Cci / savage a-22 35gr gamepoint review - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:55 PM
TOP PREDATOR

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Cci / savage a-22 35gr gamepoint review

I usually use CCI 40 gr maximag for turkey hunting, it's rather accurate and effective through my Marlin 882 on the birds. When it comes to squirrel and varmints, the Hornady 30 gr Vmax gets the nod.

However, it is a bit of a pain to resight in (turrets adjusted for the switch, but range check it anyhow) for either, plus during the overlapping of seasons I have to commit to one or another quarry as the 30 gr is less than ideal for penetration on turkey

Plus I enjoy target shoot, with the current seemingly non-availability and price of either, the rifle stays in the safe more than it should.

So I came across this A-22 ammo, with a published velocity, weight, bullet design, and price that should be an all around ammo. Purchased 2 200rnd count boxes, and headed to the range along with my beloved 40gr TMJ and 30gr Vmax.

Marlin 882, shot from a covered bench, bipod & r. bag, 85 dg F, 75% Hum., sunny, 3-5mph wind from 4:00. 10 round FPS through chrony 10ft from muzzle. Furthest shot was 100Y, ran out of daylight to go any further distance. Groups measured to outer edge, not CTC. None of the ammos were weight or diameter sorted, straight from the box.

First ammo up was the CCI maximag 40gr TMJ, as that is what I was zeroed in at 50Y.

CCI maximag 40 gr TMJ 10 rounds per distance, avg FPS 1888, 16 Dev. there was 1 round of 10 that were chronographed that spiked at 1928, which drove the avg FPS to 1893, 47 Dev. Published FPS1875. There was no misfires or misfeeds.

50Y zero just under .5" group
75Y -.25" drop just over 1.25" group
100Y -2" drop just under 1.5" group

Hornady 30 gr Vmax 10 rounds per distance, avg FPS 2258, 16 Dev. there was 1 round of 10 that were chronographed that was low at 2216, which drove the avg FPS to 2251, 48 Dev. Published FPS 2200. There was no misfires or misfeeds. POI @ 50y was 1.25" low and 1.25" right of the 40 gr TMJ.

50Y zero just over .25" group
75Y -.25" drop just under 1" group
100Y -1" drop just under 1" group

This stuff is awesome!

Now for the A-22...

After 25 rounds of just plinking to just get used to what this ammo is doing, I noticed it was grouping rather large, and seemingly the barrel got heated up much quicker and hotter than with the other two ammos. Can't prove the heat, but just to the touch, the barrel just seemed hotter. So I set my cell phone timer for 2 minutes between each shot, the groups tightened a bit. Then started shooting groups for comparison.

CCI / Savage A-22 35 gr Gamepoint 10 rounds per distance, avg FPS 2056, 21 Dev. There were 2 rounds of 10 that were chronographed that was high 2090 & 2085, which drove the avg FPS to 2061, 47 Dev. Published FPS 2100. There were 5 misfires in the first 100 rounds (recocked, then they fired), no misfeeds. POI @ 50y was 1.75" low and 1.5" right of the 40 gr TMJ.

50Y zero just under 1.5" group. reshot 5 more 5 round groups, same thing just under 1.5" groups
75Y -1.5" drop 1.5" group
100Y -2" drop just over 1.5" group

With the warmed up barrel as described before, the groups were larger, around 2.5" at 50Y. This was not experienced with the 40 or 30 gr ammos. It just seems this ammo's powder runs hotter than the others.

A few more groups were shot with each ammo at each distance just to confirm the data above, and to confirm turret and holdover settings. Each session was typical of the above, with the Hornady ammo blowing the other two out of the water when it comes to a performance target round.

So for what it's worth my final impressions, through my rifle - not very impressed with the A-22 ammo when compared to the maxi mag 40gr and the 30gr Vmax. It is far off from the Hornady at distances tested, and though not that bad compared to the 40 Gr TMJ at 100Y, at every distance less than 100Y the 40 grainers performed better in group size, drop, and reliability.

It just seems odd that it kept a 1.5"ish group at 50Y, and continued to do so out to 100Y, for that I'd give it some credit for printing consistantly. I did shoot a few groups at 25Y (-.25" from 50Y zero) and 10Y (-1.5" from 50Y zero), which are more realistic squirrel hunting distances, the groups were just above .25".

IMO it's not really an ammo, at least through a Marlin 882, that could be bragged about, however is really more of a utilitarian round as it prints on paper. I don't know how it's terminal performance will be on critters, hopefully will be able to see how it works on groundhogs the next few weeks, the fall hunting season will produce more real results.

Will it be the all around hunting ammo I was looking for? Only the next hunting season will tell, and the several misfires experienced at the range hopefully will not happen when there is a turkey centered in the cross hairs. As far as a more precise target round, I'd have to say there are better choices out there, that is, if you can find it and be willing to pay more for it than in the last few years.

Perhaps weight sorting would tighten up the groups more, however straight from the box it is at the most a mediocre utility ammo that produces 1.5" groups, and is reasonably priced, perhaps should be priced even a few dollars less after seeing what it can and can not do at the range.

Last edited by TOP PREDATOR; 07-07-2016 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:04 AM
cabin22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice review! I've found that the CCI TMJ & Hornady V-Max perform the best across my 22WMR guns, with the TMJ slightly better most days, but I don't shoot them much past 50 yards anyway. I appreciate the results and the info on the A22, which I haven't tried yet. Doesn't sound like I need to either.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:17 PM
redear

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
that's a good review, thanks for the efforts. I got a box of the A22 and will probably waite till I get a cz512 to shoot it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2016, 08:08 PM
redear

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
today I shot some of this ammo out of a new cz512 and it was far and away the most accurate ammo tried so far out of this rifle. It outshot hornady vmax and cci 40gr. hp. I know 22mags are finicky and this in no way reflects negatively on the vmax etc. it's just the preference of this gun. I was getting a 1inch group at 65yds shooting out of the car window with the motor and ac running so am sure it will do better than this. this was with the a22 stuff.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:21 PM
Tuco Tom

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shot the CCI A22 Mag ammo along w/ Hornady 30 GR. V-Max and CCI 30 GR. V-Max. The CCI A22 Mag is a 35 grain bullet.
The CCI A22 Mag shot the best by a slim margin.

The shopped around on the internet for the A22 mag ammo and of course everyone is out of stock...Except AmmoMan. He has the 200 round packs for $145...that's $36.25 for a box of 50 rounds.

I saw some 22 Mag in Cabela's the other day for $24/Box and passed!
I'm not sure investing in Ammunician isn't a better bet than the stock market for my 401K.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:49 PM
redear

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have seen the A22 in cabelas store for 60 bucks and in a lgs for 65 bucks and the only reason I don't load up on it is when I go to hunt I will probably want a softer bullet like the cci 40gr.hp or such. the A22 is a little pricey I think, but I have had the choice of several loads lately, it is very accurate though. I have been seeing some 40gr. fiocchi soft point too and can't remember the price but it looks like the 40gr. gamepoint bullet. saw some 30gr. plus V cci too with the nickel plated brass. I also saw a bunch of cci 40gr. fmj but wouldn't want to shoot an animal with that I don't think.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:30 PM
Tuco Tom

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The CCI A22 35 grain bullet has a lead tip, I believe it would be good for ground squirrel or any small game......