Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:53 AM
Mac-man
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Barrel Deresonator

Guys,

I recently bought a Limbsaver barrel deresonator. It promises to dampen barrel vibration waves and provide tighter groups. I'd like to share the results of my testing with the group. The device is made of soft rubber and looks like the end of a car shock absorber. It requires a little oil to slide it very snugly down the barrel. Picture below.

The object is to find the sweet spot that dampens the vibration by sliding it to different spots on the barrel. I mounted the deresonator on the barrel of my Anschütz 1413 Super Match. Using RWS R-50 I performed the following four shot groups at 50 yards.

I started on the upper left target (5) with a bare barrel for comparability. The next target to the right (10) I just laid my hand on the barrel hoping to deaden the vibrations. On target number (15) I forced a heavy rubber band between the free floating barrel and the fore end. All it did was displace the barrel up and to the left as you can see by the two shoots in the previous target frame (10). Next I mounted the devise 1/2 inch from the muzzle and shot (4) lower left, then at 1 inch on (9), then at 1-1/2 inchs on (14), 2 inches on (19), and finally 2-1/2 inches on (24). I repeated 4 more shots to the right of these to confirm the grouping.

As you can see there is definitely a tighter group at 2-1/2 inches. I stopped at this point thinking I could not do much better. My conclusion is that the deresonator was definitely a factor in the tighter grouping. I hate how it looks on the rifle but I think it looks better than a tuner so I will leave it there.

Yesterday I shot the following two targets to confirm the accuracy. These were at 25 yards and expectantly they were better than the 50 yard targets but I was happy with the results.

If you are interested in doing your own experimenting you can get the deresonators at:

https://limbsaver.com/collections/fi...arrel-dampener

Or Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/LimbSaver-Sha...82/ref=sr_1_1?

They come in two sizes and are only about $12.

Any comments?

Last edited by Mac-man; 06-19-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:03 AM
SourMash77

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not a shooter like you guys but those are some excellent looking targets to me.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:19 AM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I don't see the pictures, no links except for the resonator.

Edit: sorry just popped up.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:46 PM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (32)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-man View Post
Guys,

I recently bought a Limbsaver barrel deresonator. It promises to dampen barrel vibration waves and provide tighter groups. I'd like to share the results of my testing with the group. The device is made of soft rubber and looks like the end of a car shock absorber. It requires a little oil to slide it very snugly down the barrel. Picture below.

The object is to find the sweet spot that dampens the vibration by sliding it to different spots on the barrel. I mounted the deresonator on the barrel of my Anschütz 1413 Super Match. Using RWS R-50 I performed the following four shot groups at 50 yards.

I started on the upper left target (5) with a bare barrel for comparability. The next target to the right (10) I just laid my hand on the barrel hoping to deaden the vibrations. On target number (15) I forced a heavy rubber band between the free floating barrel and the fore end. All it did was displace the barrel up and to the left as you can see by the two shoots in the previous target frame (10). Next I mounted the devise 1/2 inch from the muzzle and shot (4) lower left, then at 1 inch on (9), then at 1-1/2 inchs on (14), 2 inches on (19), and finally 2-1/2 inches on (24). I repeated 4 more shots to the right of these to confirm the grouping.

As you can see there is definitely a tighter group at 2-1/2 inches. I stopped at this point not thinking I could do much better. My conclusion is that the deresonator was definitely a factor in the tighter grouping. I hate how it looks on the rifle but I think it looks better than a tuner so I will leave it there.

Yesterday I shot the following two targets to confirm the accuracy. These were at 25 yards and expectantly they would be better than the 50 yard targets but I was happy with the results.

If you are interested in doing your own experimenting you can get the deresonators at:

https://limbsaver.com/collections/fi...arrel-dampener

Or Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/LimbSaver-Sha...82/ref=sr_1_1?

They come in two sizes and are only about $12.

Any comments?
mac-man, another thing you can try is rubber grommets they work in the same manner. some guys also tried using shrink tubing to deaden the barrel

I never tried the shrink tubing, but the limbsaver and grommets I have and they work back in July 2012 M12 and 1613 Anschutz that was some fun times experimenting, have fun and enjoy
sorry I don't have the targets as photobucket has them hostage

Lee
Old 06-15-2019, 07:12 AM
Mac-man
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lee,

I like it. It looks like a ray gun.

Phil
Old 06-17-2019, 06:38 AM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (32)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-man View Post
Lee,

I like it. It looks like a ray gun.

Phil
Yeah, There was funny comments on how the rifles looked, unit they saw the targets.

same thing during my pre-tuner days of testing, I use to hang lead sinker weights off the barrels using nylon string, I remember another shooter making the comment, if I was fishing and again those comments went away after seeing the target.

Have fun experimenting and good luck!

Lee