The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly Model 4 456 Lux - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:54 AM
timberbeast
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL SHOOTER View Post
I can't get that pic of the crown out of my head...
It is indeed rough. But the action sounds good, and the stock can be tuned easily. Sounds like a good project gun that has excellent prospects of being a real shooter.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:42 AM
67rschev
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Praying to the 'Release Gods'

Ye-haw last night. I don't care how many times one does this, It's a nerve racking proposition every time. Will crack it open this afternoon

Old 03-30-2020, 10:38 PM
67rschev

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Threw it in the freezer for an hour, and it popped right out. Caught one small void in front side of the barrel lug, not bad enough to worry about going back and filling. Will fire up the Dremel again tomorrow, let the in-letting fun begin

Old 03-30-2020, 10:55 PM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67rschev View Post
Nice tool in function and form. I have used a Newway valve seat cutter, this is made by Newway for Manson same bits and pieces

Finished product

Nice crown! If I had that tool I might not be able to resist recrowning every gun I own.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:39 AM
loaded

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That bedding job looks nice so far.

Fear of welding the action to the stock
holds back many people, me included.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:40 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice crown 67.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loaded View Post
Fear of welding the action to the stock
holds back many people, me included.
Use a practice gun; apply Kiwi shoe polish 2X and buff it both times. 2nd time is in case one misses a spot the first time. Not a job to be rushed IME.
My Rem 700 with a big recoil lug took me 20 min. to 'bump' the action out. I got nervous with that one and the air was blue.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:35 AM
67rschev

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Little bit more to finish the in-letting, and barrel floated to the front of the bedding.

Old 04-20-2020, 03:38 PM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
It is what it is, and there would be no way I would pass it down the road to the next guy with out full disclosure. Unfortunately I'm a shooter who collects a few, not a collector who shoots a few. Making this No 4 shoot may hurt the value, but I was in to this piece right enough to make it what I want, if that makes sense. As I was cutting the barrel last night, I was thinking how perfect it would be at 18 inches threaded for my Form 2 home built ....

Anyway, made some progress on it last night. Hope to address the stock issue today.

Dirty deed done

Nice tool in function and form. I have used a Newway valve seat cutter, this is made by Newway for Manson same bits and pieces

Finished product

67rschev,
I love the result that you got with that crowning/valve-grinding device. I've been inspecting my bores and crowns lately with my new borescope from Red China and while I don't have any that are visually bad, but few if any of them look as perfect as as yours there. Have you crowned other 22 LRs and if so, did you notice any difference in accuracy or consistency if they weren't noticeably bad?
Old 04-20-2020, 07:00 PM
67rschev

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I6turbo View Post
67rschev,
I love the result that you got with that crowning/valve-grinding device. I've been inspecting my bores and crowns lately with my new borescope from Red China and while I don't have any that are visually bad, but few if any of them look as perfect as as yours there. Have you crowned other 22 LRs and if so, did you notice any difference in accuracy or consistency if they weren't noticeably bad?
Nope, this was the first time using the tool and was bought specifically for the Lux. Good tool in function and form. With correct careful use, the pilot will never damage the bore and I will use it again when needed with out a second thought. I cant see doing any re-crown and ever hurting the precision, a good chance that it may shoot better, especially if the crown looked like the one on this 456 I had pictured.

A bit of an update, I did get the bedding in-letting completed and got it to the range a week ago. Only a few groups shot, and I ran into a magazine issues again. Looks promising, but I have very high expectations this Model 4 will have to live up to. I wont post a token picture of a cherry picked group or two. For real evaluation on precision, a minimum of 5 or 6 consecutive groups in a target set should be examined.

Magazine that came with the Model 4 is in need of tuning, I was shaving lead on load up so I quit after only a couple groups. The feed angle is way too steep, and sometimes the bolt wouldn't even pick up the next round. Feed lips needed to be opened up a bit. For comparison here is a new CZ factory magazine side by side with the one that came with the Lux

Shaving lead never good for accuracy

Missed pickup on a round

New magazine on the left, Model 4 magazine on the right steep angle of the nose of the round, would crash into the top of the breach. You can see the following rounds nose on the suspect magazine

New magazine on the left, Model 4 magazine on the right rear view showing feed lip difference and feed angle

Last edited by 67rschev; 04-20-2020 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:52 AM
NoNewTricks
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
...New magazine on the left, Model 4 magazine on the right rear view showing feed lip difference and feed angle

Looks like that one may have been dropped or took a lick of some force.