Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-27-2020, 06:27 PM
67rschev
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly Model 4 456 Lux

Some of you know that somehow I was the only bidder on a BRNO Model 4 456 Lux a few moths ago. I had promised some pictures for documentation purposes as these seem to be quite rare, and came with a few different sight options and stock finishes. For those of you kicking yourself for not bidding that one cent it would have taken for the BRNO to be yours, don't be too hard on yourselves .... This one is going to take some serious loving to get it to 'Finding a long term place in the safe' If they refuse to shoot, I don't keep them very long, life is too short to play with inaccurate rifles. This thread isn't the pictures I've promised, but more of a where I am with this one

I'll start with the 'GOOD'. I absolutely love how this one shoulders. The Cast they whittled into this is just perfect. I think if you put a little weight into it, would be great for rams and chickens. The natural way it sights is perfect and yes it makes you wonder why all squirrel gun stocks aren't built this way. The finish is much better than the auction had showed.

Picture of amount of cast found in the stock

The 'BAD' First outing I couldn't get it on paper with the scope I was using. Ran out of elevation adjustment. Seems as when they machine down a great big target tube, it can occasionally induce some stress into the barrel which in turn gave this example a bit of a droop. After consulting with a friend, we used his precision oven that he uses for heat treating, and 'normalized' the action a couple of cycles bringing up and down in the heat range. Releases the stress apparently. Much of the droop was removed and the second range session I was able to get on paper using the same optic. Now with the open sights, this might not be an issue, I will test this down the road. More BAD, at 50 yards finally printed about 10 groups with some proven RWS, and was both GOOD and BAD. This thing would print a 5 shot cloverleaf at .300 and the very next group would be 1.200. No rhyme or reason, stack 4 or 5 then throw the next 3 or 4.

The 'UGLY' now. Banana barrel has all kinds of pressure points in the channel, that will be an easy fix. I knew the crown was butched, but just refused to acknowledge it till I had actually had shot it. Looks like someone tried a crown job with a drill bit, and damage to the rifling down about an eighth of an inch. Game plan is to cut the crap off about one half inch or so, and throw a target crown on it and keep my fingers and toes crossed. Just got the Manson tool today, so I should be able to report back soon. The rest of the barrel looks very nice, as well as the leade. Some more good did come about, as I was thinking I would have to cut the front sight band to get it off. Last night with some Kroil and heat I was able to remove it with out any damage so score one win. Gratuitous pictures of the UGLY for you guys to ewww and awww about.

Three different points of the crown with a scope

Last edited by 67rschev; 02-27-2020 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:57 AM
I6turbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
67rs, thanks for posting your experiences with this gun so far. As you know, I was one who was close to bidding on the gun, but managed to resist. After all, it's probably a good thing that you got it instead of me or many others because you seem to have the determination to track down and sort out any issues and make it the great gun that it should be. Props to you on that part! And I hope you will continue to update this thread with your progress because it's very interesting.

I believe member jmrybak has one of the 456 Lux guns. I wonder what he's found with his.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:50 AM
jmrybak

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Thanks for the update and so much information, particularly that which some would shy away from sharing!! Sounds like you have a great plan. I hope to see more great updates and phenomenal targets from you soon!!

My Model 4 is a Lauf Kurz instead of a Lux. So my barrel contour/ diameter is the same as the standard Model 4 L. The barrel length on the Lauf Kurz is 625mm rather than the 700mm found on the standard Model. I have not found any problems with the barrel or stock being less than straight, and have found mid level ammo like Eley Target, Eley Team, Wolf, SK+ To be capable of under 0.5” at 50 yds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2020, 12:25 PM
I6turbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrybak View Post
Thanks for the update and so much information, particularly that which some would shy away from sharing!! Sounds like you have a great plan. I hope to see more great updates and phenomenal targets from you soon!!

My Model 4 is a Lauf Kurz instead of a Lux. So my barrel contour/ diameter is the same as the standard Model 4 L. The barrel length on the Lauf Kurz is 625mm rather than the 700mm found on the standard Model. I have not found any problems with the barrel or stock being less than straight, and have found mid level ammo like Eley Target, Eley Team, Wolf, SK+ To be capable of under 0.5 at 50 yds.
Sorry about that confusion. I think someone here has one. Perhaps it is BRNO/CZluvr... or someone else...
Old 02-28-2020, 12:45 PM
jmrybak

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I6turbo View Post
Sorry about that confusion. I think someone here has one. Perhaps it is BRNO/CZluvr... or someone else...
No worries at all sir! Happy to clarify and glad to have so many people involved in the conversation.
Old 02-28-2020, 01:01 PM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
EWWWW !

I can't get that pic of the crown out of my head...
Old 02-28-2020, 02:45 PM
BRNO/CZluvr
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
You got me curious. Gonna go check the crown on mine now. I have about a dozen rifles I have not shot yet. It's one of them. It is now number one on my shoot list. Be right back. Mine is bright and shiny, so someone definitely recrowned it. So, my next outing will be the 456 lux, tgf an 457 premium.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:12 AM
67rschev

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrybak View Post
Thanks for the update and so much information, particularly that which some would shy away from sharing!!
It is what it is, and there would be no way I would pass it down the road to the next guy with out full disclosure. Unfortunately I'm a shooter who collects a few, not a collector who shoots a few. Making this No 4 shoot may hurt the value, but I was in to this piece right enough to make it what I want, if that makes sense. As I was cutting the barrel last night, I was thinking how perfect it would be at 18 inches threaded for my Form 2 home built ....

Anyway, made some progress on it last night. Hope to address the stock issue today.

Dirty deed done

Nice tool in function and form. I have used a Newway valve seat cutter, this is made by Newway for Manson same bits and pieces

Finished product

Old 02-29-2020, 08:15 AM
67rschev

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRNO/CZluvr View Post
You got me curious. Gonna go check the crown on mine now. I have about a dozen rifles I have not shot yet. It's one of them. It is now number one on my shoot list. Be right back. Mine is bright and shiny, so someone definitely recrowned it. So, my next outing will be the 456 lux, tgf an 457 premium.
Please keep us posted. I would love to see some detailed pictures if you have the time and ability. Your collection of No.4s is outstanding. If I can get this one to agg 5s and under at 50, I will be ecstatic. There was absolutely NO information on the 456 Lux out there to be found. Was really a blind purchase for me. I would be curious as to how many of these BRNO Model 4 orphans there are out there in circulation.

Last edited by 67rschev; 02-29-2020 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:06 AM
BRNO/CZluvr

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67rschev View Post
Please keep us posted. I would love to see some detailed pictures if you have the time and ability. Your collection of No.4s is outstanding. If I can get this one to agg 5s and under at 50, I will be ecstatic. There was absolutely NO information on the 456 Lux out there to be found. Was really a blind purchase for me. I would be curious as to how many of these BRNO Model 4 orphans there are out there in circulation.
Thanks so much. I will try and get some more pics of all the 4s. I really wish that REAL cameras were still being used. I despise phone cameras. I understand that only about 200 456 lux were made. So, they are pretty rare. I just can't understand that some people think that BRNO made these rifles originally. Aeron BRNO took model 4s and turned down barrels to a sporter contour added front sights and cut a dovetail and added the rear sight. They even took the model 4 stocks filled in the barrel channel and stud swivel mounts with leftover wood cut from the original stock. See pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200229_094211.jpg (541.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20200229_094055.jpg (508.2 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by BRNO/CZluvr; 02-29-2020 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:57 PM
67rschev

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
There might be a glimmer hope. Threw on a scope and it took about five or six to sight it in with some Aguila, and then switched to an average lot of FGGM 922A. Printed seven groups top left to lower right and it wasn't great, but it wasn't awful either so hope. Dumb %%% that I am, forgot the magazine. Single feed no magazine so I was constantly having to rebuild my position every shot and it showed with the diagonal shown in the targets. This little bugger with the tiny little schnabel takes a bit of concentration to shoot. Will do some stock tinkering next.

Side note, printed two true five shot one-holers, with the 455 back to back. Fun when you get em. As you send the next one, and the next one through the same hole, its like the target is 'Winking', at ya. First one might be smallest group to date out of the 455, outside edge to edge is .282 Dots are .250. Good fun

Last edited by 67rschev; 03-01-2020 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:39 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
Nice shooting with the 455.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:26 PM
BRNO/CZluvr

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
67rschev I sure do admire your ability to diagnose and fix the problem on your 456. I wonder if other rifles may have the same problem. Maybe the barrel got to hot while being turned down on the lathe. We all want pics of any additional work or targets. By the way. Your 455 is a winner. Good luck.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:07 AM
67rschev

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRNO/CZluvr View Post
67rschev I sure do admire your ability to diagnose and fix the problem on your 456. I wonder if other rifles may have the same problem. Maybe the barrel got to hot while being turned down on the lathe. We all want pics of any additional work or targets. By the way. Your 455 is a winner. Good luck.
I'm no BRNO 'Whisperer', all issues with this #4 were pretty easy to see. I do secretly enjoy the journey, no matter how bumpy, it sometimes takes to making a firearm live to its potential. Everything learned, started here and a few other quality forums on the net, and a good deal of trial and error. Boy I do miss 'Emeroy / Sporter' who used to post here in my early days. Learned a lot reading his posts on the CZ platforms.

The Friend stated that the stress comes form being turned down. I don't understand exactly how, I'm not a machinist. He says they likely heat treated it once, but the stress stayed and over time presented itself. Same way they heat treat after they drill and rifle a barrel during production. I think that fluted barrels are fluted before final heat treatment would be my guess.

Last edited by 67rschev; 03-04-2020 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:14 PM
67rschev

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Like many others, I am finding myself with quite a bit of extra time at home these days

Did some investigating on the 456 stock and found the issue was the rear pillar was set around 1.5mm to high in the stock. The front pillar was never in contact with the barrel lug. I'm sure dorking around with the front screw tension could have helped with the Lux's precision, but I subscribe to ' If action screw torque makes a difference in how it shoots, you have an action to stock issue ' Figured that I had all ready cut the end of the barrel and I would not hurt collectible value any more than I already had , might as well dive in. There was a bit anxiety prepping the stock for bedding, as there just not a whole lot of material that one is able to remove on these. THIN THIN . Using the rear pillar height for the level. Gonna goop it up tonight

Last edited by 67rschev; 03-29-2020 at 01:21 PM.