Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-30-2019, 11:59 AM
pblanc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Aftermarket heavy taper barrels

I am thinking ahead to replacing a stock carbine barrel on one 10/22 with a heavy taper barrel.

I am looking primarily at the 17" heavy taper barrel offerings from Feddersen and Green Mountain. KID has a 20" heavy taper barrel, but I don't think I want one that long and heavy.

Ideally, I would like something that offers good accuracy with mid-price ammunition, such as CCI standard velocity, or Aguila Super Extra high or standard velocity ammunition.

I would welcome any feedback from those who have experience with either the Feddersen or Green Mountain 17" heavy tapered barrels specifically, both with regards to accuracy, preferred ammo type, and how much relieving of a standard carbine stock was required to fit the barrel.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:11 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I only have experience with Feddersen .920 barrels (which are excellent). I've never owned a GM heavy taper either but from what I hear from others they are very accurate. Maybe even more so than their bb's.
Old 11-30-2019, 02:33 PM
crackedcornish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've done 4 rifles with the GM Heavy Taper barrels(3 with the 17" and 1 with a 19") so far, and while I can say they all shoot very well, they're still rimfires, and as such you will have to do a bit of experimenting to find each specific barrels most accurate ammo..I always start with an assortment of the cheapest, and work mu way up the ladder till I find what I'm looking for

I've not put a GMHT in a standard Carbine stock..I've only used DSP's and Compacts, so I can't tell you how much wood you'll have left at the barrel band area or how much clearance it will take to fit the band itself, but just doing the channel to fit the barrel isn't a bad job if you take your time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2019, 02:54 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ive done 2 builds with the 17 HT GM barrels. They shoot very well. Base ammo Aquila SV. CCI SV, best ammo Wolf match extra, SK
Pistol Match.But no carbine for me either. I believe the barrel band will require some modification to fit on the H T barrel. Sanding out the channel is easy .fist pic is tne 20 inch sporter from GM , its bigger than a oem barrel and sanding the xhannel is also necessary, second pi sthe 17 in GM HT in stainless, third pic isthe 22 in Running Boar, sandinding needed and the 4th is the 17 in GM in blue.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:03 PM
kkd

TPC Rating: 
100% (60)
Have both

I have both GM and FJ Fedderson 17" Heavy tapers
It's a toss up with me as per accuracy

But...

I don't punch paper
Just squirrels in the head

The GM is considerably cheaper if you buy it from Rimfire Sports & Custom
The GM is $130 shipped to your door as opposed to $170 plus $20 shipping from Fedderson

On the plus side, it took three weeks to get my barrel from FJ
It seems that they tested it before sending it to me
Bless their hearts....

They sent me a good one.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:50 PM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkd View Post
I have both GM and FJ Fedderson 17" Heavy tapers
It's a toss up with me as per accuracy

But...

I don't punch paper
Just squirrels in the head

The GM is considerably cheaper if you buy it from Rimfire Sports & Custom
The GM is $130 shipped to your door as opposed to $170 plus $20 shipping from Fedderson

On the plus side, it took three weeks to get my barrel from FJ
It seems that they tested it before sending it to me
Bless their hearts....

They sent me a good one.
Problem is you have to roll the dice to save 40 bucks with the GM barrel. No gambling fro FJF.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:15 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Id get whichever, make it fit into the stock sans the barrel band just like the Deluxe and after you find out how much and where the pressure pad should be in the stock to barrel contact reprofile the tip of the carbine stock.
Or just bite the bullet and get another stock you like with a .920 channel already there (pressure pad it if needed for your new heavy taper barrel) and save the carbine stock. Eventually you will take all your replaced oem parts and put a carbine back together.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:29 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have a couple of the Kidd heavy tapered barrels. One is stainless and the other is black to match the nitride treated Kingston Armory receivers that it went into. Both are extremely accurate. Both were purchased threaded on the muzzle for a suppressor.

Both are “keepers”.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:58 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I guess you could get a bad barrel from GM, i never have. And while they dont have an Accuracy Guarantee , they do have a reputation, which i would think is just as important to them. And the $160 i save on the above barrels let me buy this one, a 28 inch GM Stainless HB. Which is also a good shooter.

The GM HTs are bigger than the Kidds, more H than T. And not threaded, So if the T is more of what your looking for , id look at the specs on the FED too. And consider the GM sporter barrel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04C8AAB7-BD32-4FE5-AA80-322DC82ECD29.jpg (471.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 12-01-2019, 12:15 AM
kkd

TPC Rating: 
100% (60)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
Problem is you have to roll the dice to save 40 bucks with the GM barrel. No gambling fro FJF.
If you do the math, the savings is more like $60
And....
I didn't know the GM HT was a dice roll
I've never had one that shot bad nor have I heard anyone say that they had one that was a dud.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:55 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Does anyone with both have a borescope to tell us what the interiors of both are like?
Old 12-01-2019, 04:58 PM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Does anyone with both have a borescope to tell us what the interiors of both are like?
doesn't matter...either it will shoot tight groups or it won't
Old 12-01-2019, 05:15 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I'd kinda like to see IF there is a correlation on that since 'we have the tools now'.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:30 PM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkd View Post
If you do the math, the savings is more like $60
And....
I didn't know the GM HT was a dice roll
I've never had one that shot bad nor have I heard anyone say that they had one that was a dud.
You have to ask yourself.. Do I really think there is a such thing as a free lunch?? Fred and Tony probably make less profit per barrel than GM does. The problem is... Most people take pride in saving $$$ and forget about what the result of their saving is. If Fred and Tony's barrels were not better than GM's they wouldn't be in business. I'll say it again... GM barrels are a crap shot whether you want to admit it or not.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:46 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I know that Kidd uses Lothar-Walther blanks. That means that they are starting with a great blank. I have a couple of GM barrels, one of which is threaded on the muzzle. They are decent, but I now pay the difference for the Kidd. To me, the difference is worth the price.