November 2018 RFC CZ 100 Yard Challenge - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:15 AM
Shootingblueboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I had some time after work today and the wind was low so I managed to get out to shoot a target. Small problem. I couldn't see it. By the time I got up on the hills, the fog had rolled in and visibility was a real problem. Scope could not cope on 30 x Mag, so down to 24ish and I could just about see through the water droplets to make out what seemed like centre target. After a couple of shots, I could see my bullet holes easier than the target, so just aimed at those ha ha.

I took a quick video so you can have a laugh at my shooting conditions in a poorly planted wheat field with temps at just about freezing.

If I can find a day with no fog and wind, I reckon this ammo could be half decent. I have been shooting rabbits and corvids lately and not missed many. This TNT stuff in 17grain is better than the Vmax stuff I have had the last few times I have been to the shops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeiUJHGnA4E

Any days lately have been spent working up a new deer load for the 6mm, so it was nice to get out with rimfire. I did try a second target but after 4 shots, I just couldn't see it so gave up and came home.

No idea if I have worked this out right but Jaia can cast his eye over it and correct it if I have not understood the scoring rules. It has been a while for me. In any case, it certainly is not going to challenge the usual fine efforts from you guys but it is nice to be back shooting again

Old 11-22-2018, 06:39 PM
jaia
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Checked y'er target SBB, I agree with y'er measurements.
Pretty decent for shooting in the fog. When I get a morning mist,
I catch breakfast on the way to the range and wait for the sun to cook it away.
That could take days on y'er side of the pond.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:30 PM
chilly807

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So, between hacking and coughing fits, I managed to get a few targets shot today.
Cool seasonable weather, right at the freezing point. Absolute flat calm, nary a breeze when I started shooting this morning.
So, the 4th target showed what I initially thought was great promise, which was good since I was at the end of the Center X ammo I'd brought with me. Strolling up to get it, I noticed someone (under the influence of cold medication, no doubt!) had hung the **** thing upside down.. at least it's this month's target, in case Fred reads this..lol.
Not to be too put out, I took inventory of the contents of my shooting box and noticed a part box of Eley Edge a friend swapped for some Center X a couple years ago. Having nothing better to do, I re-zeroed the rifle and shot another target with the Edge. Nice ammo, unfortunately I think it's been dropped from their line in recent times.
So, I'm going to let the executive decide what to do with upside down targets and submit both in this case.

452 Varmint (factory sporter class)
Leupold VX3i 6.5-20x40
Harris bipod
Caldwell rear bag
Center X & Eley Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2018, 07:25 AM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I'll accept the upside down target chilly.
At least it was the correct target for this month.
Some of us do have a problem keeping track of that minor detail.

Stay warm, eat y'er vitamins, get healthy.
Them out of country germs will get you every time.
And my wife wonders why I hate traveling.

November 30th is almost here.
Shoot 'em, post 'em.
For December we will be shooting a best edge 5 shot target.
That'll give us 10 targets to cherry pick from each box of ammo.
My last month running the challenge, I'd like to see some excellent results.

Last edited by jaia; 11-26-2018 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:58 PM
Taterchip

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Honorary entry

11/29/18
Taterchip
Score 3.29
Anschutz 1411, weaver 36x
Federal ultra match
Flat clam, overcast, and getting dark and starting to rain,45 degrees

Have not been shooting this rifle much lately.
I have turned in some decent scores with the rifle in the past
But this was not one of them!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FAD66CA1-B658-4400-AE08-7F272429AC59.jpg (520.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-29-2018, 07:32 PM
JimSC
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got to the range today and discovered I only had 3 November targets in my folder, this was the second and best of the three

Jim SC - yeah I got it bass ackwards on the target. I am old and therefore easily confused
CZ 452 Custom
Boyds stock, Rifle Basix trigger, Bushnell Elite 6-24
SK Pistol Match Special
Sinclair front rest
Protektor rear bag
Slight breeze from behind
Score = 2 .094 inches

Pretty sure I got this measurement right but double check

Last edited by JimSC; 11-29-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:32 PM
Taterchip

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Iím getting 2.89-2.92
If your group is centered you measure just like you are measuring a group
Jaia s call
Good shooting Jim,
Old 11-29-2018, 08:42 PM
JimSC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I measured from centerline to the farthest edge of the most vertical and horizontal bullet holes with a micrometer caliper so take that for whatever it is worth. I may still not understand the directions or something

I scanned it into Ontarget and here are the ten shots overlayed on the target center. Remeber though that Ontarget measures center to center not edge to edge so add .22 to the spread numbers

Last edited by JimSC; 11-29-2018 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:03 PM
Taterchip

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
This is the way I understand and I might be mistaken
Itís outside edge to outside edge side to side and top to bottom
So if you shot somthing that looked like this picture it would be a 2 inch spread.
I just drew in the bullet holes but you get the idea. If your target is scaled correctly the bold square is 1/2Ē by 1/2Ē
Like I said I might be wrong,
Next months target is harder to shoot but easy to score!
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81BFF568-1A6B-46EE-B80D-30604B3496A5.jpg (518.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 11-29-2018, 09:50 PM
JimSC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
****ifiknow taterchip let Jaia deal with it, it's all good

I know one thing I am looking forward to next months target, knocking the middle out is something I understand. I may or may not succeed but at least I understand.

This is great fun and I have been burning through at least 100 CCI's each range session just concentrating on breathing techniques and hold and it is really helping me out on centerfire. Last weekend I had a personal best target and personal best 3 target aggregate at a mid range match. I have a long range match in a couple of weeks and I am hoping to see some improvement there as well.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:00 PM
Taterchip

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Amen brother, sounds like you are having fun and thatís the goal, hopefully the weather will be kind to us in December, I envy your South Carolina location this time of year but I am also thankful I donít reside where bigdog does in South Dakota
Good shooting sir and good night
Mike
Old 11-30-2018, 07:43 AM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Jim, overlay on the original sketch shows 0.69h, 0.97v and 0.70h, 0.68v.
Total spread for the target is 3.04 inches.

Last day of the month y'all, post 'em if ya' got 'em.

December is shooting for score.
5 dots, 5 shots, best edge scoring.
If you want the X, ya' have to punch the center dot entirely.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:53 AM
chilly807

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I hear you about scoring.. I had the devil's own time getting my frosted brain around this month's scoring. Jaia is testing us, I think.

I won't get out again today. A: I'm STILL sick. B: Getting car repairs done. C: Windy as hell today. D: I can't shoot any better regardless of the first three excuses.. lol.

I missed a chance to pick up a 1411 a few months ago, still kicking myself over that.

It had kind of an odd scope mount system if I remember right. Something about only the rear of the receiver having a dove tail, I would have had to use a cantilever mount.. or drill and tap. By the time I decided it was sold.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:14 AM
JimSC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post
Jim, overlay on the original sketch shows 0.69h, 0.97v and 0.70h, 0.68v.
Total spread for the target is 3.04 inches.
ok so it is just height and width of the two groups added together then. I thought it was farthest edge of the farthest hole from the waterline and centerline. I tossed a better target because I thought the groups needed to be centered. No biggie, it was good practice getting the groups centered

Last edited by JimSC; 11-30-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:26 AM
R4B1DM4U53
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Jeez jaia, you've really thrown our poor competitors for a loop with the scoring method

Jim, when your groups are centered it is simply height and width for measuring them.

If ALL shots landed to the LEFT of the centerline, you would measure from centerline to the furthest LEFT edge, which adds a penalty for not having the group centered. Likewise if all shots landed below the centerline, you measure from centerline to furthest low edge. Same logic for right side and above center.

Best way to think of it is if you have shots on both sides of the centerline (left & right or top & bottom), you're combining their spread from center, not just picking the furthest shot in one direction.