Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:49 AM
linekin
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)

Hoot, I'd bet that Mr. Voelker has already cleaned the bolt. Wouldn't hurt to ask though & if not then by all means do so.
Don't know much about 40X's but its always been preached to keep my Turbo bolts clean. That being the case, I would think that goes for all ignition systems. You might want to acquire you own tools to disassemble the bolt in the future so you'll be able to clean often.
I see one of the countries top shooters disassemble his Turbo or 10X bolts after each match & assemble them before each match. I'm assuming for 2 reasons. To clean & to keep the tension off the spring.
Good luck with the "new" gun!

Keith
Old 03-08-2017, 07:08 AM
Hoot
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Thanks for the advice and encouragement Keith. I zipped off an email to Brian asking. What I wouldn't give for a custom rig built around a Turbo... Getting proficient at hand loading the rounds into the 40X will be near the to of the To-Do list. I like my scopes as low as possible to the bore line, so there's not enough room to come in from the left. Funny as it may sound, despite shooting right handed, my left hand is my dexterous one. Would love a left port rifle.

Hoot
Old 03-08-2017, 08:59 AM
Hoot
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
According to Brian, he completely disassembled and cleaned the bolt. He said that the rifle did not look like it had been fired much, compared to many he has worked on. Guess I'll take a chill pill and await its arrival.

Hoot
Old 03-10-2017, 01:26 PM
Hoot
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
It arrived today and at first blush looks good! According to the invoice, he also trued the action and lapped the lugs. Feels real smooth locking and unlocking. The four included Eley cases show a strong firing pin strike. I'm a Lapua man, however, but I'm not concerned about the pin strike for the moment. The Winchester 52 chamber engraves a Lapua Center X bullet to just past the first (forward) cannelure. (not sure if cannelure is the correct term but you know what I mean) Sure can see the ratchet effect in the engraving. Can't wait for temps to rise about 50 degrees so that I can see how it handles. We don't have the benefit of a tunnel around here, nor a true indoor BR setup to try and find tune. Will have to watch for warm temps that coincide with still wind conditions to test on the local outdoor rifle range about 10 minutes from me. I'm sure we'll get a window or two before league matches start in 30 days. Just don't want to wait too long in case the barrel doesn't like my ammo and I need to play that game.

Hoot
Old 06-24-2019, 02:29 PM
Hoot
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Fast Forward 2 1/2 years and a lot of experience later, both in over-interest in gadgets and gizmos, then resolving to just keep plugging away, learning to read my flags. Its tough up here with only 6 months (if you're lucky) of rimfire shooting weather.

I'm here to thank Brian for helping a neighbor to the north get a good platform going on a tight budget, that enabled me to take the 2019 Minnesota ARA State Championship yesterday. I shot against members who have outspent me considerably, including the (gadgets and gizmos ) on custom built rigs using state-of-the-art actions and Eley tested, cases of ammo. The old CMP 40Xb stood tall and after just over 1 case through it, its just getting broken in!

I've been chasing the State Champion's Cap for 6 years. Came in 2nd back in 2014 with my Cooper TRP and some kick-butt 2nd hand Eley Match but that's like "getting a kiss from your cousin". At least up in these parts. Then that ammo ran out and so did my luck until the 40X came along. Loves Center-X!

My 6 target agg for the tournament was 2300.

Brian, if you see this, take a bow. I was and still remain, in your debt.

Hoot