Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:13 PM
204dude

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Leatherman is Junk

Hello All,

I sent my Wave in to be repaired. The wire cutters had indentations in them from lots of use.

Today I got a "new style" Leatherman Wave. I thought cool. When my girlfriend came home I said look at this. I showed her the scissors and when I closed the tool the handle on the scissors snapped.

Upon closer inspection it looks like cast or metal injected metal. I could not believe it. I boxed it up and sent it back. I will not buy another one. It is a shame when a formerly quality tool is made cheap.

Just thought someone might like to know this.

Thanks for reading.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:44 PM
JR47
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So, ONE failure out of how many thousands makes a product "junk"? How about you see if they stand by the tool before deciding what denotes junk?
Old 09-24-2008, 01:05 PM
redjeepgirl
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to redjeepgirl
If your cutting wire that much, you might want to get say, some wire cutters? Its a multitool, used for many purposes but not a replacement for all your tool needs. Mine has been really durable, that company has a reputation to protect so I suspect its just a fluke. Give them a chance or ask them for another old style one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2008, 01:14 PM
JetGirl

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I bought two Leathermans a few Christmas times back. One for my dad and one for my brother. My brother uses his just about every day for some little task or other in his job working on big equipment. It gets a decent workout, but he's never had a problem with it.
My dad, on the other hand, beats the crap out of that Leatherman every day. He actually ran over it while grading a road. Some little springy deal broke and Leatherman fixed it...even though it was HIS FAULT.
I'm with RJG...give them a chance to make it right. They really work at keeping their reputation intact for word of mouth referrals.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:34 AM
Whistler
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gerber's lost a lot

I agree partially with 204***. I bought a Gerber knife in the early 80's and it was without a doubt the best knife I ever owned. Lost it while visiting in another state or I would still be looking for that knife. I bought a replacement Gerber the same size and style as the one I lost and it was without a doubt the worst knife I've ever owned. I thought that anyone can have a bad "one" occassionally. I heard rumors about Gerber being bought out and had new owners. Was this the results of new ownership or was this why the company was sold? My wife purchased another Gerber for me as a gift. It was one of those 1 bladed knifes that look a lot like a Buck 110. A pretty knife for sure and I still have it because I still have my wife! When I got it the blade wobbled somethig awful, I mean side to side movement of this knife was unbelievable for any knife let alone a new knife. The wood fit to the brass bolsters were very poor and general workmanship was poor. I tried another Gerber product a few yrs later because I liked the concept for hunting. The small folding saw with changable blades. I used it once to clear some small branches away and it broke. I called Gerber, left a message they returned my call and said you would have to talk with customer service? I then left them a message and I was never called again. I did call them and let them know of my problems and also let them know of their product line being not what it should be. I also visited the booth at the NRA convention just to let them know. I believe if you had an older Gerber knife you have or had a good one. Now there is nothing special about saying "I have a Gerber"
Old 10-02-2008, 07:59 AM
RWAL

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have 3 waves, 2 old and 1 new. I like the old ones better because the smaller screwdriver blade is more useful to me than the small blade in the new wave.
I have one with me at all times and use it several times a day. Only one broken blade stop in all these years and it was fixed free. Great product.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:28 AM
vic2367

TPC Rating: 
50% (0)
Send a message via AIM to vic2367 Send a message via Yahoo to vic2367
i carry the vic spirit,,love it
btw leatherman is anti-gun..
wouldnt support him or his company
Old 10-03-2008, 08:42 AM
Whistler
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic2367 View Post
btw leatherman is anti-gun.. wouldnt support him or his company
Isn't Leatherman a Gerber product?
Old 10-03-2008, 10:31 AM
JR47
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I can find no reference to Gerber owning any part of Leatherman tools. Gerber was bought by Fiskars some years ago.

The largest apparent problem with Gerber is that some of their lines are now manufactured in China. Not all of them, but some.

I can find no reference to Leatherman being anti-gun, but I only made a cursory search. Perhaps a link to that?

Has the OP given Leatherman a chance to respond to his problem?
Old 10-04-2008, 04:24 PM
vic2367

TPC Rating: 
50% (0)
Send a message via AIM to vic2367 Send a message via Yahoo to vic2367
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=98675
Old 10-04-2008, 04:42 PM
Bobitis

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good thing none of us shop at Mao-Mart.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:00 AM
GunHugger

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
Isn't Leatherman a Gerber product?
Leatheman, Gerber two different companies as far as I know. But today how can you keep track of who owns who?

I have owned a Leatherman Wave since 1999 and it has been used alot with no problems. The wire cutter has worn a bit from me cutting things it wasn't designed to cut.

Since I purchased the Wave I became aware of the owners love of the liberal so this is my last Laetherman.

Last edited by GunHugger; 10-05-2008 at 05:06 AM.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:46 AM
Gizmo42
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
btw leatherman is anti-gun..
Quote:
...My position is, assuming you are a law abiding citizen and own
weapons that are legal to own, that no one should be able to take your
guns away from you. I own a rifle and shotgun myself.

...Just because I said I was going to vote for Kerry didn't mean that I
supported every position Kerry took.
Not sure how you got anti gun out of that. There's no way I would have ever voted for kerry but not just because of that issue, I disagree with him on most stuff. I've never voted for anyone that I agree with 100%. The best you can hope for is that one of the 2 parties nominates someone that you can agree with on most things, and will do the most good (or least damage) for the country.

Btw, leatherman and gerber have nothing to do with each other except for being competitors.

I use my leatherman wave numerous times every day with no problems. Its a great product and I would buy another one regardless of his political views.

Last edited by Gizmo42; 10-05-2008 at 05:49 AM.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:03 PM
sixgunsamori

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to sixgunsamori
I had correspondence with Tim Leatherman on this issue at the time; He, along with Columbia Outerwear, held a Kerry rally on company property and used the name of his business and his employees as props. Had the endorsement been his alone, it wouldn't have rankled me.
When asked for clarity on the issue, and asked why I should financially support a sporting goods manufacturer (and I include Columbia in this category) who favors the candidate of gun control and limiting access to public lands by private individuals Mr. Leatherman accused me of being an "operative" and told me (like a loyal Demokrat Apparatchik) he would be turning my name over to the election authorities for investigation.
I did not threaten Mr. Leatherman, but I will never own anything manufactured by his company.
I have 4 Gerber tools, and am happy with them. In the only instance where one of them was damaged Gerber was lightning fast to respond.I collect Kershaws and Case knives. No leatherman for me. Ever.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:21 PM
geminidglocker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had a Leatherman Wave that I bought in Iraq but apparently someone liked it more than I did.I was embarrassed that someone in my unit would do such a thing.You'de think us Army folk would be more respectful but there's always one %%%%%H&%$ in every bunch.Nobody ever stole my Gerber but it suffered badly through the course of 15 months.Battery acid,broken blades,broken file.broken screwdriver.I just went and got it and the only things still in it are the broken file,flat head drivers,pliers.bottle openers.I still love this tool because it was always with me on the greatest adventure of my life.I may be sentimental but I think I will purchase another Gerber.This ones gonna live out the rest of it's life on the book shelf.I'm attached to it.I'm sure if I sent it to Gerber they would replace it.Before 9-11 I was a Sporting Goods Dept. Mgr. in a hardware store and in my deaalings with Gerber They regularly replaced products for customers.