What is the RIGHT 22 caliber handgun???? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:12 PM
Bob & Wife

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What is the RIGHT 22 caliber handgun????

Bob & Wife Here! I've got a 22/45 Mark III with a slab barrel and fixed sights. It is way off in the sighting, but that is not what I've come here for. I having one 22 want another so I don't have to share with my wife. I want a reliable pistol or revolver of 22 caliber that WE can both have fun with at the range without spending an arm and a leg on ammo, as I presently do for my glock 23 ( 40 caliber). I want something that will be firing accurately and not fussy about the 22lr ammo I put in it. I am sure that the ammo will only be winchester, federal, or remington 22lr as I have had problems with jamming from odd ball cheap ammo. My lesson was use good ammo from brand names and 22lr ammo is even cheap enough with using brands that you trust. My glock has a 3.5 pound pull and what ever handgun I get I would like the trigger pull to be 'at least' able to be changed to a 4 or 5 pound pull without costing me too too much as I am retired. Any ideas out there for our second handgun would be appreciated. I am new at shooting and my wife will be going down to take the course on Sunday to get her LTC. Thanks,Bob
Old 10-13-2010, 04:23 PM
JEE
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (67)
Besides the Ruger being off initially... how do you like it so far?... you could always get a shorter barreled one of those.

I have a few MKII's that I like a lot.

I also have a few Single Six revolvers that I'm quite fond of as well. Some folks don't have the patience for loading them, but I like 'em.

Another revolver that I like, but may be a little more than you'd want to spend is a Smith & Wesson 617... or an older model 17 or 18 in good used condition would be worth considering.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:28 PM
nwcid
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I dont know what the going price is but how about a conversion kit for your Glock? That way you can train cheaply with the same gun you carry.

Here is a link, http://www.topglock.com/category/163...onversion.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Steve in IN

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Since you're open to a pistol or revolver, you'll get a gazillion opinions.
I only have one .22 handgun, so I'll tell you what I bought--S&W 17-4.
So, like JEE said, any 17 or 18. They made lots of them, so they're not overpriced like the rarer Colt Diamondback. If you're patient, you can find one that's not beat up.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:47 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
The most reliable will be a revolver. The most accurate for the price will be a pistol. I would try a BuckMark since you already have a Ruger. Get one with a rail so that you can use a red dot sight.
If you want a revolver, I suggest what others have already mentioned, a used S&W model 17 or 18.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:16 PM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Ruger Mk II or Browning Buckmark.

Heck, get a matched pair of Buckmarks, and that way you can share mags.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Simi-audamadik
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
I too would...

suggest a conversion kit for your Glock 23. I have the Advantage Arms conversion for my G23 and LOVE IT! It is the only Glock .22lr conversion kit, to the best of my knowledge, that locks the slide open after the last shot; just as the 23 would do with .40 ammo. As nwcid said, good for training with the "same" weapon you carry, but a lot cheaper.

I've got a Bearcat that I really like and it is suprisingly accurate for its size.

Got a Walther P22 that is nice and is already threaded in case you get into the suppressor thing.

My favorite is my 30 year old Ruger 5.5 bbl MKII. LOVE IT best of all! Very accurate and a hoot to shoot!

Later!

Simi
Old 10-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Strm27m
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'll second the conversion kit. I think the Advantage Arms kits are going for around $250-300.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:43 PM
jbbooks
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
ruger single-six rocks!
Old 10-13-2010, 10:54 PM
frog5215

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
AA Glock kit and FIX THE RUGER!
Brass punch, small hammer, file, voila!
Old 10-13-2010, 11:26 PM
haertig

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Heritage Rough Rider, or if your wealthier, Ruger Single Six
Old 10-14-2010, 02:54 AM
King Ghidora

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My friend has a MkII with a 12" bull barrel and that's the best shooting handgun I ever picked up. Single Six's are good ane the S&W's mention. High Standard also made a decent revolver. But the semi-autos will be the most accurate generally. I'll second the Ruger or the Buckmark as first choices with a Smith right there too.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:16 AM
hillbillycycles

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Hard to say what is "right" for you, but I have owned a Ruger MkII 22/45 and a Browning Challenger I for quite a while. Purchased a S&W 17-6 just over a year ago and it has become the family favorite. My wife, son, and daughter all love shooting it.

The only problem is they seem to be somewhat addictive. I am now turning over in my mind trying to get another K frame in .22lr.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:48 AM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Too bad your Mark III sights are off. I'd recommend a good Ruger Mark II standard with a 6" barrel, but the Buckmark is a solid option, and the S&W revolvers are great guns. I also love the Single Six -- SA revolvers are just cool.

to the rimfire madness.

Lots of great ammo made by Eley, Wolf, Lapua -- American rimfire ammos are not the cream of the crop. CCI and the expensive Federal ammo is good, and if you can find Winchester Subsonic Hollowpoints, buy all of them.

Try some CCI Subsonic hollowpoints in your Ruger, it's a good ammo that is readily available and not too expensive.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:09 AM
Shaky

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
S&W 617 tops my list