Olympia magazine - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-15-2020, 10:23 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Olympia magazine

I realize this subject has been address to some extent on my other Olympia thread. One can apparently adapt the 948 pistol magazine and there is also the availability of the Triple K 10 round magazine. However the cost and availability can be.....

Anyway, I was over on the Beretta Forum looking for some information on my A400s and found a thread about substitute magazines for the Olympia. A bit of a serendipity experience.

It seems several fellows have adapted the JM21 magazine for use in the Olympia by cutting the latch notch in the back and grinding a "smile" as they call it, in the top front of the magazine.

If indeed this is a viable option, it sure would be nice since the m JM21 magazines are around 1/2 the price of even the Triple K, plus being only 7 rounds, it would not be as obtrusive as the 10 round magazine. In fact, the little extra length might make removal a bit easier since in my rifle at least, it does not fall free and being flush requires a bit of manipulation to remove the magazine.

Has anyone here tried this option? If so, how did it work for you?
Old 05-16-2020, 12:13 PM
Bartlow

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have never tried adapting the magazine for the Beretta 21A pistol (in 22LR, obviously not a mag for the .25 ACP version) to the Olympia. As you say the mags for the 21A are available and relatively inexpensive. Plus there are very good mags for the 21A made by Mec-Gar, you don't even have to sacrifice a Beretta made mag for the experiment.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:22 PM
cuervo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just bought a 21A magazine to play with. It is thinner than the Olimpia magazine so may require a shim on one side to keep it straight, or at least keep it from wobbling when loaded. Pushing it in with the bolt back, the bolt won't close because the groove in the bolt does not line up with the side of the magazine. Pulling it down slightly and moving it a little to the side lets the bolt close.

With some dummy ammo, it does not seem that it is necessary to cut a groove at the bullet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 03:23 PM
JeffConrad
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Triple K

My Triple K mag didn't insert fully into the magazine well. It went in about 1.2" and then stuck. I was able to ease it in with a rubber mallet, but it required the same rubber mallet to extract. It scraped the finish at the front of the magazine so I'd guess that's where it's dragging. YMMV.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:57 PM
cuervo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I took my Olimpia out today. The rifle, the 5-rd magazine that came with it, and the 10-rd magazine I bought from Gunbroker all performed perfectly.

I tried the 21A magazine with a #6 washer glued to its right side to help position it. It still tilts to the left, but cutting in the notch for the magazine catch may help with that. If not, I will shim the left side as well. I had a #6 washer on that side as well but two washers were too wide to fit in the magazine well.

When the magazine is inserted, the front lip is above the feed ramp on the barrel. But, the 21A magazine can be loaded so that the bullets tilt up, and I was able to hold the magazine in place and the magazine fed reliably (mostly). Cutting a "smile" at the front of the magazine like the Olimpia magazines have help with reliability in that you wouldn't have to make sure the bullets were in the magazine nose-up.

Next step will be cutting the notch for the magazine stop, and I may go ahead and cut the front notch as well.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:28 AM
Bartlow

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo View Post
I took my Olimpia out today. The rifle, the 5-rd magazine that came with it, and the 10-rd magazine I bought from Gunbroker all performed perfectly.

I tried the 21A magazine with a #6 washer glued to its right side to help position it. It still tilts to the left, but cutting in the notch for the magazine catch may help with that. If not, I will shim the left side as well. I had a #6 washer on that side as well but two washers were too wide to fit in the magazine well.

When the magazine is inserted, the front lip is above the feed ramp on the barrel. But, the 21A magazine can be loaded so that the bullets tilt up, and I was able to hold the magazine in place and the magazine fed reliably (mostly). Cutting a "smile" at the front of the magazine like the Olimpia magazines have help with reliability in that you wouldn't have to make sure the bullets were in the magazine nose-up.

Next step will be cutting the notch for the magazine stop, and I may go ahead and cut the front notch as well.
If you are able to create something that works to your satisfaction please post some pictures of the mag. I for one would love to see what you do.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:50 PM
cuervo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The first picture is the washer on the side of the magazine.

I didn't take a picture of it, but just from inserting and using the magazine, the magazine catch made a line. That was my first cut point, which turned out to be a little low for the magazine to latch in the rifle. More on this shortly. This picture is showing the start of the cut too low and then the one above it.

If you look at the factory magazines, they have a little bit of a rounded area underneath the actual cut. If you look at the magazine latch in the rifle, you see that it has the flat surface that supports the magazine, but then a rounded surface underneath. As it worked out, my low cut became the rounded portion.

I raised my cut and it seems to be in the right place, using a cutting disk. Then I used a sanding drum to create the angled portion mentioned above. Overall, I cut deeper than I planned and went through the back of the magazine, but this does not seem to have affected anything. I did need to push debris by pushing the follower down and going in with a needle file.

I am going to try this before trying to cut a slot in front of the bullets. When loading this magazine, I found that if I pull the follower down and then let the bullets drop in, they will point up a little and feed okay.

But, they will easily nose down if you push on the top round, and then not feed.

I'll see how much of an issue this really is on my next outing, and then cut a feed notch if I need to.

PS. How do I remove the duplicate images below without deleting the attachments that I link above?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_5507.jpg (278.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Img_5508.jpg (267.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Img_5509.jpg (267.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Img_5512.jpg (289.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Img_5513.jpg (287.4 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by cuervo; 05-25-2020 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:06 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Well, after messing around with the JM21 magazine I have come to the conclusion that I have no confidence in this modification running reliably to my satisfaction. It was worth the cost to see if it would be a viable alternative to the high cost magazines that show up occasionally but I guess that is the way I will be going.

Last edited by roysha; Yesterday at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:15 PM
cuervo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Roysha,

Can you provide some description of what is happening with yours? Does it jam or does the bolt just move over the bullet without loading it into the chamber? Does it not seat correctly? etc...

Can you post a picture of each of your cutouts?
Old 05-26-2020, 12:46 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The entire problem can be described as "the position of the magazine is critical". If it is to one side or the other, if the bottom of the magazine is pushed for or aft it will sometimes override, sometimes jam, especially if tipped a bit to one side or the other. If the magazine is inserted too far or not far enough, and this is an extremely narrow window, it will either catch the bolt or override, often times denting the cartridge. Also it seems that the rim of the cartridge being fed into the chamber, wants to drag the next cartridge forward causing misalignment and a jam.

The cuts are virtually identical to what your photos show.

Quite simply, even if I could over come these issues, I still would never be comfortable with it I know, that is a stupid attitude but that is how my mind works and after 70+ years I doubt I'll change. If no one wants the magazine, it will go in the drawer with the rest of the "stuff" and when I'm gone someone else can deal with it.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:09 PM
cuervo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I tried hand cycling some dummy rounds and it seemed that the biggest issue was to be sure the top bullet is pointing up as my next-to-last picture shows.

This was much easier with limiting the load to 5 rounds. If the first round feeds okay, the rest do as well.

I still want to try live fire before cutting the front of the magazine. I might try putting a shim on the follower to help the rounds point up more before cutting.

It seems odd that this would just be an issue by using the 21A magazine in the Olimpia. It would seem that if the top bullet is level, it is going to hit the front of the magazine when pushed forward, regardless of the gun. It may be the 21A slide contacts the back of the bullet lower, pivoting it up as it pushes it forward.

Anybody with a 21A to verify this?
Old 05-27-2020, 10:00 AM
vinco
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysha View Post
Well, after messing around with the JM21 magazine I have come to the conclusion that I have no confidence in this modification running reliably to my satisfaction. It was worth the cost to see if it would be a viable alternative to the high cost magazines that show up occasionally but I guess that is the way I will be going.

Therefore, if anyone is interested in my magazine, it has the "smile" ground into the front and the notch cut into the back, (I doubt this would make it unusable in the intended pistol), I'll send it to the first person that wants it for $5.00 to cover the shipping, with the understanding that it is AS IS, WHERE IS.

PM me and we'll go from there.
I have a 21A and could use an extra mag. PM incoming.