Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CZ Scope and Ring Reference

354K views 297 replies 184 participants last post by  Moedum1 
#1 · (Edited)
****see post 276 for updated spread sheet****

Every day or two someone starts a "what scope/rings should I use " thread. I propose to build a reference thread containing a list of combinations that work that can be used as a starting point when scoping a rifle.

Please respond with:

1. Rifle model ultra lux, lux/trainer, FS, American, Varmint, silhouette, scout, style, 513, etc.
  2. Scope brand and model
  3. Ring brand and model
  4. Any tweaks to gun, scope, ring necessary (remove tangent sight, etc) special positioning, add-on rails, etc?
  5. Any especially good features or problems with the combination?
  6. Primary use of the rifle (hunting, target, bench target, plink, etc).

I've mined a little data mined from recent threads and here's a preliminary table in picture form. I'd prefer to put the data in the forum as a text table, but haven't figured out how to format a table here.

And while I'm collecting scope/ring references here's a thread on scoping an American http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293660

Since the table has gotten pretty big, here's a link to the excel file https://sites.google.com/site/timgtaylor5/rfcstorage/scopetablehtm.xls

See less See more
#3 ·
1) 452 American
2) Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40
3) Burris Signature Mediums
4) Mount scope as far forward as possible- bolt will hit magnification adjusting ring, otherwise (at about 14x & higher)
5) Scope as low as possible, forward position works great for me, as I prefer to "ride" the gun as forward/close as possible (due to 20 yrs of parking my nose on the charging handle of an M16...)
6) Target/plinking. Hopefully, eventually, hunting.

#4 · (Edited)
452 American:

-Burris Sig. rimfire High rings w/ a Intensity 6.5-20x44 A.O.

-BKL std height 257's w/ a Intensity 6.5-20x44 A.O.

-Warne 7.3/22 High rings w/ a Bushnell L.E. (Elite 3200) 4-12x40 A.O.

-Warne 7.3/22 High rings w/ a Sightron SI 2.5-10x44mm

-Weaver Grand Slam 22 rings Extra-High rings w/ a Bushnell L.E. (Elite 3200) 4-12x40 A.O.

-Weaver Grand Slam 22 rings Extra-High rings w/ a Weaver V24 6-24x42 A.O.

-Warne 7.3/22 Medium rings w/ a Weaver 4x32mm Shotgun scope (on a CZ Scout)

Used all these different combo's on a couple of different 452 American's .22lr for bench shooting/plinking/rodent eradication. :t

Both of the Americans I have now are pillared, glass bedded, free floated, and the triggers break like glass at 10oz. :t

Craig...

#5 ·
Anyone else?

There seems to be a pattern of bigger/ higher magnification scopes on the "American" style stocks and smaller ones on the hogbacks.

Going through old threads, I'm finding lots of advice, but not a lot of specific examples of gun/scope/ring combinations.

Corrections would be appreciated too if I misinterpreted posts or just screwed up.

#19 ·
Anyone else?

There seems to be a pattern of bigger/ higher magnification scopes on the "American" style stocks and smaller ones on the hogbacks.

Going through old threads, I'm finding lots of advice, but not a lot of specific examples of gun/scope/ring combinations.

Corrections would be appreciated too if I misinterpreted posts or just screwed up.
I beleive since the American has no iron sights the scope lenghth doesn't really matter. With the iron sighted model one needs a schorter scope to fit behind the rear sight.

Jee,
You have the worst case of CZitis I have seen.

#7 ·
452fs .22lr
Currently Talley "low" cz452 rings, have used "high" cz452 rings.
Weaver classic rimfire 4x28

-You have to mount the scope completely behind the rear sight, as even with the small 33.5mm objective-end OD on the Weaver, the rear sight leaf will interfere with scope mounting (although not by much). With Talley "high" cz452 rings, the 4x Weaver clears the rear sight leaf by only 2mm, making the maximum objective OD size that will clear, using Talley "high" rings (0.600" high), only 35mm. With that limitation of having the scope sit completely behind the rear sight, you have to limit scope overall length. I find that a scope length of 12 inches is comfortable, but any more and I find myself wanting to move the scope forward to get a comfortable cheek weld. This I believe is the reason why small scopes are used on the cz 452s with iron sights. If CZ makes a new model of the 452 with sights, it ought to take a cue from centerfire guns and use a flip-down rear sight blade with a tangent-style ramp. That would solve this scope mounting situation. As it stands, however, I believe that a 7 or 9x maximum magnification scope is enough to hit 2" targets at 100 - 125yds, which is realistically pushing the envelope, ballistically, of both the .17hmr and .22wmr, not to mention the good old standby, the .22lr.

#8 ·
You asked for it...

The ones that you already have... with some additional info...

452 Silhouette .22lr - 11mm - Leupold Rimfire Special 2-7x28mm - Warne/Brownells 7.3 mediums - good fit /clearance.

452 FS .22lr - 11mm - Leupold Ultralight 2.5x20mm - Leupold 11mm - good fit / classy / behind the sights.

Here's the rest of my scoped ones...

452 American .22lr - 3/8" - Burris Mini 6x32mm AO - Weaver Grand Slam 22 rings extra high - good fit / needs lapping.

452 American .17HMR - 3/8" - Clearidge Ultra RM 3-9x32mm AO - Weaver Grand Slam 22 rings extra high - good fit / needs lapping.

452 Varmint .22lr - 11mm - Clearidge Ultra RM 3-9x32mm AO - CZ medium rings - good fit / clearance.

452 Varmint .17HMR - 3/8" - Bushnell 4200 4-16x40mm SF - B-Square air rifle rings mediums - good fit / needs better screws.

452 Scout .22lr - 11mm - Burris Compact 4x20mm - Warne 22 mediums - good fit / clearance / behind the sights.

452 Varmint .22lr AKA Heavy Silhouette - 11mm - Sightron Big Sky SII 12x42mm - BKL 566 adapters / Burris Sig. Zee highs - good fit / clearance for any scope.

Past scope combos... (I've moved them around quite a bit) list them if you want... but I'm really just testing my memory. ;)

452 American .22lr - 3/8" - Lyman Permacenter 2.5x20mm - Weaver Grand Slam 22 rings extra high - good fit / needs lapping.

452 American .22lr - 3/8" - Weaver K-series 6x38mm - Weaver Grand Slam 22 rings extra high - good fit, needs lapping.

452 American .22lr - 3/8" - Leupold FXII 4x33mm - Weaver Grand Slam 22 rings extra high - good fit, needs lapping.

452 Varmint .22lr - 11mm - Lyman Permacenter 4x32mm - Leupold 11mm - good fit / clearance

452 Varmint .22lr - 11mm - Weaver K-series 6x38mm - Leupold 11mm - good fit / clearance

452 Varmint .22lr - 11mm - Sightron S1 Rimfire 3-9x32mm - Leupold 11mm - good fit / clearance

452 Silhouette .22lr - 11mm - Sightron S1 Rimfire 3-9x32mm - Warne/Brownells 7.3 mediums - good fit / clearance... you got this one already.

452 Silhouette .22lr - 11mm - Weaver Rimfire 2.5-7x28mm- Warne/Brownells 7.3 mediums - good fit / clearance...

452 Silhouette .22lr - 11mm - Weaver V-series 4-16x42mm - BKL 558 adapter / Burris Sig. Zee highs - good fit / clearance for any scope.

452 Scout .22lr - 11mm - Simmons 8-point 2.5x20mm (don't tell anybody :eek: ) - B-Square air rifle low - good fit / clearance / behind the sights.

452 Scout .22lr - 11mm - Weaver K-series 2.5x20mm - B-Square air rifle low - good fit / clearance / behind the sights.

452 Scout .22lr - 11mm - Weaver 4x32mm shotgun scope - B-Square air rifle low - good fit / clearance / behind the sights for youth.

452 Trainer .22lr - 11mm - Weaver 4x32mm shotgun scope - B-Square air rifle low - good fit / clearance / behind the sights.

Thanks for taking the time to make a list. :)

#9 ·
wow. Thanks JEE
I'll update your active combos this evening.

Your post brings up a point though. I should add a dovetail column and split the varmints. I forgot the varmints dovetails were split (11 on 22, 3/8" on .17HMR. But what about 17HM2 and 22WMR?

#11 · (Edited)
American wmr - Pentax Gameseeker 4x12x40 - Millet Angle Loc High (.6") - Barely clears large ocular and hits at 4x.

Ultra Lux - Burris Timberline 4.5 x 14 x 32 - Weaver Wal Mart 22 Med - They work just fine- Scope behind sight ladder - a little far back but workable

452FS - Sightron 3x9x32RF - B-Square Air Gun/22 Low - Behind sight ladder

#13 ·
Great List, hopefully someone makes a Sticky out of it.

452 American 22lr
Burris Deluxe Medium Rings, think 3/8" but I'm not sure (fit perfect)
Leupold VXII 3-9x42

Not much room for a flip up cap on the front, but alumina caps would be perfect. Plenty of room for bolt clearance, little tight removing/replacing bolt if removed but enough to work.

#16 · (Edited)
I propose to build a reference thread containing a list of combinations that work that can be used as a starting point when scoping a rifle.
Very nice contribution, tt5! :1luvu:

I have on my CZ-452 American .22LR the same setup I have on my CZ-452 Varmint .22LR. The "general" use I describe is targets and hunting (rats & rabbits)... don't know if you want to change that "general" to match your other entries or just leave it.

I've mined a little data mined from recent threads and here's a preliminary table in picture form. I'd prefer to put the data in the forum as a text table, but haven't figured out how to format a table here.
The "code" tag might work but I still find it hard to get the spacing right. Thanks very much for the effort into what I expect will be a very helpful and useful sticky. :bthumb:

#18 ·
STICKY!
Just got a scope for my 452 Special/Military Trainer .22LR. Leupold 2x7x28 VX1
Rimfire. Old style Leupold medium rinngmounts which appear to fit better thatn the new ones. Fits behind the rear sight. At 2x one can see a bit of the front sight but it doesn't distract me.
Set up for small game/plinking/informal target shooting.

#20 · (Edited)
Heres mine

I have a 452 special started with a centerpoint 4-16x40AO, BKL 257H rings, had
to remove the rear sight to get the fit. Changed the scope to a Millet 6-24x44AO
and used the same rings, the scope is long enough so that I was able to reinstall
the rear sight. no clearance problems.:D Doug da357mag

Your right Nick, JEE does have it bad!:eek: da

EDIT Use targets, scope is in front of rear sight. possible hunting later.

#22 · (Edited)
I'll play:

1. 455 American
2. Weaver V-24 6-24x42
3. BKL 257 Standard
4. BKL does not allow shim under the mount because of the open base. (I had been thinking of using the pop can shim under this scope because it is 24x.)
5. Plenty high. Tons of clearance, both bolt and barrel.
6. Mostly target, but utility.

#24 ·
updated again.

Can anyone post a picture of an FS/trainer/lux/Ulux with a 3-9x32 or 33? I'd like to compare it to the 2-7x28's on hogbacks that are posted here and there in the forum.

9 fingers and Lloyd S. have the sightron on FS's. Anyone have the Leupold, Clearidge, or Weaver?

#27 ·
Please respond with:

1. Rifle model ultra lux, lux/trainer, FS, American, Varmint, silhouette, scout, style, 513, etc.
  2. Scope brand and model
  3. Ring brand and model
  4. Any tweaks to gun, scope, ring necessary (remove tangent sight, etc) special positioning, add-on rails, etc?
  5. Any especially good features or problems with the combination?
  6. Primary use of the rifle (hunting, target, bench target, plink, etc).
A few on this forum have these rings, but you don't see them too often, so i'll add my info...

1) 452 American, 22lr
2) Bushnell Trophy
3) CZ Kozap (Thanks Denny!)
4) Rings are meant for 11mm rail, but fit 3/8" rail (poorly)
5) Problems:
a. Initially installed as is (pictured)...have since shimmed clamp for better fit
b. Top half of rings snap over scope tube, suggest checking edges and deburring (scratched my scope)
c. Replaced clamp screws (unnecessary)
6) Hunt & plink

Initial install

Re-install

DW

#28 ·
Great thread. Here are some ring and scope combos that I don't see on your chart. These combos are not typical but they function fine and provide "options" for others to consider.

1) 452 American 16"
2) Center Point 4-16X40 AO, Mil-Dot (Model# CPA416AORG)
3) CZ 452 rings (steel)
4) No tweaks
5) The rings were not made for the 3/8 dovetail so the clamps don't fit perfectly. Although, the base of the rings sit right on top of the dovetail with no space in between, for a steady mount. The rings function fine with no movement or loosening. The Center Point scope was purchased at Walmart for about $69. See my link for more info and pics:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332817
6) Plinking, Informal target and paper punching

1) 452 Scout
2) Weaver Shotgun Scope 4x32, Duplex Reticle (Model # WE849421 (Product replaced SN849421) (From Natchez)
3) Weaver 1" Medium .22 & Airgun rings (aluminum alloy) (Model # 49192)
4) Scope was mounted behind rear sight and sits nice and low. No need to remove front hood because it is not visible from the scope.
5) The rings have a slight gap between the ring bases and top of the dovetail, but the clamps fit flush. The rings function fine with no movement or loosening. The Weaver rings were purchased from Walmart for about $8. See my link for more info and pics:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294643
6) Plinking, Informal target, paper punching and nice camping/backpacking gun (total weight with scope and rings is 5lbs 10oz).

#29 · (Edited)
452 Varmint ___ 11mm ___ Bushnell Trophy 6-18x40mm ___ CZ rings (19001) ___ target ___ objective ~3mm clearance

453 Varmint ___ 11mm ___ Sightron SII 6-24x42 _________ CZ rings (19001) ___ target ___ objective ~2mm clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.