Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-15-2019, 04:01 PM
TrxR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stock finish?

What finish would you all suggest for a Walnut stock? Also any prep and application tips would be appreciated .

Thanks
Old 07-15-2019, 05:47 PM
ek-marlin-424
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
You have options- in general the big three are a brushed on varnish (urethane) type, brushed on oil finish, and sprayed on lacquer. All three can work.

What are you going to be doing with the stock, how much woodworking experience do you have, and do you have an idea of how you want it to look?

Last edited by ek-marlin-424; 07-15-2019 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:10 PM
TrxR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ek-marlin-424 View Post
You have options- in general the big three are a brushed on varnish (urethane) type, brushed on oil finish, and sprayed on lacquer. All three can work.

What are you going to be doing with the stock, how much woodworking experience do you have, and do you have an idea of how you want it to look?
Its going to be a benchrest stock. My father is a cabinet maker so there is experience there just not with stocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2019, 07:47 PM
ek-marlin-424
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I'd probably go with a semi gloss lacquer finish then. Makes for a very hard finish that can still be repaired relatively easily. I prefer varnish/urethane if the stock is going to see field use but the BR environment is more forgiving.

Really important with a benchrest stock is making sure the tracking surfaces are all straight, flat, and true, plus that the inletting and bedding is all centered and level.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:54 PM
Oldblades
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrxR View Post
Its going to be a benchrest stock. My father is a cabinet maker so there is experience there just not with stocks.

In my experience you have 2 nods for lacquer already. Lacquer, while not the toughest, is the hardest finish of the 3 that EK mentioned. Thus it would be a solid choice in the bags for friction free movement.
Also, your father should be able to help with the application, both in knowledge and equipment which makes it the easiest to apply.

If your stock has a lot of figure though, I personally have come to prefer a oil based finish as a all around finish in looks/performance.....aka oil/varnish.

Fair warning........Given the myriad of choices, not to mention the billions of recipes on the net, the oil/varnish thing can turn into a real rabbit hole chasing the 'perfect' product that appeals to you and your expectations.

Bottom line, I'd go with Lacquer for BR.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:56 PM
Oldblades
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Thats why I dont post much anymore. EK always says what I'm typing before I post it anyway.