Kind of slow around here! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-15-2019, 05:42 AM
MacGhillemohr
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kind of slow around here!

I've noticed, that it has been a while since anyone has posted about their Appleseed experience, what's everyone doing?

A range that I am a member of, is in the process of installing Electronic target systems to accommodate NRA High Power competition and KDAQT's for Appleseed. I have been fortunate, to be part of their team to validate one of the systems installed. We have been holding practice High Power matches and KDAQT's, so far, it looks like it will work very well. It's really nice, to be able to look at a screen and see where each round impacted on the target!

By the way, I attended a shoot in Hot Springs, Arkansas as a shooter, for the 19 April 1775 Day annual Appleseed, things went very well. Good scores were shot, lot's of good fellowship with other Rifleman and good food was available too. The folks in Hot Springs, really know how to make you feel welcome! We even had a couple of men show up from Texas, with a black powder cannon!

Anyhow, this is just a small portion of what I have been doing lately, involving marksmanship and Appleseed.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:59 PM
rwadley
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
I'm going to a KD in Puryear, TN at the end of the month (as a student). I am usually an instructor, so I am looking forward to being a shooter at this event.

I am trying to work events in all of Tennessee's neighboring states, so I will try to make an Arkansas event in the near future (next year?). I look forward to meeting you.

Last edited by rwadley; 06-15-2019 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:28 PM
coloradokid
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
You guys are lucky. Western Colorado has zero Appleseed. 5 plus hours of travel and exorbitant range fees keeps me from competing. Hope to see here someday. Until then i practice with Appleseed targets and hunt with my open sight Appleseed 10/22.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:10 AM
MacGhillemohr
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwadley View Post
I'm going to a KD in Puryear, TN at the end of the month (as a student). I am usually an instructor, so I am looking forward to being a shooter at this event.

I am trying to work events in all of Tennessee's neighboring states, so I will try to make an Arkansas event in the near future (next year?). I look forward to meeting you.
We have a couple more Appleseeds coming up this year in Hot Springs, we will also try to get one scheduled for the VETS Shooting Center in Bald Knob, Arkansas as well. We have been holding shoots there, 2-3 times a year for the last nine years.

I imagine that Puryear is a great place to shoot, I would like to attend that KD coming up!
Old 06-16-2019, 06:27 AM
MacGhillemohr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradokid View Post
You guys are lucky. Western Colorado has zero Appleseed. 5 plus hours of travel and exorbitant range fees keeps me from competing. Hope to see here someday. Until then i practice with Appleseed targets and hunt with my open sight 10/22.
I remember, before the program actually got off of the ground, a friend of mine and I bought AQT's from Fred, when he sold targets and M14 stocks in Shotgun News. We already knew how to use the sling for shooting, so we had a lot of fun shooting for good scores and competing against each other! We were shooting M14 type rifles mainly and M1 Garand's. We later started shooting AR's too. This was when surplus ammo was still relatively inexpensive. When we attended our first Appleseed, we both were awarded our patches.

Anyhow, after this long winded reply, my point is to make what you can of it, there are some good videos available and manuals to study. Some manuals I can recommend are by Master Sergeant Jim Owens, he has quite a few books on line available. These will cover shooting fundamentals, the sling, reading wind, etc.
Don't be discouraged, I'm sure Appleseed will make it to your part of Colorado!
Old 06-17-2019, 09:47 AM
Fynn
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradokid View Post
You guys are lucky. Western Colorado has zero Appleseed. 5 plus hours of travel and exorbitant range fees keeps me from competing. Hope to see here someday. Until then i practice with Appleseed targets and hunt with my open sight Appleseed 10/22.
Wow, 5 hours to an AS event, now THAT is dedication.

On a side note for any newbies reading the threads, just a reminder that AS events are NOT competitions

For competing, try CMP Sporter Rimfire, HP, or Silhouette (gasp lol)
Old 06-17-2019, 01:21 PM
navybowhunter
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good thread, it has been kind of quiet lately!

6 weeks to the day for us till the National Matches at Camp Perry. By us, I mean myself and my 10 yr old daughter Shannon.

Shannon has started to place Expert scores across the course. She will likely earn her Expert card by the end of the year. Amazing when I contemplate what she has accomplished in only 6 months of competitive shooting!

She is also now a sponsored shooter. She is on Team Krieger! Krieger took the chance to sponsor her and is sending her a new barrel for her rifle! How cool is that?!?!

Next weekend we will be attending the CMP SAFS on the Road event at Fairfax, VA. SAFS is Small Arms Firing School, where a new competitor can earn 4 of the required 30 leg points in a SAFS match. She will be competing in that, and I will be one of the coaches.

One thing I am learning, is that my personal scores drop when we are squadded together in matches. Conversely, they RISE when we are on adjacent firing points. Sort of like teaching a wife how to drive...., it can be frustrating. So, it has messed with my mental game a bit, and I recognize that.

I will continue to be the coach at home in dry fire, but a new rule for us, is we split up for most matches.

Appleseed is still near and dear to our hearts however. Shannon still wants her Distinguished Appleseed patch, and a 250! Placing the scores she has lately in High Power pretty much guarantees she will earn her Distinguished patch at the next 25M AQT event we shoot, which will be after Nationals.

We do have one Appleseed event on the horizon before Nationals. In two weeks we will both shoot a 200 yard Rimfire KD event. She earned her Rifleman patch at that event last year, so it is special to both of us. We both plan to shoot perfect scores at that event.

Oh....we are also attending the 2019 CMP New England Games and Cup matches in Vermont the week of 16 Sep! That is going to be a LOT of fun. She shot the Eastern Games this year, and earned a few medals. We got her behind my Vintage Sniper rifle, a Springfield 1903A4 with a 2X scope. She shot the 30-06 a few weeks ago and was drilling the X and 10 ring in slow prone, so...Shannon will be my Vintage Sniper partner at the New England Games.

CMP had a writer contact us after the Eastern Games, Shannon and I were interviewed for 2 hours over the phone. I believe they are doing a feature article on us soon, I'll be sure to post that in here when it is released. We spoke very highly of our roots and how we got started in High Power rifle, the Appleseed Program! I look forward to seeing that article!

That is about it for us. Hope you are all holding hard and favoring Center!

R/
Chris
Old 06-18-2019, 09:37 AM
pblanc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I signed up to attend a two day known distance Appleseed event the last weekend of this month.

Time to clean my two ARs, decide on ammunition and function check the rifles with it, make sure the scopes are properly mounted and tightened, and get them zeroed it at 100 yards.

Hopefully, I will have a chance to take a few sighters at 200, 300, and 400 yards to see if the come-ups predicted by my ballistic calculator are accurate.