Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Woodsman VS Targetsman, which to buy

9K views 46 replies 11 participants last post by  Billburrfan 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I have a question for you all. If you had an opportunity to buy a Colt Targetsman in excellent condition or an early 3rd series sport Woodsman with a large amount of wear in the bluing for roughly the same price, which would you choose?

My thinking is I already have a woodsman in the original box in "collector" condition and I am in the market for one that I can shoot often and not feel bad about it. So a woodsman with some wear is exactly what I am looking for. But I have never seen a targetsman and don't know how much they cut corners on it so I don't know if I should go with a rough Woodsman or a pristine Targetsman for virtually the same price? (Yes, I know buying both is an option but for the sake of argument I am curious which would you choose if you were only able to buy one or the other)

(edit: This is not a hypothetical, there is a very nice Targetsman for sale and a rough Woodsman for about the same price. Both are around 5 bills, maybe a little less) If I can swing it, I may purchase both. But if I don't which is the better deal?

#2 ·
I would go with the excellent condition Targetsman. The main difference is that the Targetsman is a target Huntsman which means it lacks the bolt lock feature of the Woodsman which, for me, on a .22 is not that big of a deal. If you plan to shoot it, you'll get more joy from something in really nice condition that doesn't need any work.

That being said, if you can swing both, do it.

#4 ·
My belief was always that the Huntsman line was an effort to create a Colt .22 with a lower price point. Add another .22 to the product line without much effort and drop some features found on Woodsmans to make it easier/cheaper to manufacture. If you already have a Colt .22 safe queen then buy the rough one. I have a 2nd series 4.5 inch MT that looks terrible and carried it hunting every year that I hunted. You didn’t mention bbl length or use, I like the shorter bbl on a Woodsman but everyone is different. Hope you get the pair. Good luck.

#5 ·
I once owned a Targetsman. My main complaint was they used a delicate cheaper version of adjustable rear sight. Actually one of my favorites of all the Colt Woodsman series pistols that I owned was a 4 inch bbl Huntsman. It had fixed sights but they were dead on and that little pistol would shoot. If you can swing buying both of those pistols, go for it! They are just very nice.:bthumb:

#6 ·
Both of my Huntsmans are dead nuts shooters, too. Even the 59 which was SUPER rough when I bought it. The bore was perfect, though and the gun had never been cleaned (which is OFTEN a good thing unless the gun is pre 1930, say) so I went for it. After rebuilding it....it was like it was a brand new gun. Shoots like it, too.

#7 ·
woodsman

Pick up the Targetsman and look at the sights to see how good or bad a sight picture you get. I shot a friend's Targetsman and the rear sight was small and didn't look sturdy to me. If using it as a range gun, it's okay with the 6" bbl. If it's woods gun, the 4" bbl sport might be handier to carry in a pouch/satchel/pack.

#8 ·
I just bought the Targetsman first. It was in such nice shape and we agreed on 450 with two magazines. I felt I could not pass it up. I may buy the 4” sport woodsman if the other seller is open to a little negotiating on it. I feel like $500 is a fair price but I kind of need a “deal” to justify buying both.

Attachments

#12 ·
Great move and a GORGEOUS pistol. I have a 6 Inch woodsman Target in the same shape....but you got a GREAT, GREAT deal.

I do hope you can buy that other Woodsman and give it some love. I seem to gravitate between basket cases and minty ones....and I love them ALLLLL.

The first gun I ever fired in my life was the exact pistol you have. That should tell you how much I think of them. :D

#16 ·
Very nice, they go well together. I only have one 3rd series, a 6 in MT, I paid way too much for it 30 years ago. Prefer the 1st and 2nd series but you certainly have a good pair to start your Woodsman collection with. My first was a ratty Prewoodsman with a cut up bbl that I found in a shop on the way home from a Myrtle Beach vacation. Now it sports a 2.5 inch. Great .22s.

#17 ·
Now about the sport model with considerable wear...

Thanks all, I am very happy with this purchase. I was surprised at how great the condition was on this Targetsman. When he told me he wanted 5 bills and said it was in great shape, I assumed there would be a little wear. But from what I can tell he rarely shot it, it looks like he rarely even took it out of his safe. Locally, it is not often I find a deal on any woodsman, huntsman, etc. Most pawn shops, gun stores and private parties want you to pay up for these (I understand, if I ever sell mine I'd be the same way).

This brings me to the sport woodsman. Although his price is not a steal, it is better than most around here. I am wondering if I should try to strike while the iron is hot or should I be content with what I have and wait for another "deal of the decade"?

If I can get a better deal, I would like to have a woodsman that has already rolled down the hill so to speak so when I go to the range with friends and family I can let them shoot a woodsman, but not carelessly handle my nice examples. I am a shooter first, but I am also a collector at heart so I would feel horrible if I was responsible for the ruining of yet another good example of a firearm they are never making more of.

Anyway, that was the original plan (get a beat up model for the kids/friends to abuse) but this Targetsman was just too good to pass up.

#18 ·
Have you seen the Woodsman? How "beat up" is it?

Have you ever worked on them...or can you?

There are a bunch of questions such as this you can ask yourself before you commit.

My criteria would be: How is the bore and the breech face? What parts are missing? (Ooh, and what Series is it? For instance, my interest is only in Series 3 guns but you may not care.)

If the bore and breech face are good and the trigger is nice and the mag was a proper Woodsman mag...I would go for it.

#19 ·
Desertmoon, I am told it is in great working condition. I have seen several pictures and everything looks original and correct, it just has some holster wear. It is enough holster wear to show bare metal in some spots and put it out of any consideration for collecting. I will see if I can provide a picture I got from the seller.

It is not just the holster wear though. I don't really "need" it now that I have a Targetsman I can use on a regular basis. So I need to justify the purchase only if I can get it for a screaming deal.

#21 ·
colt

If I was in your shoes I would pass on this one. I always buy the highest condition I can afford. You pay up front for high condition chances are you will get it on the back end and more and even enjoy and use it in the process.There are too many guns out there in the condition you pictured but ones like your Colt targetsman are fewer.

#24 · (Edited)
You guys think that’s rough, this is what my MT looks like and I bought it that way. The other side is a little better. Supposedly had coke or pepsi spilled on it which wrecked the blueing. But the important part is that it still shoots great. I installed the target grips as it helps me shoot it accurately but when I carried it hunting and hiking it wore the regular Colt grips. Thinking it was my first MT, gotta start your MT collection somewhere.

Attachments

#27 ·
My second model Woodsman Sport looks almost that bad and I bought it in 95% condition 40 years ago. It's still my favorite pistol. I own several holsters that fit it so it has wear in different spots all over the gun. I have a pre-Woodman that is worse than that with patches of pitting on the barrel exterior. I understand buying best condition guns, but these two pistols have given me more carefree enjoyment than just about anything else I can think of. Once I buy a gun, I rarely think of the money that left.

#28 ·
I will re-think my first posting. If the pistol is solid otherwise, some good cold blueing would probably make a huge difference, and there is always the possibility of a good re-blue job down the road. These are classic pistols and they don't show up every day. Just note the wear of the finish when talking with him and see where the conversation goes. Let us know what happens please.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.