Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-08-2018, 08:45 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
It is the way it should be. When buying from a dealer, you still do the 4473, and the background check has already been done with the CCW. It is efficient and reasonable.

I'm not complaining, I was just surprised. I guess with the political arena the way it is, I was shocked they got something right for a change.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:15 AM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEC View Post
Are we all talking about the same background check? I see repeated mention of how it takes a lot of time, and alternatives that would save a lot of running around. In short, the discussion reads to me like the background check is somewhere between a major PIA and a nightmare.

In Arizona, I fill out the 4473, and the FFL calls it in; that call has never taken more than 3-5 minutes. From the time I step up to the FFL's counter, to the time I leave the store with firearm in hand, I don't think it's ever been as long as even 15 minutes. What I'm reading here doesn't sound at all like the process I've experienced. Is there something more being imposed state to state (I mean, other than those states that mandate a waiting period)?
What you describe is how it works in NC for long arms. If you are buying a handgun, you first need a purchase permit that you obtain by visiting your county Sheriff's department. The Sheriff's department does the background check and issues the handgun purchase permit(s) to you in a few weeks.

If you have a concealed carry permit issued in NC, then the FFL photocopies it and uses it in lieu of a NIC's check.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:20 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In Mich. it took me and my concealed permit around 1/2 hr to walk out with a Buck Mark Camper 22rf pistol about 4 yrs ago @ GanderMt.. It probably would've been less elsewhere.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:55 AM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I once asked a FFL why I had to fill out a 4473 if I have a CCW, which means that I have already passed a background check, been fingerprinted, etc.

Don't know how true this is, but his answer was record keeping and a way to trace gun sales, a form of registration IMO.

Reminds me of a time that I bought a S&W revolver from a gun shop. Filled out the 4473, provided Driver's License and CCW, and paid the money. Dealer hands me the revolver -- no box, no sack. Hmmm.... what to do? Run toward my truck with the revolver in my hand as if I had just robbed the store? Don't remember for sure, but I think I just stuck it in my pocket and walked slowly to my truck.

And what about buying a gun by someone who is too illiterate to fill out a 4473? I asked a dealer about this one time. Ask yours (make sure he/she is in a good mood and has time to explain.)

Last edited by toomanyguns; 10-09-2018 at 02:06 PM. Reason: correct speelin
Old 10-09-2018, 11:48 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In my state need a nics background check to purchase or receive a firearm from an ffl. But nada if a private sale between two individuals. As a non ffl I can go to a gun show rent a table and sell my guns to anyone without doing a background check. This is the loophole that they are screaming about. However if I do this as a business then I am required to become an ffl.the gun shows have rules that you canít set up in the parking lot , but this is to protect their pockets.

Also in my state you donít need any permit to own a gun. Need one to carry. And 18 for long guns and 21 for hand guns. And have to be legally allowed to have a gun. No felonies etc.

Also armslist is considered a private sale as long as it is in state.

As for nics turnaround , Monday thru Thursday licikity split, Friday Saturday and Sunday, either swamped or understaffed or both, slow as molasses.also if you are ever denied in error,they wonít talk to you , just fill out the forms get finger printed and wait and wait and wait, then call your congressman, and he can get it fixed.

And yes you can purchase multiple firearms on one 4473 , but all at the same time!

There is not supposed to be a national firearms registry, by law, but thatís exactly what the nics is. How else do they know almost immediately where the mass shooter bought his firearm legally.i doubt that they carry the receipt with them.

Some states are too tight, some states are too loose, the rules are different from state to state fron county to county and from city to city. What we need is a uniform set of rules. Or even better no rules other than if you do something bad your going to get punished.

Once you make rules people being people find away around them. That makes them criminals,and once they know they are criminals other rules are easier to break.

I just assume that everyone has guns, it makes me much more polite.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:55 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Maryland has some of the worst background check laws on the books. For a long arm you fill out the form and they do the NICS call and you walk out with the rifle or shotgun. If its a controlled long arm like AR you fill out the form and then wait a week or longer for the state to run a state police background check. Usually pretty quick with the controlled long arms. Handguns are a different animal. Fill out the form and I am not sure since it has been a few years but I think there was another state form. Then it all goes to the state police who do a complete background check and you can wait from a week to several months depending on how backed up they are. During the time after Sandy Hook it was really bad and a really long wait.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:27 PM
supersharp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In my state even if you have a pistol permit they still do a background check, not a big deal unless the store is really busy or the state is closed. It makes sense to me if you have your permit there really isn't a need for a background check.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:44 PM
Mtn'eer Shootist

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It works in WV also.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:35 PM
JEC

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanyguns View Post
Don't know how true this is, but his answer was record keeping and a way to trace gun sales, a form of registration IMO.
I can believe that, considering that part of the 4473/NICS phone call process involves taking down the make/model/serial number of the firearm I'm purchasing, and passing that info along to whoever is on the other end of the NICS phone call. That part of the process seems a little more like documenting the current deal than checking my prior background . . . .
Old 10-10-2018, 02:54 PM
wrwindsor
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Regarding CHL/CCW/DWL/FWL/CWP/LTC replacing the need for NICS, ATF pretty much sets the tone for this:

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regula...y-permit-chart

(ATF reserves the right to change its mind regarding any particular state, at any time)
Old 10-10-2018, 06:08 PM
Pat McCoy
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Regarding CHL/CCW/DWL/FWL/CWP/LTC replacing the need for NICS, ATF pretty much sets the tone for this:
Nope, from the ATF website comes the following:

"On November 30, 1993, the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act was enacted" and "the permanent provisions of the Brady Law apply to all firearms."

It is part of the US Code, enacted by Congress.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:13 PM
dbmjr1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEC View Post
I can believe that, considering that part of the 4473/NICS phone call process involves taking down the make/model/serial number of the firearm I'm purchasing, and passing that info along to whoever is on the other end of the NICS phone call. That part of the process seems a little more like documenting the current deal than checking my prior background . . . .
The information pertaining to the firearm is never transmitted to the FBI for the LEEP Portal Check.

It is against Federal Law for the government to keep information that could be considered a 'registration'. Therefore they simply don't. They make the FFL's keep those records. In the event the FFL goes out of business, those records get surrendered. The ATF/FBI, I forget which, keeps them all in a series of Conexs. They are not even allowed to catalog them. So for a trace, they have to go find the individual Fm 4473 in a huge stack from that dealer.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:32 PM
GreggieBoy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We have to do a background check, fill out the 4473, show your Firearms Safety Certificate, a drivers license plus something like a car registration or utility bill for all firearm purchases. Then the 10 day waiting period happens. The 10 day wait is now set by the hour. Buy it at 11:00 am then come back in 10 days and 30 minutes. Most places are telling us to give it a little past pickup time.

Last year I was pricing something at a LGS. A guy walked in to pick up his shotgun. He said he drove about 90 minutes to get there. Didn't matter because he was 2 hours early. Witnessed another guy show up almost 4 hours early. He didn't read what the guy who owned the LGS told him. His pickup time was after they closed for the day so he had to come back the next day.

Miss the days when going gun shopping with my dad. Walk in, pick out what he wanted, show them him LEO ID, pay, walk out with his purchase. He did that when I was about 18. Called me to meet him at work. We went to a Roos Atkins. Took the escalator up to Sporting Goods, asked the sales clerk to let us look at a Ruger Mini 14. Bought it along with a 30 round magazine. He put it in a very large paper bag and we walked out with it.

Miss those days, miss my dad.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:40 PM
twodollarpistol

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There is not supposed to be a national firearms registry, by law, but thatís exactly what the nics is. How else do they know almost immediately where the mass shooter bought his firearm legally.i doubt that they carry the receipt with them

They send the s/n to the manufacturer and find out what dealer bought the gun from which wholesale dealer. Also in Ga the retail dealer retains the 4473 unless asked for them. TDP
Old 10-11-2018, 09:43 AM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmjr1 View Post
The information pertaining to the firearm is never transmitted to the FBI for the LEEP Portal Check.

It is against Federal Law for the government to keep information that could be considered a 'registration'. Therefore they simply don't. They make the FFL's keep those records. In the event the FFL goes out of business, those records get surrendered. The ATF/FBI, I forget which, keeps them all in a series of Conexs. They are not even allowed to catalog them. So for a trace, they have to go find the individual Fm 4473 in a huge stack from that dealer.
I recall that after one of the recent mass shootings, this exact process was described on one of the major TV networks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggieBoy View Post

Miss the days when going gun shopping with my dad. Walk in, pick out what he wanted, show them him LEO ID, pay, walk out with his purchase. He did that when I was about 18. Called me to meet him at work. We went to a Roos Atkins. Took the escalator up to Sporting Goods, asked the sales clerk to let us look at a Ruger Mini 14. Bought it along with a 30 round magazine. He put it in a very large paper bag and we walked out with it.
When I was about 16 years old, I bought a Browning A5 and a Ruger .22 pistol from a gun shop and all I needed was cash. If I had had the money, I could have ordered any gun I wanted from the Herter's catalog if I had stated my age as 21 or over.

Funny thing is, I don't remember any mass shootings from back then.