Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:47 AM
GreggK

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zymurgeist View Post
That would make almost all AR style pistols illegal. I believe the law says you cannot have a pistol and a shoulder stock designed to fit it not that it can accept a shoulder stock. Really it just indicates how poorly written the NFA is. If you wanted to be extra sure just shave the channel off the bottom of the fake buffer tube and possibly add a foam sleeve for comfort.
If you look at the AR pistols you will see that they have a different buffer tube that does not have the rail on the bottom for the butt stock. To the ATF if you put a regular buffer tube on an AR pistol you now have an SBR.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:02 AM
9x19

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggK View Post
If you look at the AR pistols you will see that they have a different buffer tube that does not have the rail on the bottom for the butt stock. To the ATF if you put a regular buffer tube on an AR pistol you now have an SBR.
Unless you can provide a link to a very recent ruling, that's not entirely correct.

To be guilty of constructive possession requires you have all the parts to assemble an SBR in close proximity and with no other lawful purpose.

If your pistol wears the only ribbed buffer tube you own and you keep a sliding stock next to it, you would likely be in violation. But that means you've done something else to have the authorities looking into your closet/safe.

If along with your pistol you have a carbine with a ribbed tube and 3 or 4 sliding stocks, which are not kept in the case with your pistol, no problems.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:56 PM
GreggK

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
With the ATF you are at the mercy of whatever inspector get hold of you as to what his particular interpretation is of the law. You can call and ask questions and get many answers. You may indeed be able to prove your innocence after spending you life savings on lawyers. Even the papers issued by ATF are just opinions and not law. The SBR laws are just plain stupid but I would not risk my money or freedom on something like this.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:20 PM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
I agree. I would either stay pistol or SBR it for $200. Much less expensive than a lawyer.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:26 PM
zymurgeist
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggK View Post
Some do some don't. The ones with a pistol brace may require the bottom rail. It's not a buffer tube but the shoulder stock itself that would make it a SBR. If you have any questions ask the BATFE.

Last edited by zymurgeist; 09-19-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:41 PM
Ytailhtr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not worried at all, as I have read the ATF letter about this and have researched this extensively....as 9x19 stated, I would have to have the stock with me (in close proximity) and I do not....in fact, I threw that piece of crap away, to be sure. As of lately, I have installed a sling stud in the bottom portion of the 'buffer tube rail' (since it really ain't no stinking buffer tube, cuz it ain't no AR15) and a stick-on neoprene pad around the tube. So now a sliding stock simply can NOT be installed on this tube....so it is perfectly legal for me to possess this PISTOL.

As others have noted, many AR15 pistol cheek-weld furniture 'requires' the rail on the bottom of the tube....thus, the rail means NOTHING....ZERO.....ZILCH.....it's a tube, not a STOCK...PERIOD

You wanna talk sketchy, those "arm braces", there's sketchy to me....I am NO WHERE near that....mine is clearly a PISTOL with a padded cheek weld, and sling mount

I mean, talk about stupid, the fact that I had to buy a receiver that says "CHARGER" and it's the same thing (IDENTICAL) as the one that says "10/22 CARBINE".

Hey, they make the rules, I will follow them....and this my friends is a pistol, thats a pistol, cuz it's a pistol.....

and I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE it!

Last edited by Ytailhtr; 09-20-2017 at 04:56 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 09-22-2017, 11:21 AM
mrt949

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytailhtr View Post
I'm not worried at all, as I have read the ATF letter about this and have researched this extensively....as 9x19 stated, I would have to have the stock with me (in close proximity) and I do not....in fact, I threw that piece of crap away, to be sure. As of lately, I have installed a sling stud in the bottom portion of the 'buffer tube rail' (since it really ain't no stinking buffer tube, cuz it ain't no AR15) and a stick-on neoprene pad around the tube. So now a sliding stock simply can NOT be installed on this tube....so it is perfectly legal for me to possess this PISTOL.

As others have noted, many AR15 pistol cheek-weld furniture 'requires' the rail on the bottom of the tube....thus, the rail means NOTHING....ZERO.....ZILCH.....it's a tube, not a STOCK...PERIOD

You wanna talk sketchy, those "arm braces", there's sketchy to me....I am NO WHERE near that....mine is clearly a PISTOL with a padded cheek weld, and sling mount

I mean, talk about stupid, the fact that I had to buy a receiver that says "CHARGER" and it's the same thing (IDENTICAL) as the one that says "10/22 CARBINE".

Hey, they make the rules, I will follow them....and this my friends is a pistol, thats a pistol, cuz it's a pistol.....

and I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE it!
That's why i have a charger .Might get a longer barrel
Old 11-01-2017, 12:31 AM
Corsica Coatings
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well , back before I turned in my 07/SOT FFl I used to build 10/22 SBR's for fun and profit. They sold really well and I enjoyed coming up with different variations but the folding stock model that fit in a brief case was the winner. 6" barrel worked best and these little guys with a suppressor were hard to beat and fit the needs of foreign intelligence agents...for practice of course...or just someone wanting a quiet way of take care of a pesky little furry critter.

SBR's are worthwhile if you can swallow the fee for the stamp but it sure looks like arm supports on the Charger makes them a fine alternative...but please stay within the ATF guidelines and enjoy!!
Old 11-01-2017, 06:33 PM
ricrock
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have both a 10/22 carbine with the Nordic Stock, and a Charger with the ATI Stock. This eliminates any dealings with the ATF. Both of the guns have barrel shrouds to look like a suppressor, but, once again, no ATF.

Here are pictures of the 10/11 and my Charger I hope this works.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:30 PM
hoverspd
US Air Force Veteran Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Everyone ...

Why can't I see all the pictures? If I click on the little squares or the photo bucket stuff I come up with nothing. How do I post a picture of mine? Sorry there must be somewhere that this found but I'm confused.

Thanks for the help ...
Nick
Old 11-04-2017, 03:54 PM
Indigo22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The easiest way to post pictures on forums is to use Imgur. They are a host site that is free. Photobucket is no longer a free photo host and has since taken hostage viewing photo's posted through them. https://imgur.com/
Old 11-05-2017, 04:49 AM
hoverspd
US Air Force Veteran Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Indigo22,

Thanks ...

Nick
Old 11-16-2017, 12:43 AM
JJE
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's my budget blaster

Poly-stock Charger with:

Leupold VX 1 2-7x33 scope
KAK Micro Flash Can
Copper Custom pistol tube adapter
Phase 5 anodized pistol tube
Hasty sling consisting of $2 worth of REI 1" nylon strap

I used a Dremel to remove the finger groove on the grip, since it was in exactly the wrong place, and also cut a slot in the pistol grip for the rear sling attachment. I know, I could have spent some $$$ for an endplate with a sling loop, but then it wouldn't be a budget blaster.

Will shoot it for the first time later this week. I don't plan to use the bipod - just shoot it standing at 25 yards. Once the holidays are over I'm taking the trigger group over to Brimstone Gunsmithing for a Tier 2 trigger job (with a red trigger, of course).

EDITED to add range report:

I shot a bunch of the Browning BFR hi-velocity ammo using the included BX-15 magazine (no failures), and I am totally pleased with the way this worked out. The stock trigger felt like crap when I dry-fired it before going to the range, but at the range it is obvious that it's mostly my limited rifle-shooting that's keeping my groups big. Still, I'm going to have Brimstone work on the trigger, because I really feel that I will be able to improve my standing/unsupported accuracy with regular practice (I saw some improvement just that first day). No matter how good the trigger is, shooting at 25 yards is always going to be a challenge. Great bang-for-the-buck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11-15-17_Ruger Charger pistol build_resize.jpg (148.4 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by JJE; 11-23-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:09 AM
SgtKnuckles
US Army Veteran GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJE View Post
Poly-stock Charger with:

Leupold VX 1 2-7x33 scope
KAK Micro Flash Can
Copper Custom pistol tube adapter
Phase 5 anodized pistol tube
Hasty sling consisting of $2 worth of REI 1" nylon strap

I used a Dremel to remove the finger groove on the grip, since it was in exactly the wrong place, and also cut a slot in the pistol grip for the rear sling attachment. I know, I could have spent some $$$ for an endplate with a sling loop, but then it wouldn't be a budget blaster.

Will shoot it for the first time later this week. I don't plan to use the bipod - just shoot it standing at 25 yards. Once the holidays are over I'm taking the trigger group over to Brimstone Gunsmithing for a Tier 2 trigger job (with a red trigger, of course).
LOOKING GOOD...<:-))
Old 12-23-2017, 03:32 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
This started out as a standard polymer Ruger Charger with a 10" threaded barrel. I considered getting a Copper Custom adapter but for a lot less money I decided to grind the buttstock channel off of an Axiom stock making it so a buttstock would just fall off. It is now a pistol tube. The tube was a little small in diameter so I put one layer of shrink tubing around it. This increased the diameter enough to make it no longer accept a buttstock at all. It was such a tight fit I had a hell of a time getting the SB Tactical brace on.

I put a Ruger BX trigger in it and a Kidd 6” Barrel. For optics I added a Bushnell TRS-25. The can is a Element 2 and I have a stamp for it after waiting 13 months.

This is a fun pistol to shoot!

I plan on adding a rail for a bipod and qd sling studs.

Last edited by JDouglas; 12-23-2017 at 03:49 PM.