Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:52 PM
kingrider
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Front rest

Have a MPR and looking for suggestions for a good front bench rest. Not wanting a really expensive one but one that is solid and wide enough for the 2.5Ē forend
Old 06-10-2019, 06:02 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
I've had numerous high end rifles, a few dozen Anschutz, but I never felt the need for a big or sophisticated rest. Just a comp of an $80 Caldwell, with a rabbit ear bag for the rear of the stock.Those items and other accessories would fit into a large tool box.
When you need to tote too much stuff to the range, it starts to take some of the fun out of it.

Last edited by Camster; 06-11-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:03 PM
Thomasconnor

TPC Rating: 
100% (76)
You're probably better off over in Benchrest Equipment. There are many rests depending on your budget, and you buy the bag that fits in the rest for your particular application.

Since you asked, especially if you want windage adjustment, I like Cowan rests, high quality, attractive, and built in America by Americans for a good cause. Well under $300 delivered.

Reversible, this one's set up for a lefty...Tom

Last edited by Thomasconnor; 06-10-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2019, 06:06 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thank God for living in pensyltuky, where I park my truck that is the shooting range, just grab what I need out of the back and bang away
Old 06-10-2019, 07:12 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Donít have a mechanical front rest myself but as the man said, itís on my wish list and hoping to pick up a used one before years end.

I have borrowed and used a few and my tuppence worth says.

Cheap rests are cheap/crude and adequate for plinking Ė they are not nearly good enough if youíre going to take BR seriously.

High end rests are super engineered bits of kit and highly adjustable but some are wallet busting expensive.

Some mid-range rests are fine if you tweak them slightly and use a good front and rear bag.

If taking BR serious, you really need fine elevation and lateral adjustment. Check out Bench Techniques & Equipment - https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...=59&order=desc

Giz
Old 06-10-2019, 07:34 PM
MKnarr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I like the Caldwell rest. This one has an aftermarket top but the new version has been improved and doesn't need a different top. It will fit a wide stock. They run about 160-170 but sometimes go on sale for $130. Te top is adjustable for windage and the top has adjustments for elevation, course, mild and very fine.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:22 AM
jps2486

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
A Bald Eagle from Grizzly.com is a great rest for around $179. If you can't find it on Grizzly's site, then check ebay. Sometimes a good front and rear sandbag will give good results. Bullsbag is a real heavy one that works well for me. If you get one, don't try to buy an unfilled bag and fill it yourself. You'll never get it right. Spend the extra $$ for shipping and get it filled

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Bal...luminum/BE1005

http://www.bullsbag.com/15_Black_Suede_s/39.htm
Old 06-11-2019, 11:03 AM
Gillis2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
When had my MPR, I used a MPOD bipod. Very sturdy, stable and light and it fits perfectly in the rail of the MPR without any adaptor. You can buy them from Jerry Teo at Mystic Precision. This is a Canadian based retailer but I am sure Jerry ships to the US.

Gilbert
Old 06-11-2019, 11:33 AM
HAL 9000

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thomasconner

Your front rest looks awfully familiar to one I bought 30 years ago from the Greater Altoona Career and Technology Center. Each student in the machining program was required to build a front gun rest. They were then sold and the money put back into the program. Quality was first class (still using mine) and price was extremely low. Also bought a set of head space gauges made by them. Yours is the first one I have seen online if that is where it came from.

P.S. Nice looking Sako.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:15 PM
Thomasconnor

TPC Rating: 
100% (76)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post
Thomasconner

Your front rest looks awfully familiar to one I bought 30 years ago from the Greater Altoona Career and Technology Center. Each student in the machining program was required to build a front gun rest. They were then sold and the money put back into the program. Quality was first class (still using mine) and price was extremely low. Also bought a set of head space gauges made by them. Yours is the first one I have seen online if that is where it came from.

P.S. Nice looking Sako.
Yes that's the Cowan rest, built in America by Americans for a good cause. Joe Cowan is the machine shop instructor and a member here.

And high quality; no threads on how to fix them once you receive it like the Asian rests.

I've never appreciated Bald Eagle after they moved production from the US to an Asian sweat shop...Tom
Old 06-11-2019, 12:26 PM
Dubhane
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasconnor View Post
You're probably better off over in Benchrest Equipment. There are many rests depending on your budget, and you buy the bag that fits in the rest for your particular application.

Since you asked, especially if you want windage adjustment, I like Cowan rests, high quality, attractive, and built in America by Americans for a good cause. Well under $300 delivered.

Reversible, this one's set up for a lefty...Tom

+1 on the Cowan front rest. I have both the Cowan rest and a 64 MPR and am very pleased with both. You may want to check out M.Werks forearm bench rest plate. That is what I use with mine and it makes for a nice setup.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:12 PM
Bill40718
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (25)
Thumbs up A worthwhile Cowan modification

Here is a photo of my Cowan rest with a roller bearing top that replaces the existing bag supplied with the Cowan rest. No modifications are required, just loosen the screws, insert the unit and tighten the screws.
This modification is for stocks with a fore end 3" wide.

IMG_0308.JPG

I also use a fore arm plate with grooves that match the bearings on the rest. This makes for very reliable tracking.

You can contact "aslap" here on RFC if you are interested in the roller bearing top or the plate for the rifle.

Last edited by Bill40718; 06-11-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:46 PM
South_Pender

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I use this Greenlaw front rest top, which screws into my Bald Eagle front rest:

Last edited by South_Pender; 06-11-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:35 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
For the money it's hard to beat the Caldwell BR. there are better rests out there but cost a lot more.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:02 PM
oldshot50

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I have the Rock BR base with a D.R.Greenlaw windage adjustable top mounted on it. About $400 total invested, but we'll worth the $$$IMHO. IF not doing precision BR shooting, the Caldwell Rock BR is a good rest for the money--about $130/$150 on eBay. And, there is a sticky in the benchrest equipment page about some easy and inexpensive mods you can make to the Rock BR which really do improve it's use and performance.