Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:05 AM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bore guide & cleaning rods

I imagine this has been discussed to death, but; seems often as some off topic piece of another thread. I like to do more than pull a bore snake. The snakes have a bad rep for scouring the bore with abrasive residue. And finding the right patch & jag is tricky proposition for small bore. I cut mine. Perhaps need the precut specifically for 22 for a certain brand jag.

I have a smaller bore guide, and it almost fits my 527. It will need a little trimming but not close for the 453. I need a good cleaning solution for the 453 and hope that can carry over to my centerfire 22s.

FWIW, I have been carefully pulling a 17 rod. Pulling not pushing for fear the rod will flex. My .30 on up rod is very stiff and in a guide works very well. The 22 stuff scares me. Now, the snake also has me worried.

Price is no object, within reason. I need or want to be able to remove fouling of lead or copper. Rim fire and center fire in action size range of 453 to 527.

Suggestions, comments?
Old 09-16-2015, 10:21 AM
Ernie_DeBord

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
On a 22 rimfire,I use "Patchworm" for the entire length,use a short pistol rod and brush for the chamber, seems to work very well and don't see how you could possibly hurt the bore. On Centerfire I use boreguide and a coated "Dewey" myself. I just am as careful and slow as I can be, as to solvents.................it never ends lol, regards Ernie

P.S., I have NEVER and wont use a "bore snake" , I know lots do but I sure dont
Old 09-16-2015, 10:24 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is there a particular model bore guide that will work for 452/453 and hopefully small center fire like 527 and maybe other mini mauser's like sako or eastern europe (the other cz)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2015, 10:45 AM
CB900F
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fourbore;

I use Dewey's rods & have never had a problem with one of the .22 rods fitting the bore of a CZ. I know for sure that the bore of my fullstock is tight because the gunsmith who cut the barrel complained mightily about having to buy the rather expensive undersize pilots to properly crown the new muzzle. For some applications I'll use the Dewey jag & others I can use an adapter & somebody else's jag. Most of the time it's the Southern Bloomer Co. .22 patches, item # 118 that get shoved through. However, I'll also use the Brownell's #1 7/8" small round part # 084-268-001 upon rare occasion. I clean from chamber to muzzle and don't bother with a bore guide.

900F
Old 09-16-2015, 11:01 AM
stockranger

TPC Rating: 
67% (1)
I just switched to the patchworm for the rimfire guns. It is sooo much easier and seems adequate. Think I will use it on the centerfire too for most cleaning, I will still use the rod to brush it every once in a while.

Unless you dropped the bore snake in the dirt I wouldn't be worried about it. You are concerned about the lead and copper in the barrel being pulled through again with the bore snake? Then you are going to force more lead and copper down the bore faster than the speed of sound? Just wash it often.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:09 AM
aasbra

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Bore guide & cleaning rods

I use an MWerks bore guide intended for my 452 on the 453. It works well, but because the trigger design is different, I have found that I needed to manipulate the sear with a small punch or screwdriver to allow clearance to release the bore guide out of the action on the 453, whereas the 452 you simply pull the trigger to drop the sear down. This means having the barreled action out of the stock. Not a big deal, as I typically use a rod and guide only occasionally and pull a patch with the patchworm in between more serious cleanings. I use a 20 cal pro shot rod with this guide on my CZ .22lr models.

On the 527 models, I use bore guides from Mike Lucas for both the .223 and 7.62x39 models.

Both have worked well for me.

Last edited by aasbra; 09-16-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:17 AM
NiteQwill
US Army Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use the bore guides produced by Mike Lucas. Pro shot stainless guide rods for me (best prices I've seen are on Amazon). I threw away all my Dewey rods after having issues with them.

Well known in the BR community.

He is kind of old school. No website or anything.

Email him at [email protected]

Send him check/USPS MO and he usually produces batches once a month.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:33 AM
Fotheringill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mwerks bore guide specific to your rifle. I use and Ivy stainless steel rod for 22 caliber and the rod itself is .187 in diameter.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:43 AM
rippinryno

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've always just used the cheap aluminum hoppes bore rods you get in the orange clear plastic packs. I use a bore mop, then come through with the copper bristle brush, then come back with a bore mop. never had a problem.

If i'm feeling lazy i'll run a 22lr bore snake through it a few times, but haven't really found a need for anything fancy when cleaning any of my guns.

Is there anything to be concerned about with my methods?
Old 09-16-2015, 04:12 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I put two patchworms and a 22 pro-shot rod in my amazon cart. That is 36" long and will get me back in business. I assume the pro-shot uses the same tips and jags as 90% of the world. I may get a Lyman 17-416 universal guide just out of curiosity and that may leave me with a spare guide that I can modify. Probably take another day in case there maybe some little stuff that can add on with free shipping now that my order over $35. Maybe a 20cal jag. No 20's in any of my assortment packs. Some adapter maybe needed.

I made note of guides mentioned. That is some good advise for me to research more.

I see Cabelas has 20 caliber Dewey rods. What is the issue with Dewey?
Old 09-16-2015, 04:25 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
...What is the issue with Dewey?
I bought a Dewey 22 cal coated rod, 36" long, before I really researched it. It wont go through my CZs. I called Dewey about it and they said that the bores on CZs were too tight for their coated rods and recomended I get a 20 cal rod.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:32 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I thinking a Dewey 20 with a 20 jag (and 17 or 20 brush). Not instead of a Pro-shot but just a what-the-heck purchase. Perhaps added flexibility with patches from the front pulling through.

Ernie, You also had a problem with Dewey? The coating?

Instead of coated Dewey, I see a Tipton carbon fiber 17 rod available. Has the desired 36" length. That would provide an option for carefully pulling the rod threw. I can wrap a patch over a brush and it seems fairly forgiving with the patch.

Last edited by fourbore; 09-16-2015 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:24 PM
sako

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use a Tipton .20 cal rod. Rarely clean the barrel on my Brno Model 1 though as it doesn't need it.

Found the Boretech Rimfire Blend pretty good when I do clean my rimfire bores.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:01 PM
22Zip
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bore Guides

Get yourself a Lucas Bore Guide and either a Dewey cleaning rod or a Ivy rod and be done with it.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:14 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
I have Mwerks, Lucas, and Possum Hollow guides. I use a Pro-Shot 20 cal steel rod and clean the bore with only a wet patch and dry patches until precision falls off.

I use Patchworm and bore snakes, too. My bore snakes get washed after 8-10 passes through a bore.

Cleaning as gently as possible and only enough to keep pitting from happening should keep me from ruining my bores by over scrubbing them.

I could be more careful if I wanted to, and each person needs to judge what they think is appropriate caution.