Handgun training. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-15-2021, 01:02 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Handgun training.

I'm going to the range tomorrow, to practice with my SD handguns. Been spending too much time shooting long guns lately but they're not likely to be the guns I'd use to defend myself. Been many years since I've had formal handgun training. Need to take another class or three.

This guy has obviously taken his training seriously...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1GgIyfHQ5Q
Old 06-15-2021, 07:20 AM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Here's another one you may remember Vee. Sgt. Adam Johnson, Austin PD 2014. Middle of the night coming off mounted patrol with his partner and they find a madman shooting at the police admin building.

100yards plus in the dark while Johnson was holding the reins of two horses. One shot with his free hand braced on a pillar with his S&W M&P 9mm service pistol. Hit the perp in the chest, done and dead. Now that's some shooting!

https://bja.ojp.gov/program/badgeofb...4/adam-johnson

I love a happy ending!

Frank
Old 06-15-2021, 07:25 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
Practice, practice, practice...rifle shooting to a point is a durable skill, handguns for me at least require fairly frequent exercising. Some fine shooting above.
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2021, 08:42 AM
vet6771
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
Here's another one you may remember Vee. Sgt. Adam Johnson, Austin PD 2014. Middle of the night coming off mounted patrol with his partner and they find a madman shooting at the police admin building.

100yards plus in the dark while Johnson was holding the reins of two horses. One shot with his free hand braced on a pillar with his S&W M&P 9mm service pistol. Hit the perp in the chest, done and dead. Now that's some shooting!

https://bja.ojp.gov/program/badgeofb...4/adam-johnson

I love a happy ending!

Frank
Now that is what I call some mighty fine shooting! We've all heard the quote "God is my co-pilot." In this case it seems like "God is my spotter" seems appropriate for a 9mm pistol shot at over 100 yards that takes the perp down and permanently out!
Old 06-15-2021, 08:51 AM
MKnarr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Handgun shooting is definitely a perishable skill. On a good year I will go through 1500 to 2000 rounds and I take structured training about every three years. It's easy to fall into a bad habit that only a trained eye will catch. I also find it a good idea to train with different handguns you might have to use. I carry both a S&W M&P in 40 cal and a STI 2011 in a 40 and train with both. I also keep on my night stand a Taurus PT24/7 Pro in a 40 with a Streamlight light. Recently after years, I trained with the Taurus and found out the reset on the trigger is a lot longer that the M&P and the STI. Several times I tried to pull the trigger only to find I didn't release it far enough to reset.

BTW, I have to feed four 40 calibers and so I have a Dillon Square Deal B press and can load a 100 rounds in about 9 minutes.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:58 AM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
And in the "How not to do it" corner there's the 2012 NYPD Empire State Building shooting where 2 officers fired 16 rounds, hit the perp 10 times, and managed to wound 9 bystanders with pass throughs and ricochets...ouch!!

https://abcnews.go.com/US/empire-sta...ry?id=17078377

Training is good and for us average shots avoiding the confrontation in the first place is even better!

Frank
Old 06-18-2021, 01:01 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, I still got it. A little anyways.

My range doesn't allow drawing and firing from holstered (apart from LEOs) unless it's part of one of their classes, so I'll be signing up for one soon. Cheap insurance, methinks.