Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-30-2019, 04:59 PM
Birfdaycake

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1967 Belgian Browning sa22

This was my great grandfather's, its mine now. From Belgium in 1967 and still shooting today! I got it out of the safe for my first time shooting it today, really neat little rifle. Used up some cheap super x target and put 1" groups at 25 yards, with the stock iron sights. Just though I'd share.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191130_105543_1575150930703.jpg (456.0 KB, 21 views)
Old 11-30-2019, 07:04 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great little rifle - a true classic. It looks like your great grandad really knew how to take care of it. I'm sure you will treasure it more as time goes by.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:37 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
I've now owned mine since this time in 1968.

No heirs and I no longer shoot, thinking about simplifying my estate, so I've been thinking about selling it. My father told me on the day that he bought it for me, that I should do with it as I see fit, that I should give no consideration to the fact that he bought it for me, that it was simply a thing that I wanted, so he bought it for me .Nothing more. Still, that he bought it for me, and he's long gone now, is part of the reason that I still own it. My unfired and perfect Grade IIs and IIIs, other high ends, etc were sold, and I just have this lowly used Grade I with a few nicks in it. The other reason for not selling it is that the proceeds wouldn't make the slightest difference in my life.

Last edited by Camster; 12-01-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2019, 11:09 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
im not sure what to say here , but i will start with congrats ,

ill follow up with some thoughts that might have been quick judgments and may not be warranted in hindsight but ill share anyway ,

i get the impression you think something dating to 1967 might not be expected to be functioning , that makes me wonder a little - i have some dating a 100 years before that - they work fine , i get it a little when i think about the fact that my great grandfather also lived in those earlier times - late 1800s , putting perspective on it - i could be a great grandfather now , not - just a grandfather but maybe my age is showing a bit here , so i guess my initial reaction might be over-reactive ,

in 1967 i would love to have had one of those rifles - couldnt afford it and looking at the draft and viet nam had me thinking of a lot of other things ,

i am glad to know your great grandfather took such good care of this , and cares enough for you to gift it to you , it is a very desirable rifle [belgian made is coveted] enjoy that rifle and know that if you care for it as well as he did it will still be a very functional rifle long after you are gone and your heirs are enjoying it ,

forgive an old man thinking about the fine rifles of his youth thought of as old to be an issue - i was young once , i have to remind myself how long ago that was sometimes ,

again congrats
Old 11-30-2019, 11:10 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Beautiful heirloom.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:31 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
They are awesome rifles. My first one was made in 1965 and it was like new when I got it in 1976. They are heirloom quality.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:18 AM
jerryray

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Beautiful rifle. I'm always a little amazed when I see one that there was a time not long ago that there were enough skilled artisans to put lovely hand engraving on those.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:12 PM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I bought my '59 Belgium Wheel Sight in 1960 for $72 and change iirrc when I was a sophomore in college. I grew up in the '50s on a farm shooting my family hand me down from my grandfather to my father's Remington Mdl 24. It was bought new by my grandad in 1925, the first year of production. It was the Remington licensed version of the Browning rifle produced under licence from J.M.B.. I still have it as well as my Belgium ATD. I shoot it occasionally, but only with SV. It is still accurate as when I started shooting it in 1951. I didn't miss with it. And my current ATD will make a dime sized hole at 25 yards all day long.

The ATD, as you know, is one of the finest .22 rifles ever built. I have ho doubt mine will be shooting as good a 100 years from now as it does now. If you don't have any real feeling for it and no passion to hang on to it, pick out some young person to gift it to. Someone whom you feel will appreciate the rifle for what it is and who it came from. Someone who treasured it as your grandfather did.

That would be my suggestion.

VH

Last edited by varmit hunter67; 12-04-2019 at 12:15 PM. Reason: sp.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:36 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmit hunter67 View Post
I bought my '59 Belgium Wheel Sight in 1960 for $72 and change iirrc when I was a sophomore in college. I grew up in the '50s on a farm shooting my family hand me down from my grandfather to my father's Remington Mdl 24. It was bought new by my grandad in 1925, the first year of production. It was the Remington licensed version of the Browning rifle produced under licence from J.M.B.. I still have it as well as my Belgium ATD. I shoot it occasionally, but only with SV. It is still accurate as when I started shooting it in 1951. I didn't miss with it. And my current ATD will make a dime sized hole at 25 yards all day long.

The ATD, as you know, is one of the finest .22 rifles ever built. I have ho doubt mine will be shooting as good a 100 years from now as it does now. If you don't have any real feeling for it and no passion to hang on to it, pick out some young person to gift it to. Someone whom you feel will appreciate the rifle for what it is and who it came from. Someone who treasured it as your grandfather did.

That would be my suggestion.

VH
That is what I will do with mine when I can no longer shoot.

Your advice is wise since the SA-22s are heirloom quality.