New Wrangler, already showing a dragline... - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-26-2019, 02:21 PM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Kaboomer View Post
Its normal........Forget it and enjoy.....ALL revolvers that are used have them have them.
That is right. You want the lockup to be certain. This is nothing to complain about today or back in 1953. This is why you see tie wraps on those mega dollar colts. God forbid someone turn the cylinder and crash its value.

It is kind of a joke. Why is anyone buying a wrangler? CHEEP! Not to imply this characteristic is a sign of low cost or a problem. Yes, Ruger does have enough random problems. This is not one.

Last edited by fourbore; 11-26-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:09 PM
SteveinAK
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I bought a Wrangler for carrying so I can leave my nice '62 Single Six in the safe.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:40 PM
Happy Kaboomer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatter View Post
People have been whining about the Ruger drag line since 1953. It's just the way the design works. Ruger wanted to be sure the bolt went completely in the notches, even at the expense of a shiny line polished onto the cylinder.
x1000. No big deal. If you don't want a drag line. Shoot a semi auto.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:19 AM
A square 10
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
i have seen the lines and never thought all that much of them till this thread , made me go into the accumulation to see what i actually have to offer on the subject ,

ill start by saying i cannot buy one of the topic revolvers here in this state - dont allow the alloy ,

i have SAA rugers tho -
my single six does not show one , its an early one and has seen use ,
my three vaqueros [45 colt] have seen a lot of use and show none ,
of my colts -
the early 3840 converted to 22cal does show a faint one
the two late 60s frontier shouts dont show one
my peacemaker has no sign of this
of my H&Rs the buntline has none
of others
my tauras 45 colt has no line , my two cimarrons have no lines , my cimarron 45 colt has none , i have some im too lazy to get to right now but

i think these are not the norm but not the end f the world either , not anything to worry of ,
all of my 45s are working guns and see a good deal of use , if it was a common ruger issue i would expect it on those , they spend a lot of time in holster and the wear of the finish on the muzzle ends is far more noticeable but not even that is excessive ,

Last edited by A square 10; 12-01-2019 at 12:22 AM.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:25 PM
Whalerman
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cylinder line

Page 16, #6 in the Ruger Wrangler Owner's Manual explains that this "drag line" is normal. It's not a QC issue. Enjoy your new Wrangler!
Old 12-04-2019, 10:26 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Yep, within spec and normal. If you have a Ruger without consider yourself blessed.
You can help it a bit, consider the interaction of the 'square topped' bolt coming into contact with a curved cylinder, a sharp edge on the bolt is going to contact first as the cylinder rotates into lockup. But that line will show if the bolt is heading properly toward the feed ramp of the cyl notch.
With those two considerations you can decide what part of that contacting bolt edge to LIGHTLY stone to make it less a sharp, dragging edge.
Then keep that part of the cylinder oiled in use so the bolt is riding on a lube layer rather than metal to (bluing) metal dry.
This has helped mitigate it on mine, ymmv.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:51 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Yep, within spec and normal. If you have a Ruger without consider yourself blessed.
You can help it a bit, consider the interaction of the 'square topped' bolt coming into contact with a curved cylinder, a sharp edge on the bolt is going to contact first as the cylinder rotates into lockup. But that line will show if the bolt is heading properly toward the feed ramp of the cyl notch.
With those two considerations you can decide what part of that contacting bolt edge to LIGHTLY stone to make it less a sharp, dragging edge.
Then keep that part of the cylinder oiled in use so the bolt is riding on a lube layer rather than metal to (bluing) metal dry.
This has helped mitigate it on mine, ymmv.
This right here is the perfect answer. My new blued steel single-six has a drag line that would drive some owners nuts, and I absolutely know that it was caused by a locking bolt that has a sharp edge on it. It's going to be a shooter and I didn't want to go to the effort of disassembling it and stoning it down. The cylinder locks up rock solid, tighter than any Ruger single action revolver that I have ever owned, and I've owned a few. For what its worth, drag lines aren't nearly as noticeable on stainless steel revolvers.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:47 AM
Big Pete10
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Wrangler has the line, prolly 150 rounds thru it. Single Six also has the line. All my S&Ws have drag lines. Seems like the Colt SAA is made so it doesn't get the line if you handle it correctly.
Choot it and have fun.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:52 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have a brand new SW Model 48 WMR. I've shot one cylinder and it has a faint drag line now. I expect and don't mind it.