do and you MUST have a scope or red dot I'd suggest you see if you can trade the Golden Boy over for a Frontier model. Obviously as a commemorative this won't work for going back to the dinner organizers. But perhaps you can find someone to do such a swap. The Frontier is set up with a dovetail on the cover and a higher comb which will suit such use to a far better degree.

As far as levers go be prepared to be swept away if you're at all prone to enjoying the need to do SOMETHING before each shot. I'm such a person myself. Only one of my roughly dozen rimfire rifles is a semi auto and that one is already up for sale. I've got single shot falling block and Martini, pumps and levers. For pure fast action plinking it's really a toss up as to the pumps or levers being my favorites. But it's more than safe to say that my Henry rimfire rifles are not going anyplace any time soon. Love them levers ! ! ! ! !
Old 04-05-2019, 11:22 AM
gunsisme
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Recommend a .22mag henry lever action please?
Old 04-05-2019, 12:07 PM
judgejohnmd
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Luvní my H004 Golden Boy: didnít necessary want/need the fanciness, but my LGS gave me a great price on it, so couldnít resist!! Very smooth action right out of the box!!
Judgejohnmd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2019, 12:41 PM
DGF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I’ve got the bog standard 22 mag lever. The fit is perfect for me , the only other gun that fits me that well off the shelf is a Beretta 686