Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-26-2019, 05:37 PM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
Curious on value

I'm looking at a Single Six 17hmr blued 6.5". Its in near new condition and comes with OEm and some tiger stripe grips. No box. He wants 400. Sound about right?
Old 11-26-2019, 06:01 PM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
See if this link works, completed auctions on gun broker

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search...=1&PageSize=48

I did not see any at or below 400, with a quick scan of the page. Then most of the hits are new. Most are new and most did not sell.

OK, here is one,brand new sold $435

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/827769410

Buds, had a used one for $369

https://gun.deals/product/used-ruger...six-17-hmr-369

I am leaning to $350. I am ignoring the grips. I always prefer a stock gun. If anything mods a net negative to me or at the best case, I wont pay for them.

A "like new" ruger for sale, why? I would rather pay the extra $35 plus costs. Maybe you can test fire?
Old 11-26-2019, 07:23 PM
Model 52
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Let's slow down a bit. There are a few reasons a $400 like new Single Six may be a great deal.

First, if you are looking at a $400 "like new" Single Six in your local gun shop, that's probably a better buy than than a $370 used Single Six from Bud's. It's also probably a better buy than a new one on GB. In both cases you'll end up paying shipping (probably $35-$40), plus a transfer fee toi your FFL ($25 if you are lucky, but the going rate seems to be in the $50 neighborhood). That's another $60 to $90 in fees.

Second, if you are looking at it in a local gun shop, you actually get to look at it and carefully inspect it before you purchase it. That's worth a lot to me. Especially with a Ruger, where the QA has gotten pretty shoddy.

Third, if you are looking at an older Single Six, I'd have more confidence in it not having any issues than I would with a new Ruger.

-----

This thread is no fun without pictures....

Last edited by Model 52; 11-26-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2019, 09:04 PM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good counter points. I grant if buyer knows and trusts the seller or can test fire, that is a major plus. Visual inspection is a plus, but; a gun that simply wont shoot well can be impossible to spot. Convenience a plus.

Single six in 22 or combos are very common and dont bring much used. A used 17 maybe hard to find. Now, my radar is always up when I see an almost brand new (used) gun for sale. I much prefer a 20 year old used gun. I got a few major disappointments from Ruger over the last couple year. Some you could spot, others were lemons. Suppose, you can get burned either way. My misfortune was on factory new guns. Two cabelas customers got a head aches on LNIB guns.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:00 AM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
Thanks guys. I believe he said it a few years old and he shot a box through it over the years is all. He's selling because it's so Flippin loud he doesn't like it. I'm not sure I even want it due to loudness but modern unique is what I seek. He's asking to trade me now for a 17hm2 Savage mkii in fvsr configuration bedded into a Tactical stock w/ 8 mags. Either that or heven has offered me a near new Rem 597 Tech Target. I'm not sure what to tell him yet.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:57 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodak View Post
He's selling because it's so Flippin loud he doesn't like it. I'm not sure I even want it due to loudness but modern unique is what I seek. .
This is the reason that I scratch my head whenever I see one of these revolvers, I just can't imagine firing it because of the noise. If you do wind up buying it, please post pictures and a range report after shooting it.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:32 AM
SteveinAK
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wproct View Post
This is the reason that I scratch my head whenever I see one of these revolvers, I just can't imagine firing it because of the noise. If you do wind up buying it, please post pictures and a range report after shooting it.
Not to mention, I have no idea what the velocity of a .17 is out of a 6" barrel, but I can't imagine it's anywhere near as impressive as out of a rifle. Has anyone run one over a chrono? I'm curious what kind of numbers a .17 HMR gets out of such a short barrel?
Old 11-28-2019, 11:38 AM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I would estimate the velocity difference of 17HMR out of a 6" barrel versus say an 18" to be in the 15% to 20% range Steve. Bulberry only tests down to 11" but you can extrapolate from there.

https://www.bullberry.com/17-hmr-velocity-data

Still a speedy rimfire round, even in a Single-Six!

Frank