Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:06 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
67% (1)
Rear Bag Placement

Will changing the position of the stock on the rear bag change POI?. I had to slide the bag farther back on the stock (sporter) to lower my POA, because I ran out of adjustment on my joy stick rest. The bottom targets on the card were awful.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:35 PM
drknite

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I am fairly new to the benchrest game but I have noticed I need to keep the rifle as close as possible to the same position on the rear rest. If I move it very much and do not return back in position the point of impact varies. By returning the rifle back against the stop I can insure the rear stock is as close as possible to where it needs to be on the rear rest. Alignment of rear bag to front rest is critical.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:47 PM
swo1
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elohssa63 View Post
Will changing the position of the stock on the rear bag change POI?. I had to slide the bag farther back on the stock (sporter) to lower my POA, because I ran out of adjustment on my joy stick rest. The bottom targets on the card were awful.
Yes it will. On a rear stock that is slanted (mine is) you change the level of the gun. Granted it does change a little as you track up and down but sliding it around in the rear bag is a lot bigger change. Also moving the rear bag gets the gun out of allignment with the front rest causing it to yaw left and right. Before I start shooting the first card I check tracking to insure I have enough UP/down and left/right. I do this during warmup and practice. I also shoot the same card in practice/warmup that is shot in the match. I mark the position of the top right corner of the card to insure I hang them all in the same location. You also need a rear bag that dosnt move. Be careful if you use spacers under the bag to insure there is enough friction to prevent the rear from moving. I have a small box that sits flat and dosnt slide. I put the spacers and rear bag in the box. I use spacers as different ranges require to level the gun you have to use them, either that or have a specific bag for each range. Both my ranges shoot "downhill" and the club I shoot at shoots "uphill". I will go to a new club Saturday so dont know how it is set up. I will have enough spacers to make allowances on their benches.

Setup of the bench equipment is just as important as a good rifle, lot # of ammo, maybe more so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2015, 10:22 PM

TPC Rating: 
67% (1)
Thanks guys. I'm still sorting out problems with my new rig. I have finally settled on the best ammo for my rifle, after trying every match round known to man. I have a Sinclair adapter plate on my stock, which raises the the rifle in the rest. I may need a spacer under my rear bag to lower POA.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:45 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
+1 on swo1's comments.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:35 AM
Don Stith

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Make sure the barrel is not bumping the front stop when you get to the lower row.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:09 AM
striperfisher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
From my experiences with shooting a 2013 br50 that also has a sloped rear stock.
You need to limit the recoil of the rifle sliding back in the rear bag with shoulder pressure on the but pad.

Make sure you position the stock against your shoulder the same for every shot or you will have fliers!!!! And try to keep the same amount of tension against the stock each shot.

I was shooting a match last night with a friend of mine Watching me shoot.

My gun was moving at least 1.5 " rearward after the shot and shooting like crap.
First target I shot 250 12x on a IBS target.

Next target with taking his advice about controlling the recoil was 250 17x
A big improvement.

I was suprised to see how much pressure I had to put against the stock to limit it to mabey .5"
Old 09-04-2015, 11:47 AM

TPC Rating: 
67% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stith View Post
Make sure the barrel is not bumping the front stop when you get to the lower row.
Thanks Don. I have a Sinclair forend adapter on the stock, and I have the stop adjusted to hit the adapter when I push the rifle faoward.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:58 AM
swo1
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by striperfisher View Post
From my experiences with shooting a 2013 br50 that also has a sloped rear stock.
You need to limit the recoil of the rifle sliding back in the rear bag with shoulder pressure on the but pad.

Make sure you position the stock against your shoulder the same for every shot or you will have fliers!!!! And try to keep the same amount of tension against the stock each shot.

My gun was moving at least 1.5 " rearward after the shot and shooting like crap.

A big improvement.

I was suprised to see how much pressure I had to put against the stock to limit it to mabey .5"
Different ways for different people. I shoot Free Recoil. Dont limit the gun recoil at all. Mine slides back 1-1.5". I just push it back against the stop. My gun weighs 13 lb. 3 oz. We shoot the IBS target for Factory guns and IR 50/50 targets for Unlimited guns. I shoot both the same way. My 40X BR also has a sloped butt. Free recoil is the most prevalent style. Of the top 6 shooters two shoot with a Hard Hold and shoulder against the butt. The other 4 of us only touch the trigger. After lining up the cross hairs and dot I sit straight up away from the gun and bench and dont look thu the scope as I touch the trigger. 250s with good X count to place in either.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:00 PM

TPC Rating: 
67% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by striperfisher View Post

A big improvement.

My results were the same as yours. I tried the free recoil method, and had no idea where the shot was going to impact. I found shoulder pressure works the best for me also. I`m trying to do everything the same each shot, but I get a few fliers. I`ll have to work on consistency. Then there is the wind. Oh well, If it was easy everyone would be doing it.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:54 PM
2500X

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
My results were the same as yours. I tried the free recoil method, and had no idea where the shot was going to impact. I found shoulder pressure works the best for me also. I`m trying to do everything the same each shot, but I get a few fliers. I`ll have to work on consistency. Then there is the wind. Oh well, If it was easy everyone would be doing it.
If a .22 bench gun won't shoot well with the free recoil method, there is something wrong with your set-up. I even shoot my sporter free recoil with no problems. Consistency is of utmost importance in BR and it is hard to duplicate the amount of pressure on the buttstock when it is being held. When shooting free recoil, consistency is easy to achieve, if your set-up is good. The overwhelming majority of top rimfire benchrest shooters shoot free recoil. Over my years in BR I have used both methods (holding early on) and free recoil is the better method.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:20 PM
tommyt654

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I think it's more dependent on the rifle itself. My Kimber and Suhl like free recoil,while my 40X and M12 like to be held, the M12 not too tightly while the 40x I almost have to put a lot of pressure back it into my shoulder for best accuracy from it,I could be completely wrong but have tried a lot of different methods with all 4 and they are all different,kinda like findin ammo for each one
Old 09-04-2015, 07:34 PM
2500X

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've tested a lot of rifles for a rimfire benchrest gunsmith over the years and I've never found one that could not be shot well free recoil. I stick with my assessment that if a benchrest rifle will not shoot free recoil, that there is a problem somewhere; either in the set-up, the stock, or possibly in the bedding.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:44 PM
2500X

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Just moving the bag back farther on the stock to allow you to shoot a lower row of targets should not be a problem. I have done that lots of times. You need to make sure that you have not twisted the back bag out of alignment with the front bag; that will cause binding. Of course moving the bag rearward will change POI because that is your whole point of moving it, to allow for a lower POI, but it should not affect your grouping or accuracy. The best solution to your problem is to have a spacer (or two) under your rear bag. I find that with my front rest and my Edgewood Mini Gator rear bag that I need 2 spacers for most of the ranges where I shoot.