Ruger charger for Steel Challenge? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-01-2019, 01:20 PM
beavis

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger charger for Steel Challenge?

I was looking through the rules for Steel Challenge and I am not seeing anything in the current rules that would exclude a Ruger Charger. Most of the rules state things like "any legal pistol" etc In the centerfire divisions, they do list specific dimensions that the handgun must fall under but the rules for rimfire pistol specifically state there are no maximum size restrictions and the Charger is legally classified as a pistol.

My question is has anyone actually done it? Was it allowed in a match? Were there any repurcussions or bad blood generated because of it from the other competitors?

I'm not sure that the Charger would necessarily offer any advantages in steel competition or traditional pistols and may in fact be a disadvantage,, but it seems like it would still be fun to shoot in a steel match.

Does anyone have any feedback or insight on using a Ruger Charger in Steel Challenge.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:36 PM
thudd3r
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
i can see an advantage with a pistol brace
Old 06-01-2019, 11:45 PM
beavis

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thudd3r View Post
i can see an advantage with a pistol brace
I'm sure any kind of brace or anything resembling a shoulder stock would be a no no.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:29 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Shooting a Charger in a steel challenge would liken into the same territory as shooting a single six/ten. Just a big disadvantage.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:58 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To me a single six has better balance.
I know someone that shoots steel with a Ruger Blackhawk and does fairly well.

The Ruger Charger is one of those guns I picked up once and the first thing that came to my mind was this thing needs a bi-pod.
When shooting steel if you are fighting the balance of the gun you are wasting time and steel is a time game.

Last edited by JHB51; 06-04-2019 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:29 PM
Nolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Braces and/or shouldering are not allowed by the rules.

I have seen Chargers and other long barreled (14" Volquartsen carbon fiber barrel) Buckmarks and Rugers shot very competitively in Rimfire Pistol Optics Steel Challenge.

Hold the Charger like a rifle, ie. C-clamp weak hand grip on the barrel with the optic at approximately the same distance from the eye as with a rifle. Basically just shoot it just like a rifle, but without a buttstock.

I've never seen any problems or 'bad blood' from any Steel Challenge competitor due to brand or type of equipment used, but that said, be ready for some good natured kidding about your choice of gun.

Nolan
Old 06-06-2019, 04:22 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHB51 View Post
I know someone that shoots steel with a Ruger Blackhawk and does fairly well.
Why would anyone want to shoot a steel challenge with a 6 shot single action? Unless just once for fun or on a bet or something? No doubt slower and you're afforded a single miss before a deathly slow reload.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:34 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cowboy shooter go figure. He is big into SASS. Besides you shouldn't need more than 6 shots. On the other hand when we have a stage with a mandatory reload he is as busy as a one armed paper hanger with a case of well you know.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:36 PM
beavis

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So I did enter the Charger in my first Steel Challenge match this past weekend and I WON!!

Well ok, the other guy that was registered to shoot rimfire optics in my age class didn't show up but the Charger got the job done.

And yes, it did raise a few eyebrows but by the end of the match people were commenting that it would be a fun gun to fling some lead with.