Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-01-2019, 09:21 AM
Black Knight
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unused 25 year old gun.....possible?

I just purchased a Marlin 883, with a walnut stock and real cut checkering. The gun was manufactured in 1994. On the belly of the stock, near the front, is a sticker which says test fired and checked by so and so. The sticker has no curled edges, which I would expect if the gun had been shot a lot. Is this an original sticker, or one placed by a LGS someplace? If it is original, then I have just made an even better purchase than I first suspected. The gun is flawless except for a few scratches on the barrel and stock, otherwise, it looks unfired! Your thoughts?
Old 11-01-2019, 09:25 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You never know. It was certainly test fired at the factory but it wouldn't be the first time a gun sat unused or fired by the owner.. I have a Rem Model 5 and CZ 452 Ultra lux both nib and not used.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:44 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This past year I bought a stainless 981T that was still in the original box, with papers, and sticker on the stock. Pristine condition, and had never been taken out of the box.

So they're out there but very rare....sounds like you got lucky like I did.
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2019, 05:08 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
BK sir when I bought my 883 back in 2009 or so and it was brand new old stock and it had not been made for over 10 years. So yes you could find one that was that old.

Congrats on a great find.

Signalman
Old 11-01-2019, 07:32 PM
ferg
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Pics of said unicorn find or not true.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:58 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg View Post
Pics of said unicorn find or not true.
Nah not as rare as a unicorn. Maybe more like a legit virgin. (of either sex, variation,color, creed, domination,status,blah,blah,blah.........)

Last edited by scooter22; 11-01-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:23 PM
Garugerfan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes it’s possible. I bought this one (25M) a couple of months ago at my LGS. A couple of small scuffs on the stock but the metal is flawless. No sign of any powder residue in the receiver or magazine and the bolt still had the factory grease (dried of course) on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 87B5B20F-602F-431A-91F6-949D63899D49.jpeg (57.1 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg 9CCDFB5C-117A-4810-99F2-322503762146.jpg (498.7 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Garugerfan; 11-05-2019 at 01:27 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 11-05-2019, 01:36 PM
Loke
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You would be surprised at the amount of new old stock that is in the little gun shop where I work. Quite a few nice Weatherbys and others. The oldest that I know of is from 1998.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:33 PM
Namboonie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice find, Garugerfan.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:31 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loke View Post
You would be surprised at the amount of new old stock that is in the little gun shop where I work.
Quite a few nice Weatherbys and others. The oldest that I know of is from 1998.
You better have a clearance sale before they get stale and no one wants them.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:14 PM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You bet, I'm big on clearance sales and have a whole attic full to prove it.

John
Old 11-09-2019, 07:46 AM
Black Knight
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yesterday I mounted a scope on the gun. A Nikon 3-9x40 AO now sits on the receiver. I had purchased both Hawke and Weaver bases and Weaver quads, but after finishing I felt as if the scope had "wings" and was about to take off. So I stripped everything off, looked around and found some new Warne 3/8" RF rings, medium height. Absolutely perfect! I can remove the bolt, which was my concern to begin with. I checked the trigger pull, about 4 lbs 1 oz, and fired two rounds. No, I'm not cheap, but when I got everything ready the cows had moved to the greener grass which is in my firing lane! Oh well, there'll be another day. I can not tell you just how excited I am about this pristine example of the workmanship that once graced the Marlin name.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:37 PM
Big Shrek
US Army Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, there's the other reason a gun gets to sit a long time...death.
Teen gets a gun for his birthday...gets in a car crash/drowns/etc...gun sits...
Stuff like that happens all the time.
Sometimes the backstory is what makes something more valuable to the new owner.

Years ago I found a 1968 Mustang GT sitting in a customer's garage under a cover...i knew what it was from the wheels Had a chat with the owner about it after we delivered his stuff, he told me it had been his son's who had gone off to Vietnam shortly after buying it and never made it back home. He'd start it up and maintain it every change of season...it definitely didn't get out much. Told him he oughta take it out and really Get on it when he did the maintenance...kinda of a shame it never got to ZOOM!...a few months later he stopped in the store and told me he'd decided that it might be time to let it go...fortunately I was a bit flush with cash after having sold my '72 convertible 'Stang for way too much...so I bought it and enjoyed the heck outta that 390!! And REALLY good care of it, knowing the history!! Kept it for 7 years and then sold it for a tidy profit at a Car Show...still had slightly less than 50K on the Odo! Kinda wish I hadn't, tho...it was an Irish Special...Highland Green Metallic with Nugget Gold bucket seats and the full electric package Including the intergral CB radio in the dash!! What a CAR! But when folks offer you "Stupid Money!" overpaying by thousands for a coupe...well, ya just smile & take it!!
Old 12-04-2019, 09:09 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Well, there's the other reason a gun gets to sit a long time...death.
Teen gets a gun for his birthday...gets in a car crash/drowns/etc...gun sits...
Stuff like that happens all the time.
Sometimes the backstory is what makes something more valuable to the new owner.

Years ago I found a 1968 Mustang GT sitting in a customer's garage under a cover...i knew what it was from the wheels Had a chat with the owner about it after we delivered his stuff, he told me it had been his son's who had gone off to Vietnam shortly after buying it and never made it back home. He'd start it up and maintain it every change of season...it definitely didn't get out much. Told him he oughta take it out and really Get on it when he did the maintenance...kinda of a shame it never got to ZOOM!...a few months later he stopped in the store and told me he'd decided that it might be time to let it go...fortunately I was a bit flush with cash after having sold my '72 convertible 'Stang for way too much...so I bought it and enjoyed the heck outta that 390!! And REALLY good care of it, knowing the history!! Kept it for 7 years and then sold it for a tidy profit at a Car Show...still had slightly less than 50K on the Odo! Kinda wish I hadn't, tho...it was an Irish Special...Highland Green Metallic with Nugget Gold bucket seats and the full electric package Including the intergral CB radio in the dash!! What a CAR! But when folks offer you "Stupid Money!" overpaying by thousands for a coupe...well, ya just smile & take it!![/QUOTE]

I think they wrote a song about it. " Riding with Private Malone".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh1m0eC1004
Old 12-04-2019, 09:27 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Earlier this year, I bought a 60 year old NIB condition rifle.

Is the box perfect? No

Is the rifle perfect? Yes

Some folks buy firearms and never use them. Maybe the original owner bought it as a conversation piece.