Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:49 PM
minic99

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Help with a 17-2 mystery cylinder line

Looking at a shooter grade 17-2 sitting in a LGS. The bolt drag line on the cylinder has an additional line that starts right before each bolt cutout on the cylinder and intersects the cylinder line at about a 30 degree angle like an upside down 1/4 inch long "V". This additional line appears on each of the cylinder bolt stop cutouts and is symmetrical. Any ideas what would have caused this? Sorry, but I don't have a picture to share at this point, but it looks a little like this: /l with the "l" representing the normal cylinder line.

Last edited by minic99; 08-22-2018 at 06:17 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:45 AM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds like the Bolt Stop is coming up too early. I don't remember exactly but I think it's out of time. A little work on the Hand should help.

Don't let it hold you back from buying and excellent gun though.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:15 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
A correctable issue, I suppose, but why should it become your problem? Gun shops have connections with gunsmiths.Let them correct it or find a problem free gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2018, 02:47 PM
minic99

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster View Post
A correctable issue, I suppose, but why should it become your problem? Gun shops have connections with gunsmiths.Let them correct it or find a problem free gun.
I will have to see and determine if it has already been repaired before its arrival at the store now that I know to watch for the bolt engagement. The $500 price tag caught my attention but I don't really need a new project. It's at one of those tactical stores so it's the black sheep of the display case and the owner is trying to move it.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:58 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Doesn't sound like something that could happen by just poor timing during normal operation of the action. Maybe someone scratched it when jacking with the bolt notches for who knows what reason, or the scratches were made when someone removed the cylinder from the crane and placed it in the frame multiple times for, again, who knows what reason.

The main thing is to carefully observe how the bolt drops away and where it pops up on the cylinder when operating the action normally. If it looks good, I wouldn't worry about it, other than they are just unattractive mystery scratches.

If you don't like scratches, buy a new or like-new used one that doesn't have scratches. Sounds like a good price, though, so, if it were me, I wouldn't hesitate. Unlike Camster, I actually prefer non-pristine examples...the mint guns make me nervous .

TBR
Old 08-23-2018, 07:42 AM
WRF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I know a lot of people resent this but the "BOLT" has nothing to do with timing, cylinder locking etc. for those who like their S&W's it would help to have a parts blow up. I remember when I was in the business having customer calls asking for approx pricing or replacement of a part only to find when the gun arrived it was completely different.

Really need photos of this marred cylinder then we can work on an answer

Regards