MKII Conversion to Centerfire - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:17 PM
rick w.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

My MKII conversion, if one can call it that, is a 17 cal 10 twist Shilen #17 added. I chambered it in 17HM2 mainly because of extractor reasons, have to say it shoots ok. The bad part of the deal is that the 17HM2 stocks of ammo is getting down a ways, and have not seen any on a shelf for a few years now.

So perhaps time to move on to a new 17 rimfire, a HMR or a WSM..........or just bite the bullet and go up to a hornet type wildcat. The centerfire will take some dedication as the firing pin will have to be moved to my notion. Some measurements will probably be in order for the two larger rimfires, not sure how friendly the primer groove is in the HMR or WSM yet, sectioning on will tell all I reckon.

Tis good to hear that the OKC based international extractor is nice quality, at least there is one to be had for new adventures. Fond memories of Mashburn's shop downtown when I was just out of college.

Then there is the modern scope mounting jazz. Perhaps a cantilever type off the barrel or just drill and tap the receiver fore/aft of the breechblock. Surely a lot of things to ponder in this semi-custom.

As one says, a labor of love surely.

Last edited by rick w.; 01-31-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:03 PM
Onearm
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick w. View Post
My MKII conversion, if one can call it that, is a 17 cal 10 twist Shilen #17 added. I chambered it in 17HM2 mainly because of extractor reasons, have to say it shoots ok. The bad part of the deal is that the 17HM2 stocks of ammo is getting down a ways, and have not seen any on a shelf for a few years now.

So perhaps time to move on to a new 17 rimfire, a HMR or a WSM..........or just bite the bullet and go up to a hornet type wildcat. The centerfire will take some dedication as the firing pin will have to be moved to my notion. Some measurements will probably be in order for the two larger rimfires, not sure how friendly the primer groove is in the HMR or WSM yet, sectioning on will tell all I reckon.

Then there is the modern scope mounting jazz. Perhaps a cantilever type off the barrel or just drill and tap the receiver fore/aft of the breechblock. Surely a lot of things to ponder in this semi-custom.

As one says, a labor of love surely.
Probably the simplest conversion would be to 17 HMR. I would think you just need to re-bore the chamber to fit the cartridge and (possibly) replace the extractor. I am not sure about the loading ramp.

As long as your barrel is drilled and tapped for scope bases, there is no need to drill and tap your receiver. Brownells sells an 11mm mount that can be drilled to fit the hole spacing on the barrel. With it, you can mount a scope like this Weaver T-36:

Old 05-09-2020, 09:43 AM
lion
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Reviving an old thread. Just finished converting a MKIII to 22 Hornet. I had to change to a centerfire barrel first. Then the fun started. Made a breechblock in centerfire and made a new ejector. So far it looks promising with a friends handloads.

I had to machine the barrel to match the ejector. So far I've had no problems. Wayne
Old 05-09-2020, 09:53 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Wayne
Very nice work. That took some serious skills. Not a simple task...
Glen H
Old 05-09-2020, 03:12 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks great Wayne. Even economical to shoot if casting bullets. Sad when you have to spend .08 for a primer and a gas check.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:06 AM
kiwishooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is some nice work Wayne.

I had a MkII that had been converted to 22 Hornet, it used the original rimfire barrel, it shot Ok but whoever did the centrefire conversion made the firing pin just a bit large and it cratered primers.

I have also seen a MkII converted to centrefire and a 17 cal barrel chambered in 17 MkIV fitted to it, I had the drawings for the extractor somewhere, but can't find them now.