Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-09-2019, 02:44 PM
BrnoForFun
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Brno 3s Stecher with shorter barrel?

Any guesses about the Stecher 3s from J&G Sales on gunbroker at https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search...Sellers=818462 ?

They say it has a shorter barrel, and the stock is checkered...? they say it was from Denny...
Old 12-09-2019, 02:53 PM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
They also state that there is a ring in the barrel. I give them credit for disclosing that problem.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:12 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
The checkered rifle stocks per Denny were some that were water damaged at the factory and later turned over to Klinsky for refinishing and also checkered, I have no proof other than a conversation we had shortly after I purchased my M3 from another member here.

You can see the Klinsky marking in the fore arm checkering

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2019, 04:24 PM
BRNO/CZluvr
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
If anyone wants a stecher, I heard that JG sales bought 10 from Denny's estate. So, patience is the key right now. I would not want a ringed barrel, even with the shorter barrel.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:24 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Iím wondering what it will go for with the bad barrel.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:52 PM
mr.big

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I wonder what the crown looks like

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2019, 09:58 PM
jmrybak

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
Iím wondering what it will go for with the bad barrel.
I can’t believe what it’s up to already, frankly. I don’t think that barrel is anything special with regards to length. Likely factory modification or a Brno replacement for one reason or another. All the Model 3 and 4 originally came off the line with the same barrel length and profile.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:10 PM
BrnoForFun
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The stock checkering makes sense. Klinsky seems to do nice checkering even it was damaged before...
Old 12-12-2019, 10:09 AM
mr.big

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrybak View Post
I canít believe what itís up to already, frankly. I donít think that barrel is anything special with regards to length. Likely factory modification or a Brno replacement for one reason or another. All the Model 3 and 4 originally came off the line with the same barrel length and profile.
I think some biathlon models had shorter barrels

Old 12-12-2019, 11:37 AM
jmrybak

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.big View Post
I think some biathlon models had shorter barrels

Per many conversations with Denny over the years, all the Model 3 came off the line with one barreled action (trigger system swapped out in the case of the Stecher obviously). All Model 4 production at the factory produced the “ZKM 456 Model 4 L” (AKA: Standard), and all the other Brno Model 4 variants we modified by Brno or Aeron at the factory custom house. This is in part why the Models such as the Model 4 Lux or Biathlon or Lauf Kurz have barrels or parts that are modified Standard parts. Whether the barrel is cut short or the profile turned down ect...

Keep in mind that these variants we made in small batches each totaling only a few hundred or less out of the tens of thousands of Model 4 produced. There are even demonstrable differences in small parts or finishes between batches of the same rare Models, with the biathlon being the most noticeable, but also present among all the other variants too.

then of course there may also be custom aftermarket modified examples out there as well. I’ve seen photos of 2 Model 1 with the ZKW 465 DST modified to fit, and done very well and with a custom trigger guard. At least once Denny insinuated that these were more or less a personal project of a Brno employee but who knows?

Given that there has never been any prior evidence of any variants of the Model 3 other than the normal Stecher, while over the years Denny had posted or emailed about every other known variant many times including prototypes (Like the ZKM 455-2 Model 2 prototypes) numbering a dozen or so, I’m inclined to propose this example was a Standard Stecher originally and the barrel was later cut down possible due to damage or just to satisfy the tastes of a particular shooter. I think the fact that the barrel is also ringed At least supports this thought.

All that being said, it’s highly unlikely anyone would ever be able to prove Brno didn’t at least perform this modification at a later time point.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:11 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Given the fact that the barrel has been damaged, there is a high likelihood that there was other damage that was eliminated by shortening the barrel. Who did the work is anyoneís guess.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:49 PM
BrnoForFun
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks like it is going to end soon and maybe at a lower price than the other Stechers J&G listed several weeks ago...
Old 01-07-2020, 07:04 PM
OldSwede

TPC Rating: 
100% (94)
Welcome to "The Club", sir.