Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:21 PM
benhar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stupid questions about filler screws

So I got my filler screws in the mail from Ruger, and took the top rail off my Tactical last night. I noticed I was able to set the front two in a little below flush. Then on the back one, I realized that it goes right through the bottom where it can interfere with the bolt. So, I backed it out, put on some blue Loctite, and put it back in, making sure not to go too far.

So, stupid question... is there any risk of damage having the front two screws slightly below flush? I assumed those were just normal holes with nothing to damage or interfere with at the bottom. Don't think I overtightened them, that's just where they ended up snug.

Second (and less stupid) question... what's the best way to grind down the screws so they don't snag or scratch anything, while not damaging the bluing on the gun?
Old 06-01-2017, 06:56 AM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by benhar View Post
is there any risk of damage having the front two screws slightly below flush? I assumed those were just normal holes with nothing to damage or interfere with at the bottom. Don't think I overtightened them, that's just where they ended up snug.
I have used a couple of pieces of small lead shot to "fill" holes like this when using plug screws. The shot easily crushes to fill the space. You could also use blue loctite and just stop turning the screws when they align.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:58 PM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had two misadventures with filler screw slots crumbling. I will never use them again. Instead I use short scope mount base screws; they have a head, but not tall enough to interfere with open sight use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2017, 01:03 PM
JStacy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
I turn them all flush ,align the screw slots and apply a small drop of clear finger nail polish on each screw head to keep them in place.