Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:38 PM
92lowrider
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Hurray ammo is here

Well my test lots of Eley black box arrived, I ordered 10 lots of the latest shippment as soon as Dan Killough had them on line. Lucky for me it was a good day for testing, some calm, some switching wind but no big gusts. Kind of cold for my 17 twist but got to test when the ammo comes cause you snooze you loose. After group testing, 4 of the 10 lots looked good and two of those looked real good, so full target test with those four lots confirmed I need some of those two killer lots. Off to the computer to order as much of that as I can afford!
depression sets in, all 4 lots that showed promise, SOLD OUT
Well maybe next shipment
Old 04-29-2016, 11:27 PM
mageepeak
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
help

Would you mind sharing your lot testing protocol?? Thanks.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:13 AM
drknite

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I know you're pain. I pre ordered some of everything off #2 machine that Killoughs received. Arrived Thursday night. Tested Fri. morning. Went to order a bunch that shot best. You know it. Already sold out. Can't figure out how anyone got theirs and tested much faster than I did. Just shows what I am beginning to learn about the never ending ammo chase involved in rimfire benchrest shooting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2016, 07:33 AM
Midnitehound

Appalachian Mts. in a deep dark hollow between a rock and a hard place!
TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
That Ammo was here,tested,sorted and good lots sold long before you were made aware of it! Good ole boys network.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:20 AM
bob finger

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
More apt is the phrase "if you snooze you lose". The chase for ammo is as competitive as are the games we play.

Where you live is more important than most people realize. Transit time for those test lots to get to you is out of your control. Those of us who live a 3 or 5 day UPS truck away from Zanders are at a distinct disadvantage.

You are on the pre order list for lots to test are you not? That is the good ole boy part, but it is not restrictive. You too can join if you wish.

The competitive guys work within the system to maximize their ability to find killer ammo. The rest of us live with it as best we can. bob
Old 04-30-2016, 09:43 AM
2500X

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknite View Post
I know you're pain. I pre ordered some of everything off #2 machine that Killoughs received. Arrived Thursday night. Tested Fri. morning. Went to order a bunch that shot best. You know it. Already sold out. Can't figure out how anyone got theirs and tested much faster than I did. Just shows what I am beginning to learn about the never ending ammo chase involved in rimfire benchrest shooting.
This is the worst part of rimfire BR. You can get a good rifle and other equipment, practice and learn to dope the wind, but if you are not lucky or fast enough in the ammo chase game, you will not be successful. Some shooters/gunsmiths do get ammo to test before others (it's a fact) and the word gets out before it's even available to the avg., sucking hind teat, shooter. This is the part of the game I miss the least. I have purchased some good lots of ammo blind and sometimes that is what it takes to even have a chance. But I've also got burned and who wants to spend $1,500 on a pig in a poke?
Old 04-30-2016, 11:13 AM
Midnitehound

Appalachian Mts. in a deep dark hollow between a rock and a hard place!
TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Hunger (ammo) games!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob finger View Post
More apt is the phrase "if you snooze you lose". The chase for ammo is as competitive as are the games we play.

Where you live is more important than most people realize. Transit time for those test lots to get to you is out of your control. Those of us who live a 3 or 5 day UPS truck away from Zanders are at a distinct disadvantage.

You are on the pre order list for lots to test are you not? That is the good ole boy part, but it is not restrictive. You too can join if you wish.

The competitive guys work within the system to maximize their ability to find killer ammo. The rest of us live with it as best we can. bob
LOL. The competitive good ole boys work within their own created ammo
system which benefits them first. The rest of us get to pick, choose and fight over the left overs! Get used to it. Only makes it sweeter when you beat them at their own game! Don't worry there will be more GOB's on here denying it works this way! Just have fun shooting!
Old 04-30-2016, 11:58 AM
92lowrider

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mageepeak View Post
Would you mind sharing your lot testing protocol?? Thanks.
My testing is very simple, I ARA and the occasional PSL so I set my equipment up, clean gun, fire several foulers of known ammo. On a clean ARA target I will fire 2 five shot groups of my known ammo then start doing the same with test lots. If I have 10 test lots there will be 20 five shot groups to evaluate, of these groups there will be at least a few lots that warrant more testing. I then use the remainder of those lots to completely shoot an ARA target with as much concentration as I would in a match, I also shoot a target with my known ammo for comparison. Evaluation of the targets is not just score but I'm looking for how flat the ammo shoots as well as wild fliers and how reliable wind push was. If any of the ammo I test seems to be better the ammo I used as a base, I order as much as I can afford.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:09 PM
Pmoore
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Angry Ammo ?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnitehound View Post
That Ammo was here,tested,sorted and good lots sold long before you were made aware of it! Good ole boys network.
Midnitehoud - you got it!

Just look at the other sites that follow the shipments. Inside info is sent to distributors and smiths, so they know which lots to test first and some even pre order. So if you're lucky enough to get good test lots the chances of you being able to order what tests good are slim to none.

The average guy doesn't have a chance do too an uneven playing field.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:55 PM
Highdollar

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Send your gun to eley or Lapua and quit the chase. That don't mean you will get the killer ammo but hell it beats buying a brick to test and not even get to buy any. Get some decent ammo and show up and shoot. If the wind is blowing that killer ammo may not be any advantage. I may try Lapua tunnel next.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:31 PM
drknite

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I am beginning to think good old boys is exactly the term. The best ammo is going to distributors and gunsmith who in turn tell their favorite shooters which is the best. It gets bought before the average person ever has a chance. The rest we test and sometimes come up with something pretty good. If your really lucky you might find some left after you test and get to order. I have played just about every sport there is at one time or another. I have never seen a sport where the deck is stacked more against the beginner or average guy. After having said that and talking to a top shooter who confirmed that this is how it works, I am not giving up. I know that I have a rifle capable of being competitive. I just have to find the right ammo.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:20 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
drknite,

I just sent you an email give that guy a call

Lee
Old 04-30-2016, 10:22 PM
drknite

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Sorry Lee, I didn't get the message. I sent you my email.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:38 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Sent you an email. I don't know if you know about this source.

Good luck,
Lee
Old 04-30-2016, 11:11 PM
drknite

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Clint was already sold out of the lot I wanted before I ever got the list. If everyone gets the list at the same time that's almost impossible.