Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-29-2017, 03:57 PM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Range Report on my 17 and 22 Hornet

We guys I was able to go a sight in my 527 American in 17 hornet and double check my 527 American in 22 Hornet today.

front to back: 17 Hornet, 22 Hornet and 222 Remington

I got out there about 45 yards to sight in the 17 HH and it did ok...the bolt was very stiff to work and the cartridge did not want to feed....even with my thumb pushing on the very back of the bolt.

it started way to the right and I walked it over to where I was comfortable.

I then when to 100yards out and both the 22 Hornet and 17 Hornet were hitting high and I brought both of them down. here is the target.

I went back and forth because the 17 Hornet barrel was starting to heat up so I went and shot the 22 Hornet. I was really surprised the 17 Hornet was so hard to chamber a round and the 22 Hornet was smooth as butter. I guess I will just have to work the 17 Hornet in some more.

I shot two 20 gauge shotgun shells with my 22 Hornet back to back sitting on top of my target and for me that is fantastic and I tried with the 17 hornet and missed several times...I went to adjust the magnification ring and the whole scope moved I did not tighten the scope ring base screws enough. I retighten and went back to the target...I think it was around # 10. So shot #11 and later was with the scope retighten and a few more adjustments....after shot #14 I was then able to shoot a 20 gauge shotgun shell.

I also checked the noise level between the two rounds and as far as I can tell they are the same noise level.

Between the two: my 22 Hornet rocks and the 17 Hornet is a work in progress. The 22 Hornet made me smile and dance all the way home...the 17 H shows potential. I think after I shoot the 17 HH for a while longer it too will be smoother. Even with a BOB Sled I got from Alum572 the 17 hornet still did don't feed like it should...I had to work the bolt several times like double feeding it before it would chamber the round. The last few rounds the 17H did feed better.

Signalman

Last edited by Signalman; 07-29-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:03 PM
alum572
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
I think after I shoot the 17 HH for a while longer it too will be smoother. Even with a BOB Sled I got from Alum572 the 17 hornet still did don't feed like it should...I had to work the bolt several times like double feeding it before it would chamber the round. The last few rounds the 17H did feed better.

Does the Calhoun single shot adapter do the same thing? Maybe that Mauser style bolt is not sliding under and up over the rim when it feeds the round? Watch it closely as you chamber. Is the bullet tip making contact? Or is it the edge of the case mouth? Some CZ 527's might have a very sharp chamber mouth.

I can't remember if the .22 Hornet single shot adapters are also designed for the .17 Hornet. Maybe not.

Good you got out there today. Range time is always good time.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:22 PM
transalp1961

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
CZ 17 Hornet

My CZ 17 Hornet does not chamber the best either. I ordered the Calhoun single shot adapter and it does not work at all. I contacted Calhoun, he said to send the rifle to him wih the single shot adapter and he can make the necessary adjustments so it will work flawlessly. If I remember, it would cost around $55 for him to make the changes.

I am going to send mine back to CZ first and them see what they can do.

My CZ 17 Hornet is extremely accurate. The only problem I have is trying to handload to the same accuracy as the Hornady factory loads. AA1680 and AA2200 provided the best accuracy so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2017, 07:24 PM
mmpsteve

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great start Signalman, Sir. I'm assuming the bolt will wear in as you shoot it more. Which 17 and 22 Hornet rounds were you using? Did you inspect your fired 17 Brass? Everything look normal?

Last edited by mmpsteve; 07-29-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:38 PM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmpsteve View Post
Great start Signalman, Sir. I'm assuming the bolt will wear in as you shoot it more. Which 17 and 22 Hornet rounds were you using? Did you inspect your fired 17 Brass? Everything look normal?
mmpsteve sir:

I got a case of each.

No I did not look at the brass I will go check now...if I find anything I will report back.

SM
Old 07-29-2017, 07:49 PM
mmpsteve

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My questions might have sounded silly to some folks, regarding your fired cases. But the hard chambering made me curious as to scrape marks or any other visual clues.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:58 PM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alum572 View Post
I think after I shoot the 17 HH for a while longer it too will be smoother. Even with a BOB Sled I got from Alum572 the 17 hornet still did don't feed like it should...I had to work the bolt several times like double feeding it before it would chamber the round. The last few rounds the 17H did feed better.

Does the Calhoun single shot adapter do the same thing? Maybe that Mauser style bolt is not sliding under and up over the rim when it feeds the round? Watch it closely as you chamber. Is the bullet tip making contact? Or is it the edge of the case mouth? Some CZ 527's might have a very sharp chamber mouth.

I can't remember if the .22 Hornet single shot adapters are also designed for the .17 Hornet. Maybe not.

Good you got out there today. Range time is always good time.
yes Alum572 sir both of them did it and yes I will be sending you a PM very soon. the Calhoun single shot adaptor worked like a dream in my 22 Hornet...even with the factory magazine the 17 hornet did not feed very well at all some would but most did not. I could not even hand load into the chamber...even with the rifle almost straight up and down...it drove me crazy. It seamed if I had two rounds in the magazine it did feed better...some time. I think the Mauser style bolt was allowing the cartridge to slide under the claw and not allowing the cartridge to completely fit in to the bolt face...probably tight because it so new. If I got it in the chamber I did not want to force the clay over the rim... so I raised up the barrel allowing the cartridge to fall out and reloaded into the magazine and it fed better that way.

SM