FTI - Aguila .22 Win Mag.40 gr JHP, NP, lot 02CH18 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:14 PM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
FTI - Aguila .22 Win Mag.40 gr JHP, NP, lot 02CH18

I bought three boxes of the "Silver Eagle 40 gr.HV w/nickel-plated casing" ammo for the first time about the first week in October. My LGS was out of the .22WMR brass case 40 gr. I normally use. I was shooting this Nickel-Plated Aquila for the first time yesterday in my Zastava MP22.

I had fired about ten rounds from a new box when I had a violent case rim rupture. The bolt was blown open and where the case went, I have no idea. The gas and powder stung my right cheek for a couple minutes. I was wearing shooting glasses so there was no problem with eye contamination or injury, TYG. In all my years of shooting rimfire ammunition this is the first time I can remember of such an incident or of such force.

After inspecting the rifle, bolt, action etc. I determined there was no damage and proceeded to shoot. I had three more minor case rim ruptures in the next 8 rounds and several FTF/s. At that point I decided I may be dumb, but not stupid, and quit using the Aguila Silver Eagle Nickel-Plated Case. I have used the standard brass cartridge 40 gr. .22WMR quite often and never had any problems with rim separation or light strikes and it has provided excellent groups.

I have notified Aguila of the incident so I will see what kind of response I get.

BTW, I have 2 full boxes and a half box of .22WMR Silver Eagle for sale - CHEAP!

VH "

Last edited by varmit hunter67; 10-18-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:34 PM
twodollarpistol
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Super thankful YOU and the firearm were not hurt. I would hold on to the rest of the ammo until you hear from Aguila. They may want it returned to examine, and give you replacement ammo. TDP
Old 10-18-2018, 06:51 PM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I really hate hearing that and am glad you and your rifle are ok. The Silver Eagle ammo is my SA 141m's favorite. I have not had any problem with it but have only shot a few boxes. I think I will stay awa6 from that lot# for sure.