Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-04-2019, 02:16 PM
gaweidert

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question about new 10/22 I just got.

Recently I purchased a Ruger Precision rifle in 6.5 Creedmore. The rifle was $400 off list and included a free Ruger 10/22.

The 10/22 is the model that comes with a plastic stock and a pretty worthless rail instead of any sights on the barrel. I say worthless because the only scope I have available is built in such a way that I cannot mount the scope onto the rail because of the slot spacing of the mounting rail. The Ruger rail conveniently leaves out several slots like there would be in a normal rail.

I know I can get a proper rail so that I can mount the scope. What I would like to know is if there is an inexpensive barrel with sights installed that could be could simply be swapped out without having the make any changes to the stock? A threaded barrel is out of the question too. I really do not want to turn this rifle into a project.

The only other 10/22 I have is a TakeDown model that is still original. I really have no desire to spend a lot of money on this rifle. I just like my plinking rifles to have iron sights on them.

If nothing is available I will get a proper rail as that is the least expensive way to make the rifle usable.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:55 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
You could buy an OEM Ruger standard carbine barrel w/sights. You can usually find them here on the trading post sometimes for around $40-$60. Plenty of them for sale on eBay. Your other option is to just change out the scope rail from a Weaver to a picatinny. You can pick up a UTG rail for $7-$10 on eBay that would allow you to mount your scope (which I'm assuming has either a 1 piece mount or something proprietary). This would be easier and cheaper than changing your barrel.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F202104057049
Old 12-04-2019, 03:27 PM
gaweidert

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The scope I have is pretty short which means that there is not a lot of wiggle room on ring placement. When I move the scope to the best position I cannot align the rings with the slots in the rail. What I like about this particular scope is that it is nice and sharp when I have my glasses on.

I'm just hoping to get the rifle shooting without spending a lot of money. I went back to the store to see if they had a set of rails for the 10/22 but no luck there. No desire to buy another scope.

Just wondering if I can get a decent barrel for not much money that already has the sights on it and drops right in place. Everywhere I look on the internet seems to have all sorts of custom barrels that cost more that the list price of the rifle. I just want this one for plinking.

Thanks for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2019, 03:55 PM
pblanc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Most rails including the stock Ruger accessory rail will not allow you to use the stock factory open sights of the 10/22.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:03 PM
jackkade

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Go to E Bay, there are always plenty of 10/22 factory take off barrels for sale.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:27 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This. https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Rifl...s%2C165&sr=8-3

Or this https://sapoutfitters.com/product/ru...stable-sights/
Old 12-05-2019, 07:35 AM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I would just change the rail to fit your needs.

I usually seem to need the cantilever, extended rails for my scopes to fit the best.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:46 AM
jtf650

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Assuming the values are comparable, you could trade your barrel w/o sights for an oem one with sights. That way you would only be out the shipping cost.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:29 AM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
well you can swap barrels, you can swap rails, or can mount a scope or red dot that fits the factory rail..

a rail is probably the cheapest, followed by the barrel, with a scope/red being the most expensive way to go
Old 12-05-2019, 11:37 AM
Big Pete10
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you're in the Dallas area, I have a take off bbl I'll trade for it.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:40 AM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pete10 View Post
If you're in the Dallas area, I have a take off bbl I'll trade for it.
according to his profile, he's in western ny
Old 12-07-2019, 03:53 PM
gaweidert

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the replies. It turns out that I sold the rifle along with 11 other milsurps and old rifles I owned to thin my herd. At 68 I no longer shoot most of them and the upkeep on firearms that just sit around is not how I want to spend my time anymore. Got a good price for it so no qualms.

I was not planning to sell it, but the dealer who came to purchase the other rifles made an offer on that one too. I know I could have made more money in individual sales. but in New York face to face sales are no longer possible without getting a background check so I went this route. Still sold them all for more than I had into them so it worked out fine. Made 3X what I paid for for the surplus ammunition I sold him too.

Paid for the Ruger Precision Rifle I got, the cope I got for it and a nice emerald pendant necklace for my long suffering wife for Christmas.

Once again thanks for the replies and my plan was to get the barrel listed in one of the links. It was on sale for $35. A very good price.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:58 PM
IndustryOutsider

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaweidert View Post
Thanks for the replies. It turns out that I sold the rifle along with 11 other milsurps and old rifles I owned to thin my herd. At 68 I no longer shoot most of them and the upkeep on firearms that just sit around is not how I want to spend my time anymore. Got a good price for it so no qualms.

I was not planning to sell it, but the dealer who came to purchase the other rifles made an offer on that one too. I know I could have made more money in individual sales. but in New York face to face sales are no longer possible without getting a background check so I went this route. Still sold them all for more than I had into them so it worked out fine. Made 3X what I paid for for the surplus ammunition I sold him too.

Paid for the Ruger Precision Rifle I got, the cope I got for it and a nice emerald pendant necklace for my long suffering wife for Christmas.

Once again thanks for the replies and my plan was to get the barrel listed in one of the links. It was on sale for $35. A very good price.
Glad things worked out for you. And your wife. I get teased at the range about the actual cost of some of my toys. Like my S&W .460 Magnum XVR. MSRP is $1,369, but mine cost me $1400. That's about $1,100 out the door, plus another $300 or so for the Kitchenaid I had to buy my wife...
Old 01-01-2020, 11:59 PM
CD2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
#1 mill b*stard file and a vise, can add a slot to an aluminum rail.
Birchwood Casey Aluma Black if you're OCD and need to blacken it.
Have done quite a few, with perfect results (not kidding).
Square, proper depth, same width as others.
Just takes time and paying attention.

The problem w the reg Ruger 10/22 Weaver rail is that it is low. And using a Burris Zee ring could scratch receiver top. The Weaver picatinny type is higher.
Can slide a Zee ring on without worry (also has more slots).

They are not expensive.