Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:59 PM
John45
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Failure to eject problem solved

I have a newish LVT. works great with most ammo but really bad on Aguila SE. At the range today I had 3 FTE with the SE in the first mag, 2 in the next two mags. WTH? Now I've worked on these mags for some time now. Remembered reading here about the mag being loose can cause the problem but ignored that, until today.

Shooting off hand I could feel the mag move a bit when the bolt came back. So i stuck my finger in the small indent on the front of the mag and pushed the mag back while firing. Well well well. No failures. So I tried it again but this time pushing the mag forward and holding it so it can't move. No failures. 70 rounds and not one failure.

I've shimmed the front of the mags with some Aluminum tape I had and tested the mag in the gun, no movement now. Will try it out but I know it's solved. To whoever suggested the loose mag problem, thanks.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:56 PM
Velvetfoot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
May I ask what size mags you're talking about?
Old 10-13-2018, 02:20 PM
John45

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The standard 10 round ones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2018, 02:31 PM
awesomealvin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is this a really worn out mag? I had FTE problems with one of my 10/22 as well, but it was an extractor issue.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:50 PM
John45

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
No, it was did it on older or brand new mags. Extractor was replaced with Kidd. Rifle is less than a year old. Today I shot it in a CMP rimfire match using SK Rifle Match and not one failure. Aguila now has only 2 or 3 failures per 100 rounds which I can live with for practice.

Last edited by John45; 10-13-2018 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:00 PM
Velvetfoot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I tried pushing back on the mag as well today and it seemed to help some.
It's not right though. Shouldn't have to do it.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:02 AM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
May want to do your shimming on the rear of the mag. Its supposed to seat forward. I've added Kidd plungers and higher tension plunger springs in rifles that didn't want to push the mag forward easily. Also, Aguila is some gummy sticky stuff as well. I've had issues with it in pistol mags where everything else had none. It hangs up and doesn't like to feed up the mags well. Could be similar in exiting the chamber.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:30 AM
John45

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Thanks Flash, I'll try that.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:17 AM
twodollarpistol

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_80 View Post
May want to do your shimming on the rear of the mag. Its supposed to seat forward. I've added Kidd plungers and higher tension plunger springs in rifles that didn't want to push the mag forward easily. Also, Aguila is some gummy sticky stuff as well. I've had issues with it in pistol mags where everything else had none. It hangs up and doesn't like to feed up the mags well. Could be similar in exiting the chamber.
I agree. The mag is supposed to seat forward. I don't however want a piece of tape in the action of my rifle, which brings me to my question. Where did you get your extra or high tension springs? Are they from KIDD also? A couple of my rifles could stand a little extra push forward. Thanks TDP
Old 10-15-2018, 08:30 PM
PhilF
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Kidd

++1 on the Kidd plungers & extra power springs.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:28 PM
PEASHOOTER67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to PEASHOOTER67

Forward isnít alway the right answer. Sometimes reward fixes it, thatís why I suggest to shim the mag to see if it helps. Did I make that suggestion to you? I donít know, Iíve slept since then.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"

Last edited by PEASHOOTER67; 10-15-2018 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:49 PM
Velvetfoot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I pushed up on the magazine while firing, and no more stovepipes. This is after 1500 rounds and multiple ammunition type. I sent it back to Ruger today.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:01 AM
twodollarpistol

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEASHOOTER67 View Post
Forward isnít alway the right answer. Sometimes reward fixes it, thatís why I suggest to shim the mag to see if it helps. Did I make that suggestion to you? I donít know, Iíve slept since then.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"
No sir, not that I recall. Please forgive me for differing with you but forward is the ONLY way for it to go. That's why every 10 22 I have ever seen has a plunger and spring to force and hold it in that position. Anything else is incorrect. There is always more than one way to skin a cat and jury rigging is fine for some applications, but we are talking firearms here. Anything other than correct can be dangerous. I just refuse to cut corners and start stuffing tape and bandaids in the action of my rifle. I sound really anal, and I guess I am about firearms. However I don't mean to be disrespectful in any way. I've been shot once due to an N D. I didn't like it then, and not interested in a replay. Just my 10$ worth. TDP
Old 10-16-2018, 01:28 PM
PEASHOOTER67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

It depends on the variance in tolerances. Not every receiver is the same. Iíve seen in some cases where the hole in the front needed to be shimmed for a lack of a better term.

This will help tell you if the barrel is set back into the receiver to far. The mag being shimmed a few .001 to the rear isnít going to cause or create a dangerous situation that doesnít already exist.

Either the symptom will get better or not.

If we were talking chamber, headspace, then absolutely it would cause or present a dangerous situation.

Here we are talking the relationship between barrel,bolt,and mag to determine the problem.

Sometimes the mag is to close to the chamber. The mag being to close here can also be cause by the barrel needing to be shimmed.
Sometimes the mag is point up to far.
Sometimes the mag is pointed down to far.
Sometimes the mag is to far back.

In some cases the fix will involve either moving the barrel forward or rearward. All of the 10/22ís could use a little better plunger spring.

These problems are caused by manufacturing variances and putting a temporary shim in the front of the mag will not present/cause a dangerous situation especially if the gun is already having jamming issues.

Sometimes the trigger group is to blame and could be the actual cause of the jams by holding the rear of the mag to high or low.

Last edited by PEASHOOTER67; 10-16-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:41 PM
PEASHOOTER67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvetfoot View Post
I pushed up on the magazine while firing, and no more stovepipes. This is after 1500 rounds and multiple ammunition type. I sent it back to Ruger today.

Did you push up on the front? Rear? Or the whole mag.