Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Which 22LR complete upper? Spike's or Tac Sol?

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  menlo 
#1 ·
So my lower is lonely and I've decided on a 22 upper (decided against a 9mm for now). Which one?
I've price the Spike's at about $610 (I don't think it comes with a mag) plus shipping.
For the same configuration, the lowest I've seen a Tac Sol is $525 with 1 mag and shipping included.

Over at another forum, the consensus is Spike's (is it because Spike's is a sponsor?). I know for sure that Spike's got great customer service. Is the Spike's worth getting over the Tac Sol? I've searched and I see a lot of Tac Sol owners but not much about Spike's.
Anybody got experiences on any one of 'em to add?

#2 ·
I have a Tac-Sol and can't image the Spike's being any better, got mine from Mizzou Mule here with two mags as I recall for $525 to my door. Mine has been perfect functionally so far and paid for its self in two range trips and it paying dividends now.
Accuracy is excellent unlike what I've seen and experienced with the adapters.

Gerald

#7 ·
spike owner!

I have a early spikes I bought as a complete pistol., which I SBR'ed. it was one of there earliest production runs, It was a little finiky at first but with a few calls to there great customer service it got sorted right out! I'm running a 4 inch barrel and a tac 65. Auccurcy is not great, but I have only run cheep optics on it so far. I'm really excited about there new nickle plated bolts they make in house, as I think it will help remedy some of the limitations the ciener bolts they used had.

#8 ·
I have a TacSol upper that was purchased new about two months ago. It sits on a plain ol' stock RRA lower. It functions pretty much 100% with Aguila SS 40gr. and the Federal bulk pack found at Wally World. I may have had two or three failures to fire out of the 2k rounds so far, and they may well have been duds. It also cycles Eley Target as well, which surprised me considering it is standard velocity only. Using an borrowed supressor, the Eley is very quiet.

It is also seems to be very accurate. The scope I'm using only goes to 4x, so I haven't tried to group it at 50 or 100 yards. However, 10 shot groups with the Aguila at 35 yards are one-holers. The groups with the Eley are very small one-holers. I'm thinking about putting a higher-powered scope on it just to see what it can do at 100 yards. I think that there is a good chance that it will hold MOA at 100 with the Eley, and possibly with the Aguila too (the Aguila has been a pleasant surprise).

Overall, I've been extremely happy with my upper. Now, several of my friends are trying to find them as well.....

PhilR.

#9 ·
Don't overlook Model 1 Sales.

They offer a wide variety of uppers starting about $475 IIRC.

My 16" HB CAR runs great, though I'm using a Ciener bolt( I bought it back in May without a bolt to hasten delivery since I already had a Ciener bolt).

The M1S bolt is another variation on the Ciener.

All three of these use Ciener compatible Black Dog Machine magazines, and the M1S comes with a mag- high cap or 10 round.

#10 ·
This is my thoughts on the two. I have shot both the Spikes and the Tac Sol. I dont really have a bias either way but the biggest differences that I have found between the two is as follows:

The Tac Sol comes in an A3 configuration only.
Dont know who the manufacturer is on the barrel.
Does not come with rear sight.
If the front sight is removed it needs to be replaced with a gas block and front sight combo.

Spikes can use either a Green Mountain or Lothar Walther barrel
Can order in a MULTIPLE of different configurations from a short, short 4 inch barrel to a 20 inch barrel.
Can change the handguards to a free float tube while being built.

Those are just some things that I can think of off the top of my head for each manufacturer.

#11 ·
OK, the only difference I can gather is that Spike's has the nickel plated bolt and the Tacsol has a stainless steel bolt.

outsydlooknin75 got me thinking, what if I order the Tacsol now (since there's no wait)? Then, order a Spike's later on for a pistol project (since they can customize barrels). Or, Spike's $100 Lothar Walther barrel upgrade is also worth considering in the future for a target AR22.

#13 ·
Appreciate all the input fellas! I've decided on a Tacsol upper. Got it from Mizzou Mule who is a sponsor. I highly recommend Dennis, you can tell he's a great guy just by talking over the phone with him. Fast shipping too, was on my doorstep within 3 days, no waiting unlike some other AR things as of late.

#16 ·
I have a Spikes Dedicated Upper and yes it might be alittle more than Model 1 and Tac Sol but Spikes makes up for that in customer service. They have the best customer service around. Something not working they will help get it working! Your not satisfied with the product most likely you can send it back and they will do their best to make you happy! Customer Service like that is the reason why I bought from Spikes!

#18 ·
Model 1

I have a Model 1 sales. I ordered it because they offered a 20" barrell. I wanted a NM configuration. I had to wait awhile to it to show, but have to tell you am very pleased with it.

The gun runs like a singer sewing machine. Accuate and fires all the time. The only problem is that I spend way too much on ammo because the gun is so much fun to shoot.

I would recommend Model 1 Sales.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.