Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:52 AM
Airedale
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kingston M1 Garand

Picked up a new Kingston Garand [#518] a couple of weeks ago, had a chance to shoot it a couple of times and things did not go well all the way around. Below is an email I sent to Kingston after trying a bunch of times get them on their contact phone number that is always giving a busy signal. No reply to the email either.

Hello,
My name is Al from Central NY, I have tried to contact you by phone but keep getting a busy signal so I will give an email a shot.

I purchased one of your M1 Garand 22 LR rifles from Herb Philipsons in Oneida NY a few days ago. Yesterday was the first chance I had to shoot the rifle, and as per instructions I cleaned the gun up well of any excess packing grease wiped the barrel clean and with several brands of different ammunition proceeded to try this new rifle on my own back yard range. I know new guns especially autoloaders require a breakin period to gain reliable function but this rifle showed to have serious problems right from the first magazine shot through it. Failure to function properly came in every possible form I can think of. Stovepiping, failure to feed, failure to eject, weak firing pin strikes, I had another Ruger 10/22 magazine on hand and the results were the same. So after around 150 rounds with no improvement I quit for the day and decided to see if I figure out what the problem was.

I am 68 years old and have been a big time shooter my whole adult life, I can usually diagnose most firearms problems. I cleaned the rifle up extremely well and the only thing I could come to that the bolt was not going completely into battery after every shot. I hoped that maybe being a steel receiver gun it may take a little more shooting than an aluminum receiver Ruger 10/22 does to smooth out. (wishful thinking) But I believe precise bolt face and chamber alignment is just off by a tad.

Next day it was back to the range with three different brands of ammo for another try. Malfunctions did start decreasing from the previous session to around one or two every magazine full, still way too many but I was hopeful and especially happy with the accuracy I was getting. The last two magazines full fired flawlessly. I thought to myself maybe after a couple of hundred more round she will smooth out and work properly. I went into the house and brought out a new box of Winchester 555 32 gr hps and a box of Federal Champions and loaded up the magazine with Federals to start. When I fired the second shot KABOOM!! the magazine flew out and the steel plate glued to the bottom had been blown right off. The case head on the cartridge had fractured most likely from not going completely into battery.

That was pretty much it for me, I own a couple of dozen various rimfire rifles, many that are autoloaders and several autoloading pistols and never had anywhere near the function-reliability problems this rifle has. There is no possible way this rifle was inspected properly by quality control in house at the factory for function and reliability before being boxed up and released to be sold.

All that being said I absolutely love shooting this rifle, I have a 100 yard range set up especially for rimfire shooting and I was making music on the reactionary targets when it functions, I could not miss with this thing. Somehow I will get this rifle to fire reliably.

So in the back of the booklet that came with this rifle instructions say to call first with any problems, I just tried calling again and again and keep getting a busy signal so here is an email.

Epilog, several days still getting busy signals and no reply to this email yet.

Last edited by Airedale; 08-12-2017 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:50 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Angry what a bummer

I have been eyeing the M-14 clone by these people. sorry to hear about your big problems, this is not good to hear! newly released guns can be a problem with working out bugs, I tend to stay away a year at least to let the bugs shake out! the real disturbing thing is not even being able to get in contact with the MFG. this would upset me for sure. after all ,this is not a 150.00 rifle. keep us posted, I think a LOT of people will follow this. this is not a good start for a new mfg of an expensive rifle.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:40 PM
retiredsarge48
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I bought mine about a month ago and have only a few problems, mostly with feeding which I think is the mag spring being adjusted to light. I can tell you that kingston was on a vacation (the whole factory) for two weeks which ended about a week ago. I had a question about mounting a scope (which I have decided not to do) and had the same problem with the phone system. May be they are being over whelmed just reopening after the vacation period. Like you, I love this rifle, it is accurate and a blast to shoot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2017, 02:27 AM
KREEPY

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Or they just suck at customer service!! I love an M1 garand and my favorite Remington and Winchester rimfires but I'll stick to anschutz for top notch customer service. I just got a hand written card back from Jochen Anschuetz the company president a week after initial contact. I hope they get your rifle sorted out for you and make it right.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:48 AM
Evilken

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
the problem might not be the rifle, I have a couple of semi automatic .22, if I use anything but CCI ammo in them I will blow a casehead. CCI ammo fixes a lot of problems, my Kingston loves it, other brands not so much. Some of their rifles had trigger packs that used a defective disconnector in it. It was too hard and clipped and caused a lot of the problems you are having.

[fQUOTE=Airedale;9318641]Picked up a new Kingston Garand [#518] a couple of weeks ago, had a chance to shoot it a couple of times and things did not go well all the way around. Below is an email I sent to Kingston after trying a bunch of times get them on their contact phone number that is always giving a busy signal. No reply to the email either.

Hello,
My name is Al from Central NY, I have tried to contact you by phone but keep getting a busy signal so I will give an email a shot.

I purchased one of your M1 Garand 22 LR rifles from Herb Philipsons in Oneida NY a few days ago. Yesterday was the first chance I had to shoot the rifle, and as per instructions I cleaned the gun up well of any excess packing grease wiped the barrel clean and with several brands of different ammunition proceeded to try this new rifle on my own back yard range. I know new guns especially autoloaders require a breakin period to gain reliable function but this rifle showed to have serious problems right from the first magazine shot through it. Failure to function properly came in every possible form I can think of. Stovepiping, failure to feed, failure to eject, weak firing pin strikes, I had another Ruger 10/22 magazine on hand and the results were the same. So after around 150 rounds with no improvement I quit for the day and decided to see if I figure out what the problem was.

I am 68 years old and have been a big time shooter my whole adult life, I can usually diagnose most firearms problems. I cleaned the rifle up extremely well and the only thing I could come to that the bolt was not going completely into battery after every shot. I hoped that maybe being a steel receiver gun it may take a little more shooting than an aluminum receiver Ruger 10/22 does to smooth out. (wishful thinking) But I believe precise bolt face and chamber alignment is just off by a tad.

Next day it was back to the range with three different brands of ammo for another try. Malfunctions did start decreasing from the previous session to around one or two every magazine full, still way too many but I was hopeful and especially happy with the accuracy I was getting. The last two magazines full fired flawlessly. I thought to myself maybe after a couple of hundred more round she will smooth out and work properly. I went into the house and brought out a new box of Winchester 555 32 gr hps and a box of Federal Champions and loaded up the magazine with Federals to start. When I fired the second shot KABOOM!! the magazine flew out and the steel plate glued to the bottom had been blown right off. The case head on the cartridge had fractured most likely from not going completely into battery.

That was pretty much it for me, I own a couple of dozen various rimfire rifles, many that are autoloaders and several autoloading pistols and never had anywhere near the function-reliability problems this rifle has. There is no possible way this rifle was inspected properly by quality control in house at the factory for function and reliability before being boxed up and released to be sold.

All that being said I absolutely love shooting this rifle, I have a 100 yard range set up especially for rimfire shooting and I was making music on the reactionary targets when it functions, I could not miss with this thing. Somehow I will get this rifle to fire reliably.

So in the back of the booklet that came with this rifle instructions say to call first with any problems, I just tried calling again and again and keep getting a busy signal so here is an email.

Epilog, several days still getting busy signals and no reply to this email yet.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Evilken; 10-11-2017 at 03:50 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:17 AM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Angry this is NOT good to hear

I feel your pain, brother, this should not happen with a new rifle that cost this much hard earned money. I was thinking about one but I will sure PASS now! good luck, isn't it frustrating to not even be able to contact the MFG!!
Old 10-20-2017, 01:49 PM
specs1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry to give you bad news, but Kingston Armory is no more. The assets are being auctioned off today.
Wanted the M14 clone myself.
Specs1
Old 10-20-2017, 09:49 PM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Thumbs down too bad to hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by specs1 View Post
Sorry to give you bad news, but Kingston Armory is no more. The assets are being auctioned off today.
Wanted the M14 clone myself.
Specs1
but, maybe a different mfg co will pick up the ball and run with it!! wow, ruger would be a good one!
Old 10-21-2017, 08:09 PM
retiredsarge48

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
This should close the book on the problems I have had with my Garrand. Mostly stove piping, not every mag, but much more frequent than any of my Ruger 10/22 actions. After reading a bunch of how to threads on the Ruger forum last evening on this subject I broke mine down again this morning with the intent of staking the firing pin so it could not raise up on the front end. To Kingston's credit they stake the firing pin in two spots from the factory. What I did find on closer inspection was burrs on the firing pin that were probably not allowing it to rebound to the proper position. Filed them off and then polished with some 320 grit wet dry paper, oiled her up and went to the range and had zero problems. To anyone who owns one of these rifles be sure to take it completely apart, inspect, fix any problems, thoroughly clean and lube and enjoy the rifle.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:41 PM
retiredsarge48

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
My Son really liked my garrand when I bought it and when he found out they were out of business he went to work to find one. Found a man in New Jersey that had several for sale and pulled the trigger for $600 plus shipping. His arrived today and is #602. Will go over it on Tuesday and then head to the range to try her out. Does anyone have any idea how many of them were made? Were there any of the M14's ever on the market?
Old 10-28-2017, 10:23 AM
Airedale

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It is a pretty good bet that not many of these rifles were made and released because of the problems it has, one of those deals where everyone was in a big hurry and they failed to get the bugs out which ended bringing down the works.

Because of having no success contacting anyone from this outfit I smelled a rat and from where I stood as time went by with no response the hand writing looked to be on the wall. The life time warranty did not mean squat to me and there was no way I was going to box up and send this rifle in for repair. I knew if they folded I would not see my rifle again and possibly not be compensated at all.

The saving grace is the Ruger 10/22 design this rifle has, I know it can be made to function with some extra tinkering and to me it is worth the effort because as bad as it has malfunctioned I still love the gun and it will work 100% when I get done with it because I will do whatever it takes.

Al
Old 10-28-2017, 07:45 PM
retiredsarge48

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Airedale-I agree that they are worth the effort to get to work. As it turned out with mine If I had done a more thorough cleaning most of my problems would have never occurred. Only the magazine adjustment would have probably been needed. For a company to manufacture a rifle of the quality of this one and then take a lot of short cuts was not a wise move. For instance , the paperwork that came with the rifle was of very poor appearance and was very incomplete. My Son's rifle had "no" paperwork, no instructions of any type and even the shipping box did not even have the Kingston name on it, no model or serial number, nothing at all, just a plain box. Really curious to see how his will shoot after we give it a good once over. His has some really nice wood.
Won't be able to get her to the range till middle of next week. On thing that you always hear about these rifles no matter what forum you go to is that they are accurate. Mine most certainly is!
Old 10-30-2017, 10:36 AM
Airedale

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I will be interested in hearing how well your son's rifle functions. My factory magazine was damaged so I have to glue the floor plate with some sort of spacer to a new Ruger magazine to get the correct height. I would sure like to have obtained a couple of extra factory magazines or a least the metal floor plates so I can rig up some on my own. I did see a couple of home made Garand type rifles online using 10/22 actions where they rigged up floor plates scavenged from old Garand trigger groups and glueing those to the bottom of 10/22 mags pretty much mimicking the Kingston Armory setup.

Al

Last edited by Airedale; 10-30-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:09 PM
BeezerFire

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kingston .22 Garand

I've had mine for about a month. When I first got it, it was jamming about every other, or 2-3, rounds. Mostly stovepipes, but occasionally a new one to me where the previous casing gets wedged between the roof of the receiver and the next round trying to chamber. The extractor looked like it had been filed on to make it more of a hook than an edge. I replaced it with a new VQ extractor and the jams came down to about 1 in 10 with stovepipes only, none of those goofy wedgie jams. The receiver is heavier and the inside walls/roof are not as smooth as my Ruger receivers. I've also noticed that the stroke of the action is much rougher and cycles slower than my Ruger. Mine returns to battery slower and others here have mentioned their bolt not fully returning to battery. It kind of seems, to me, like polishing the inside or the receiver, making it smoother/fast, might be the solution. This might have been a step skipped at the factory if they were having money problems and were just trying to get them out asap. Any thoughts?
Old 11-06-2017, 06:49 PM
retiredsarge48

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
While we have not been able to get my Son's rifle out to the range yet we did completely take it apart and thoroughly cleaned it. Like mine there were burr's on the hammer end of the firing pin which we filed off and polished. His bolt was rougher than mine so we polished it as well using 600 wet dry and mineral spirits as a lubricant. I also polished the chamber area. The bolt felt much smoother after we put it back together but the trip to the range will tell the real story. His serial number is much lower than mine. Will post the results of the first trip to the range, hopefully this week. Not a real big deal but the walnut in his rifle is very nice.