DEER HUNTERS WITH PRB? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-21-2021, 12:46 PM
Hanshi
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
DEER HUNTERS WITH PRB?

I've been hunting deer (and other game) with muzzleloaders and modern guns for at least 55 years and hunting everything with flintlocks exclusively for 16 years. My success has been excellent and I hunt ALL seasons and rifle season with them. Ever since I fired my very first black powder load I've used absolutely nothing but patched round ball (prb). I also cast everything I fire. I've taken more than one deer at over 100 yards; though the average is closer to 30 yards. In all those stretched 7 decades since the 1960s I've never had to fire a second shot to drop game. Mostly I've used a couple of .45s but also took plenty with .50, .54, .58 and .62.

Inline rifles and conical bullets in sidelocks do predominate. I have friends who hunt with prb & flintlocks as I do, but we appear to be in the minority. I'm curious as to how others feel about using the more traditional prb. I know from much experience that prb are awesome in the field.

Old 07-21-2021, 01:00 PM
TripleC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have shot PBR since 1971. Taken large and small game. 2F or 3F GOEX in a .54 Santa Fe Hawken. Cast my own .520 round balls. No follow up shots needed.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:21 PM
wmrike

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
In-lines, scopes, and fake powder ain't muzzleloading. 'Nuf said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2021, 01:20 PM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmrike View Post
There are both traditional and modern muzzel loading firearms. Both load from the front (muzzel) and it is up to the shooter to choose which he wants to use.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:48 PM
Fiddleharp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Although I've experimented with different bullet types, I found my best accuracy with a PRB pushed by 70 grains of black powder. That's what my Lyman Deerstalker seems to like, so I've stuck with it. Unfortunately, I've given up on Florida's muzzleloading season. I hunt public land and never see a legal buck during daylight hours during hunting season. Florida has severe legal antler restrictions, so what might have been a legal buck years ago is a no-no now.
So nowadays I only hunt archery season and try to take the first yearling doe that passes under my stand. Put venison in the freezer and call it a season.

Last edited by Fiddleharp; 07-23-2021 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:08 PM
bugeye
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmrike View Post
I agree. I think that if there is a primitive deer season, the the weapons should be indeed primitive.
Flintlocks, longbows, and recurves.*******
I shot BP for many years (killed a forkhorn in 1991) and my sidelocks were 100% reliable. They were closer to modern cartridge rifles than flinters.

So yes, I'd limit primitive weapons seasons to the three weapons with the asterisks above.